SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_c

Intruder in my house

marilyn_c
11 years ago

I mentioned this on another forum and on FB, so some of you have already heard about it.

I woke up yesterday morning, just before daylight, to my dogs barking ferociously. It had rained hard the night before, so I had let them all sleep inside. One was in my bedroom and four were in the rest of the house. I thought a raccoon had managed to get inside the house. It has happened before. My feet hit the floor and I heard my front door open and close. I said, "Just a minute." There is one person who has come here and just comes inside....and knocks on my bedroom door. I thought it was her, and I was pretty aggravated but figured it had to be something urgent for her to do that. I opened the bedroom door, and no one there and then I look to the left and see a man standing in my dining room. I wasn't dressed...I had on a tee shirt and nothing else. Words were exchanged...he said he wanted to use my phone. I told him no....will spare you the f bombs. I yelled to my husband, "Jody, get the gun!" and he came out...naked, because that is how he sleeps....and I told him to shoot the **. The man ran out of the house like he had been shot....which he hadn't, and Jody stepped out on the porch and fired four times....not trying to hit him or anything else...just to keep him moving along.

At first I was thinking he had come up from the bayou. He was only wearing a pair of baggy shorts. I thought maybe he had sunk his boat or something. (Someone always on the bayou...rain or shine...looking for something to steal.)

Sheriff deputy came in about 30 minutes....fastest time ever. I live out in the county and where I live, it is very secluded. There are two other houses visible on my road and another one, like mine, that sets off the road down a long driveway, in the woods. In front of me, woods and no house or roads...beyond that, a hay field and a highway. Our property is entirely wooded except right in the middle where my house is, and it sits right on the bayou.

While the deputy was here, a car drove down the road, and then turned and peeled out. I'm glad he did that, because if he had just driven slowly away, he wouldn't have attracted any attention at all. But the deputy left to chase him, and some other deputies who were already on the way, were coming down the road from the highway, and when the driver saw that, he cut across a hay field, and they chased him in a big circle around the hay field. At one point, he tried to run over a deputy who was on foot, and they fired about 10 shots at him and also he crashed the car into one of their vehicles, but he was still able to keep going, and back across the hayfield and crashed into the woods.

This turned out to be the partner of the guy who was in my house. That guy....the one in my house...had run through 10 acres of very dense woods....brush and wild roses growing all through it, and ended up under my neighbor's house. She lives in a beach house...up on stilts. She came out with a gun, and he asked to be taken to the hospital. He had a big gash on his chest...probably where he hit a barbed wire fence between us and that woods. She made him get in the back of the truck and lay down. As she drove down the road, she saw all the sheriff deputies who were now on the scene and asked them if they were looking for another one. So both of the bad guys are now in jail with multiple charges against them.

I don't know the rest of the story....all I know is they aren't from around here and "got lost". That may be true that they were having a hard time finding their way out of here because where I live is off the beaten path. It is the most rural area around and no direct access to any of the main highways. I have a feeling they committed a crime somewhere....Houston maybe, and ended up out here, and couldn't find their way back to the main highways. However, I don't believe the man came in my house to use the phone or ask for directions. He didn't knock on the door and he didn't stop at one of the two houses that are up by the road, on the same road I live on. The deputies told me they were on some kind of "substance"....didn't say what, but I am inclined to think it was meth. It had to be something to make them act very crazy....like, who would go inside someone's house like that....and unfortunately, my dogs will bark, but they don't bite, except maybe, Zelda....who is the smallest one.

I will be buying more bullets....maybe another pistol. I will be getting a meaner dog, as soon as I get a fence that will confine it. I have no idea what this guy meant to do, but I am sure he wasn't stopping by to use the phone or ask directions.

Comments (44)