SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connieinnd

Flax Seed

nodakgal
16 years ago

DD Heather sent a magazine article about the benefits of flax seed in your diet. DH is not liking his diet the doc put him on for his high cholesterol and triglycerides.

We did a little research and are going to buy some.

I read you can put it in oatmeal,breads,muffins,pancakes and things like that.

If you take it, how do you eat it? Just looking for more ideas. I am going to try and find a recipe for muffins with it.

Comments (28)

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Look in the health food section of your store, and you should be able to buy flax seed meal. It will have instructions on how to use it in baking. I haven't used it in awhile, but the pack I had had a recipe for muffins on the back. I believe you just added a tablespoon of it, sort of like bran muffins.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

I bought the Flax Seed and add it to Ground Beef and Canned Salmon and Tuna. But, the Flax Oil seems easier to use. My Friend even gave a little to her Grandbaby who had terrible stomach cramps. (I question that, but she said the Doc said OK)

It was recommended to me to grind the Flax Seed as it could cause a bulk problem.

• Related Discussions

Have: Blue Flax Seed

Q

Comments (3)
    I am interested in some of your Blue Flax seeds. Kindly visit my Exchange List Link ( below ) and tell me what you want. I am open to any reasonable "deal". THANK YOU! Here is a link that might be useful: Exchange List Link
    ...See More

Does Scarlet Flax Seed Over

Q

Comments (3)
    I have never had luck with linums, although I like them a lot. I googled scarlet flax because I'm not familiar with it, and read that the seedlings can't take frost. I'd imagine that would make it difficult for the plant to self sow, but I didn't quite find the answer to that question.
    ...See More

Cleaning Blue Flax seeds (Linum narbonense)

Q

Comments (4)
    Chopping off the plant while the stems are green and drying for a couple of months I find that not all the seed have fallen from the seedpods on their own but it is now easy to break up the seedpods by rolling a flower pot over them on a table. The germination test was good. I did not actually count how may seeds I used or what percentage germinated but it was good enough for armature gardening needs.
    ...See More

flax seed questions

Q

Comments (10)
    Whole flax seeds act like a laxative and offer very little of the nutritional value available from the seeds when they are ground into flaxmeal. In order to get the health benefits from the seeds you need to pulverize them, which is easy to do in a coffee/spice mill. Your choice, add the flaxmeal to the cereal while it's cooking, or add it when served and just stir it in. By milling your own, you not only save a lot of money but you are assured you have the freshest meal possible. Once the seed coat (bran) is broken, the oils are exposed to oxygen and they quickly degrade, go rancid and become a free-radical, which voids all the health benefits. FRESH IS BEST! Personally, I'd avoid using commercially-milled flaxmeal and opt for milling your own. Once milled, you can keep a small user-friendly amount in the freezer (enough for a few days). Freezing it will slow down the loss of nutrition and the oil degrading, but freezing will NOT completely prevent it from happening. I mill and use 1 cup of flaxmeal every 2-3 days and store it in the freezer. I add it to all our baked goods and smoothie each morning. Another good add-in would be chia seeds which do NOT need to be pulverized before using them in order to get the nutritional boost from them. -Grainlady
    ...See More
  • donna_loomis
    16 years ago

The recipe on the back of Bob'x Red Mill Flax Seed (like JunkYardGirl said) is totally delicious! People who aren't trying to eat healthy always tell me how good they are.

I like to just chew on the seeds.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep from what I understand it is better to grind it because it breaks the tough outer shell and it is quicker to absorb. Plus it would be hard to chew the actual seed without grinding it.
    I am pretty sure our grocery store sells it, at least I *think* I saw it there.
    The flax seed is supposed to be high in Omega 3 fatty acids and actually better than the pills I read. I have no idea if its true, but thats what we will try is the seed.

• azzalea
    16 years ago

Definitely grind it--otherwise it will 'go through whole', if you catch my drift, and you'll get no benefit from it.

It has a high fat content, so it can go rancid quickly. Be sure to buy it from a source that has a high turn over, then store in the freezer until you need it. You can use it right from the freezer, it defrosts almost instantly.

You'll find it's delicious--and makes a nice addition to baked goods, salads, sprinkled over veg, etc.

Just remember, it is a seed. That means it's packed with nutrition--all the energy needed for a plant to get a good start in life. That also means, though, it's high in calories. So you want to find the right balance, so that you get the benefit, but not extra pounds.

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

I used to use Flax Oil daily. It really doesn't taste very good though. The only way I could really stomach it was to drizzle some over my vegetables or mix with vinegar, stevia and lime juice (may have that wrong - it's been a while) for a salad dressing.

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I buy ground flax seed in the flour section. Once opened, keep in refrigerator, in a airtight container.
    I put 2 TBL in my oatmeal. Keeps your tubes clean, as well.

Used to buy it at health food store, and used my coffee grinder just to grind the seeds, messy. Really like the ground Millhouse or something, better.

Tried flax oil, but doesn't seem to work for me as well as the ground flax does.

• alisande
    16 years ago

My Walmart sells Hodgson Mill milled flax seed in the baking aisle. Very good and reasonably priced. I'm guessing this is what Glenda gets, too.

Not surprising that your DH doesn't like the diet, but he'll get used to it.

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought it might be in the flour section but wasn't sure.
    I am glad to know Walmart has it!We often make the 45 minute drive, can save LOTS. It's just a regular Walmart til June then they open the Super Walmart. But I am going to the big city wedding shopping on Saturday and I might run across it there or at Sams.

• nicole_ont
    16 years ago

I buy the ground flax seed as well. I use it in baking, sprinkle it on top of our cereal, throw it in spaghetti.... Anything.

I actually find it in the vitamin section in the grocery store.

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

I get mine at whole foods, unless I am at the Amish store (45 miles away). I can get it at the local grocery store, but that stuff doesn't move very fast there, and I don't want "old" stuff.

I also grind mine, in an electric coffee grinder that I use only for flax seed.

All mine is consumed in my breakfast muesli mix, that I concoct myself.

Moni

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

I buy the Bob's Red Mill that is already ground fine and sprinkle on cold cereal or oatmeal. This is very good flaxseed.Someone mentioned the receipe on the back which does look good but I have not tried it.
    Bran Flax Muffins
    1 1/2 flour
    3/4 C flax seed meal
    3/4 C.oat bran
    1 c.brown sugar
    2 tea.Baking soda
    1 tea baking powder
    1/2 tea. salt - 2 tea, cinnamon
    1 1/2 c carrots, shreddded
    2 apples,peeled and shredded
    1/2 c. raisins(0pt.)
    1 cup nuts
    3/4C milk
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tea vanilla.

I am sure everyone knows how to mix up muffins so I didn't think it necessary to add that.
    These sure sound yummy so I'll have to give them a try.
    Lois

• notjannaz10
    16 years ago

I buy the flax seed oil in liquid form and mix about 2 tablespoons in about double that amount of chocolate milk. Stir it up real good and unless the oil has gone rancid (which can happen no matter what you do to prevent it!) you can scarcely taste it.

I don't know if it helped my chloresterol any, but it sure made my joints stop aching.

Jann

• shea
    16 years ago

I also use Bob's, the ground kind. As others have noted, eating it whole will do no good. Also be aware that some people do not absorb flax seed, even in the ground state. In addition to the uses posted here, I have tried stirring it into some low-sodium tomato juice, either V-8 or Campbell's (just make sure to get low sodium). I started with a tablespoon in about 6 ounces of juice, then progressed to 2 tablespoons. You don't want too much at the start, as it does have fiber, and you don't want to end up with diarrhea. ;-) Also I added some water to thin it a bit, because the flax made the juice very thick. I find the nutty flavor of the flax goes well with the tomato juice. Definitely keep it refrigerated. I keep it in a coffee can in the refrigerator, with the expiration date written on the can.

If he is taking fish oil supplements, make sure they are high quality, and pure so as not to be contaminated with mercury. I use a liquid fish oil (rather than capsules), Carlson's Very Finest Fish Oil. It has a lemon taste and I don't think it tastes bad at all. I have no fishy burps with it like I did when I was taking inferior fish oil capsules. I buy it at Amazon, and I think it is available at Vitamin Shoppe stores.

Another good supplement for the heart is CoQ10. Again, make sure it is high quality, and the best kind to get is a softgel that contains oil (such as rice bran oil) for better absorption.

Although both fish oil and CoQ10 are recognized by cardiologists as effective, you might want to check with his doctor before starting him on anything new.

You have been working so hard to feed him properly! I hope his taste buds will soon acclimate to the new way of eating so that he doesn't miss the old, unhealthy things so much. When I recently turned over a new leaf, I found that after a couple of weeks I no longer craved the bad stuff. I try to keep in mind that I am eating for nourishment and health, not for entertainment/comfort! As my husband says whenever we sit down to a meal of organic beans and brown rice, "It's fuel!"

I remember you posting last week that he likes to snack on Cheetos and that sort of stuff. Boy can I relate! I can eat a bag of those in one sitting, and would start craving it if I let myself think about it. Would he consider healthier snacks like fruit and raw, unsalted nuts? That is mostly what I eat for snacks. Frozen cherries (I like to pop them in my mouth still in the frozen state), oranges, apples, and berries. And I buy the large bags of walnuts, almonds, and pecans at Sam's. I put about a cup of each, mixed together, into a sealed container to keep in the pantry, and store the rest in the freezer. Another snack we allow ourselves about once a week is homemade popcorn, popped in extra-virgin coconut oil. Avoid microwave popcorn like the plague! I also like grape or cherry tomatoes and pieces of cucumber, but tire of carrots and celery. If there is a raw veggie he will use as a snack, that would be great. Pistachios are also a treat we enjoy.

Good luck, Connie, I know your loving care will make a huge difference to him!

• nodakgal
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the vote of confidence Shea and all the advice.
    I have bought more fruit in the past week then I have since the kids were home! LOL Pears and more pears and apples and cantaloupe now. He still thinks he can eat some of the foods that aren't good for him, but that he has to eat less. I try to tell him no you really should avoid them. He listens on some things and not on others! He eats a pear and then stands in front of the pantry and says he's still hungry!!

• OklaMoni
    16 years ago

LOL

He eats a pear and then stands in front of the pantry and says he's still hungry!!

give him another pear! LOL

Moni

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I suggest PB on the pear~ :o)

Well!!!!!!!!!!!! Would satisfy ME!

• User
    16 years ago

Its in the flour section at walmart, publix has it with there pumpkin seeds & odd stuff. I grind mine in a coffee bean grinder. You can put it in breads you bake & cereals. I don't use it too often, kinda new to it.

• ivamae
    16 years ago

When I was a teen ager, my Dr. had us steep whole flaxseed in water, strain it and drink the gel like tea. Along with exercise it helped my atonic colon .

My mother also used to add whole flaxseed to oatmeal porridge
    ivamae

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

I eat flax meal not seed - plain - two heaping teaspoons washed down with grape juice - not that your DH would be interested in that "recipe".

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

I take an EPA supplement that has fish/flax/and some other kind of oil in it. I have to keep it in the frig too.

• petaloid
    16 years ago

I take flax seed oil capsules and also use the ground flax seed (high in fiber), adding it to cereal, yogurt, cottage cheese and homemade meat loaf.

My DH likes to grind the whole flax seeds himself and stores the meal in the fridge, but if it were me I'd probably buy the meal that's already ground -- I see that Trader Joe's carries it.

• kacram
    16 years ago

this is an interesting article....
    Not all omega-3s are equal when it comes to heart health

YouNewsTVStory Published: Mar 27, 2008 at 5:22 PM PDT

Story Updated: Apr 2, 2008 at 9:04 AM PDT
    By Herb Weisbaum
    Listen
    Watch the story Can food with omega-3 fatty acids really prevent heart disease? It all depends.

Omega-3s are good for you. They can greatly reduce your chances of sudden cardiac arrest, which is almost always fatal.

The miracle fats are one of the hottest food additives right now. They're being used to move a lot of food products.

Maybe you've noticed. A growing number of products on the supermarket shelf now proclaim they contain omega-3s.

That's why so many things, from cereal to pancake mix, are now made with flaxseed. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil are good sources of omega 3s.

But, it turns out, not all omega-3s are the same.

There are three kinds of omega-3 fats: DHA, EPA and ALA. Both DHA and EPA, which are found in fish oil, can help your heart. ALA, the type of omega-3s found in flax seeds, soybeans and canola oil, do not prevent heart disease.

David Schardt, senior nutritionist with the Center for Science in the Public Interest, is concerned about the mega-marketing of omega-3s.

"Manufacturers who use flax, they can use soy and canola oil because they have some omega-3's. But it's not the right kind," he said. "It's a cheaper, more convenient form of omega-3's and it allows manufacturers to put omega-3's on the label. But it's deceptive, because it's not the kind that protects your heart."

Schardt says while the big omega-3 claim is usually on the front of the package, the type of omega-3 is usually indicated in smaller print, or not there at all.

One example is the Smart Balance Buttery Spread. It's loaded with omega-3s, but only a little of it is the heart-healthy DHA type.

"The labels are misleading in the sense that (it implies) you're going to get a lot of the good Omega -3. And you get some, but not as much as the label seems to imply," said Schardt.

Schardt advises consumers to be careful when reading labels and looking for omega-3s.

Find out. First, is it the right kind of Omega-3, the DHA and EPA, and are you getting a reasonable amount? You need about 500 mg per day. Most food products do not contain that amount.

So what do you do? How do you get the heart-healthy omega-3s? Eat fish at least twice a week. You want fatty fish, such as salmon, rainbow trout, sardines or mackerel. Even a tuna fish sandwich will help. A 3-ounce serving of albacore tuna has around 240 mg of the good omega-3s. That's more than half of the recommended daily intake.

What if you just can't eat that much fish?

You can take fish oil pills. These are one of the few supplements that seem to work about as well as the real thing.

In fact, the American Heart Association says people who have heart disease should take a daily fish oil supplement with 1,000 mg. That's 1 gram of DHA and EPA.

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

I got a bucket of flax from brother's friend that farms his land a few years ago and just ran out of it.

It's a *lot* more expensive in the bulk store!

I'm to visit brother again this summer - family reunion.

I've added it to cooked cereal and to the bread-machine bread.

But I haven't ground it, and have heard that it sort of says, "Hi!" on the way in ...

... and "Bye!" on the way out ...

... and hasn't contributed much if anything to my nutrition along the downward route of my digestive tract.

My sister-in-law grinds hers in a coffee grinder, and some of us here were wondering a while ago whether it would mess up the coffee.

But someone said that we should sell the coffee to Starcurrency as some new and exotic brand ... for big bucks, of course.

Or should that be, " ... to sell to Starbucks for big currency"?

ole joyful

• Marcia Thornley
    16 years ago

Because I eat a Reduced Carb Diet I use Flax seed meal everyday. Here is a great link for you with info and recipes to make some really tasty muffins etc. You must use the flax seed meal and drink lots of water!

• orie
    16 years ago

I love flax seed. I buy Uncle Sam cereal and eat it w/yogurt. Be careful if you have diverticulitis! The seeds get caught in the intestinal pockets- not good. My MIL cann't have it so maybe this is when the ground seed or oil would be best.

• grams33
    16 years ago

I have used flax seed for years for lowering colestrol. I am not sure it works for everyone but can't hurt. To get any benefit from it it MUST be ground. I simply take a tablespoon each morning and wash it down with water/juice whatever liquid. We can buy it any where here and I grind it with a coffee grinder.

• janie_ga
    16 years ago

It is quite good baked into chocolate chip cookies, LOL. I reduce the amount of flour by the amount of flaxseed, usually 1/4 cup.

Feed him lots of tomatoes sauce recipes, you can hide anything in hat stuff!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida