SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rweb1970

Small Kitchen Layout Help Needed

13 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for ideas on redesigning my small kitchen and eating area. Both my wife and I enjoy cooking/baking and the layout we have just doesn't work for us. Issues we have:

- We have a young child and almost always have a drying rack for dishes/bottles out above the DW which limits our counter space.

- Not enough storage space

- Prep area is really only big enough for one person.

- Prep area is more or less blocked if someone is at the stove.

- Corner cabinet between stove and sink is completely inaccessible (except around the plumbing clean-out).

- We do not have a formal dining room and would like to have the potential to seat 8 for the occasional dinner with extended family and/or friends.

- We'd like to have a door into the garage.

- With young kids, I'm not at all a fan of bar-type seating.

Here is what the layout currently looks like:

{{!gwi}}

Here is the 'optional' floor plan if the builder decided to include a garage door (we don't currently have any way of entering the garage except from outside).

{{!gwi}}

My first thought was to remove the load-bearing wall that separates the kitchen and family room but removing it completely would necesitate a new section of foundation in the basement to support the increased point-loads and very some creative plumbing/hvac work.

Nevertheless, here is my very rough idea in sketch-up (note, I've reversed the layout because that's the model we own):

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Using two larger columns to provide both structural support and plumbing/hvac runs is also a possibility but given the 10' width of the kitchen, I just cannot make it work when I tried to lay it out. In this case, we thought about trying to fit a built-in eating area and replace the back patio door (sliding) with a single glass-paned door and a window.

I'm very keen to hear everyone's thoughs. Thanks.

Comments (4)