SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hughes7809

Need small eat in kitchen layout help.

hughes7809
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hey all, I'm a GardenWeb lurker and ready to soon embark on our gut reno of our 1930s Philadelphia style rowhome. Current layout is an entry way at the front door, where you're looking directly at the stairs, and next to that a hall to the galley kitchen. To your right is the living room. In the adjacent corner from the entry is a dining room with a small opening to kitchen and a wide opening to the living room. In order to achieve a couple things on the first floor I'm wanting turn the dining room into an eat in kitchen, my reasons are because A) the dining room is underutilized, B) I want to add a powder room and laundry facilities to the first floor, and I've decided the current galley kitchen is the best place to do that. That said, the dining room, while large for its current purpose, will make a small eat in kitchen. I will attempt to add the basic design I made on the Ikea planner. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate any and all help. There are a couple hang-ups. We are working with second hand cabinets and will have to utilize what we have to the best of our ability. I don't have an exact list here but we do not have any corners nor smaller cabinets (15, 18, 21 wide) that I know of. We are considering seeing if we can buy coordinating ones if we have specific needs. The cabinets are slab doors in a medium brown. Our budget is slim but fortunately we can do everything ourselves. We already have flooring, drywall, cabinets, stove, dishwasher. We are open to suggestions on sink (prefer 24" single bowl), refrigerator (would like french door), and dining table options (DIY banquette is an option). Typically our usage would be for 2 adults and 2 small children, occasional guests, and, more frequently, aging parents. The windows and doorways may be able to be changed around & resized, the only consideration to leaving the small doorway is the fact that it is the quickest way outside (grilling, etc) but it is up for discussion, though there is a large air return on the floor in that vicinity. If you got through all of this, thank you so much for your time! I couldn't find the post instructions on the new site so hopefully I did this correctly.

Comments (27)