SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Foul smell from washing machine upon emptying

gtrshop
14 years ago

A few months back I posted that when my wife does laundry with our Whirlpool HE front-loaders, there is an awful smell that comes from the laundry sink. At the time it was somewhat concluded that the P-trap might be drying out, or there was a problem with the vent stack. Not sure I agree that the trap can dry out overnight, but I'm no plumber.

I discovered back then - or thought I did - that by plugging the drain for the laundry sink, filling the sink with water that submerges the outlet house of the washing machine (and monitoring VERY closely), I could elminiate the smell. The discharge hose is simply attached to the side of the sink and vents into the bottom of the sink. Not ideal, I know...

Well today I went through the same exercise. As soon as dirty water was being pumped out by the washer, I pulled the plug. Before even pulling the plug, I noticed the a foul smell, it was quite strong, and perhaps I pulled the plug too early for my fix to work, but there was a noticeable odour. I thought as I left the laundry room it might be coming from the washing machine itself.

Qustions then...

- is that possible, the smell could come from the machine? we have cleaned the catch-all area in the washing machine that is prone to getting dirty.

- would it make any difference whether the discharge of the washing machine (if properly plumbed into sink drain was before or after the P-trap? To me I would think that it would make sense to dicharge the water on the "Closed" side of the p-trap...to use the trap to contain the gasses.

- should it make any difference whether the wahing machine dischare is plumbed into the drain at all or simply secured ( as it is now) so that the outlet is near the drain in the sink?

Tx

Steve

Comments (3)