SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xhappyx

Please advise with how to clean this washing machine out. Thanks

xhappyx
12 years ago

First the back story: My next door neighbors are moving and they had a washer and dryer that they wanted to give away as they will not be needing them where they are moving to. So I found someone to come take them. With this, I swapped out our washer for theirs because they were about the same age and their washer was bigger and had more features on it. I have always been good about keeping our washer clean and careful not to overdose with detergent, etc. They were not so good about this at all. It is a really big commercial style top loader with a stainless drum, etc. The fabric softener dispenser on the top of the washer I don't think had ever been cleaned... EVER. It was filled with dog hair, and someone had dumped liquid detergent in it as various points and it was a big gooped up mess. It was gross enough to make you want to lose your lunch when you looked at it. I went online and found out how to remove this to clean it out. The inside of the agitator was all gunked up too with lots of very gross stuff, so I cleaned that out too. I cleaned around the top of the drum as it was caked with dog hair. The machine looks clean but I know it isn't. I can smell that detergent overdose build up when I smell the machine with the lid opened. I am worried what is sitting on the outside of the drum.

I am thinking I should fill it up with really hot water and let it soak with something to clean it.

I have a 5 gallon bucket of citric acid sitting here, as well as vinegar, bleach, washing soda, baking soda and borax. Which one of these products should I use to clean it? I know a lot of the washing machine cleaners are citric based so citric acid might work, but then will that kill any possible mold sitting in the machine that I can't see? Should I just use bleach instead and let it just sit in the machine overnight and run it with a super hot load to clean it? Or should I just do 2 cleanings? One with citric acid and then another one following with bleach?

Do you think just using a bleach soaking will be sufficient to ensure this machine is removed of all build up? I ran a small load with some throw rugs and the machine had lots of suds despite not adding any detergent.

Please advise and help me out here. Thanks in advance for any advice with cleaning this thing out, since I have never had to do any sort of cleaning like this before on any of our machines as I don't overdose on detergents and I always keep the lid open to let the washer dry out between loads and I have never had a problem before. I wipe down our washer when I am running a load of whites and just take a towel out and wipe down the washer with the bleach/detergent water on a regular basis and our machines have always remained very clean. So this is all new to me :)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz