SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarakay_gw

Please help me find a simple sturdy washing machine

sarakay
11 years ago

Yesterday my Maytag washer, which I think is 8-10 years old, CAUGHT ON FIRE while I was doing a small load. Luckily, I was home at the time. I'll never leave the house while washing again.

So I am in the market for a new machine and am doing a little preliminary research before hitting the stores. Would a kind soul or two here point me in the right direction?

My requirements are minimal, usually 2-3 loads a week.

- one in hot water for towels, socks etc.

- one in cold water for light items - sheets, blouses etc.

- one in cold water for dark clothing.

No diapers, and greasy or muddy items are very infrequent. The local laundromat will do big items like blankets or comforters.

That's it. Am a little intimidated by the descriptions of new washing machines. I don't need a ton of cycles or settings. Basically, I just want to dump the detergent and clothes in the washer and have them come out clean.

Simple is better. Anything beyond on/off, hot/cold and normal/delicate is probably unnecessary for me. Another must is build quality. Seeing smoke stream out from under the old washer's lid was pretty unsettling.

I think an old fashioned top loader would be the right fit but you folks are the experts.

My very preliminary research has turned up the entry level Speed Queen as a candidate. Any other recommendations, especially those that would be a bit less pricey, would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)