SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdenyer232

This aint your mothers washing machine

jdenyer232
16 years ago

Front loading washing machines have been the subject of much debate. Some people swear by them, yet others swear at them. Here is my take on front loaders. All machinery requires some maintenance and repair from time to time, and your FL'er washer is no exception. Before you run that first load of wash through your new $$$$ washing machine here are some hints that will help keep you running trouble free. First read the owners manual, it has all the info that the manufacturer needs you to know for proper operation. Next, make sure the installation is correct, those guys that deliver and install your new washer and dryer are not installation guys, they are delivery drivers. On your scheduled day of delivery meet them right at the truck, do not let them remove the shipping bolts until after the machines have been moved to their intended location. Inspect the machines carefully for any damage that may have occured in transit. It is best at this point to do your own installation according to the owners manual. You will need to make sure that the machines are level, and that the water is hooked up properly, also now is a good time to check your dryer venting. Pay close attention to how far the drain hose of the washer goes down into the standpipe, there must be and air gap here or the washer can siphon sewer water back into the machine. One of the biggest complaints is that of a foul or musty smell in the washer, and on clothing. Here are some tips to avoid this common problem. Clean the washer as instructed in the owners manual, once every six months run an empty load with a 1/2 cup of cascade complete added to the wash dispenser, use the hottest temp wash available. Leaving the door open is a good idea if you won't be using the washer for more than a week, I never leave mine open unless I go on vacation, I have never had an odor problem in all the years I have owned FL'ers. Buy a model that has a built in heater with a sanitary cycle, and use it often, we use ours weekly for our whites, the high heat keeps mold and mildew from growing. Use a high quality HE detergent, the only one I will use is Charlies Soap, it cleans great and leaves no residue, plus it is relatively cheap at 80 loads per $14. FL'ers are great machines, but they will from time to time suffer some sort of failure, you can expect a repair every 2-4 years on average, most repairs will be minor ones, you should expect to get around 10 years from your new FL'er. Buy a brand that has easy to get parts and service, before buying check online for parts through major part suppliers, this way you can fix your own washer when something goes wrong. Not the handy type, no problem, just make sure there are reputable service people in your area that can fix your machine. Happy washing everyone.

Comment