SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klaire2001_gw

Washing Machine, Bad smell, vent issue???

klaire2001
17 years ago

The house was built in 1973. And the builder did a great job... he built it for himself. Original laundry room is in the basement. 4-10 years ago, laundry plumbing was added to the former 'office'/mud room on the first floor. Washing machine location backs to a 1/2 bath, and is almost directly over the furnace. When I look at the roof, I can see a plumbing vent... for the toilet. I cannot see where the washer vent is. (By the way, all of the previous owners appear to have brought in pros and done things right.)

We have been here 2 years, and have an almost 2-year old top-loading washer. (Maytag Neptune XL) We have a bad stink... kind of a dead animal smell. The stink started a few weeks/months after we arrived. Maytag suggested cleaning the washer with bleach 'did't you read the instructions?' and also leaving the lid open. Bleach is good for a day or too. And the lid open has not fixed anything, but we do it all the time.

I have looked under the washer for dead things... nothing there. I have removed the waste hose and sniffed... not especially bad smelling.

My questions:

a) Is there a vent problem? We cannot see where the vent is... (see photo)

b) Could the waste ejection pump on the washer be too strong, pushing all of the water out of the trap, causing the bad small?

c) If we install a vent (we would link into existing vent stack in the attic) do we put it in at location 'A' or 'B'?

Thank you!

Klaire

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pictures

Comments (8)