SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20089141

critique new year's eve menu

User
16 years ago

For ten good friends -- sort of pot luck -- attempt to be less rich -- light on the cream and butter and easy on our aging stomachs not used to eating big meals so late but needing to stay up till midnight. The idea is a tasting menu rather than big portions. Can you tweak this / offer suggestions where I have blanks. Check out the balance of courses. Guests all live in the neighborhood and can walk to and from. Takes place in two apts in same building. (Many constraints because of allergies, food preferences, etc. but figure guests can skip what they don't eat w/o going hungry.

Champagne throughout (brought by guests):

8:30 ish

1. French Laundry coronets with salmon in one and something non-fishy in another. (Two each) Served in maybe a bowl of pistachios to make them stand up. Served in LR

2. Demi-tasse of some soup. Served in LR

Move to DR

3. Artichoke flowers stuffed with something (Idea comes from Rose Levy Berenbaum's Celebrations)

4. Crab Cake with tomato coulis (From Canyon Ranch cookbook, I think)

5. Quail on Greens or with grapes or ?? (No recipe yet--just like the idea of quail)

---10:30 ish--move to other apt.

6. A palate clearer, standing up, though I don't have an idea of what it might be yet.

7. Duck salad with pomegranite seeds (in different dining room with different seating arrangement] From this week's New York Magazine.

8. cheese course -four kinds served in tiny portions plus mache plus cranberry confit (Restaurant idea from Blue Hill in NYC)

9. Apricot Souffle (totally low calorie) with rasberry coulis (Spa cookbook)

1. One piece of gourmet chocolate candy on a plate with one tiny scoop of vanilla ice cream and a small crunchy cookie

--11:30 ish

1. Coffee/Tea in other living room

Midnight ball drop, we drop. That's all.

Comments (2)