SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Any experience w/ dog scratching eye?

sweets98
17 years ago

We have a 5 year old Shih Tzu.

He first scratched his one eye two years ago at Christmas. It was early in the morning and DH and I heard him yelp and then heard a bell on the tree tinkling. I went to look at Hunter and found his eye was all red and within a few hours it was looking really bad. Of course this was Sunday and the Vet isn't in and could not be reached. At first we thought he just got something in his eye so I found saline and started washing his eye out. It got better but it wasn't that much better. I took him to the Vet Monday morning and he told me that Hunter had scratched both eyes and would need eye drops twice a day for two weeks and he would be better. It worked.

A month ago we were away during the day for a few hours and came home to find Hunter's eyes all goopy and disgusting. I cleaned them and trimmed his hair even shorter, thinking that possibly his hair was poking his eye or maybe allergies or a cold. I also started flushing the eye out again. They looked MUCH better but I could see the little marks on his eye so off to the Vet we went again. The Vet gave me the drops again, told me to give them to him three times a day for two days and back down to two times a day. He told me then that IF I ran out before the eyes cleared, I could come back for more drops and he would not have to see Hunter.

Sure enough, last week, I ran out of drops and his eyes weren't better. They were better but not 100%. So the kids and I made a quick trip to the Vet's after school. I continued to give the drops but the eyes were not looking 100% better. I have been worried about him but the Vet says he's fine. So I read the bottle of drops and it suggests you give the drops every 4 hours. Then I did research and found that for maximum effect you have to give them 4 times a day. Two times are sufficient and the Vet usually prescribes that because people can't give the drops 4 times a day. So I started 4 times a day and guess what? 75% better in a day!

Any one else have this problem with your dog and what does your Vet suggest? I think if I kept on the twice a day, it would be another month until he was better at that rate!

Comments (6)