SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Serious eye infections in dogs w/flat faces, bulging eyes

Oakley
3 years ago

Sue and Allison, I didn't want to hijack the pet topic so I did this one to share my experience and I wanted to hear about how your dogs lost their eyes.

If anyone has a flat faced/bulging eye'd dog you should read this because they are prone to eye infections.

A long time ago a little Boston Terrier showed up at our house in the country "all by itself." It was dumped. I'd never seen or heard of a BT and when I went outside and saw him I ran back in the house screaming that a pit bull was in the yard! lol My boys are smarter than I am and they knew it was a BT. He had one blue eye, one brown eye, and was deaf on the blue eye'd side.

He became one of our most beloved pets but we only had him about 4 years due to his eyes. I can't remember if it was his blue or brown eye that suddenly started to swell. It was a corneal ulcer and it eventually had to come out. Those are the ones that cause blindness. He adapted fine. Slept with one of the boys every night, in fact they fought over him. :)

A couple of years later in the evening, I noticed a spot on the good eye and I knew what it was. I planned on taking him to the vet first thing the next morning. During the night I woke up to a horrifying scream. I found Poochie in the corner in the DR, and his eye was close to exploding. Literally.

This type of ulcer develops quickly. I sat with him until the vet opened and by then it was too late, the eye had to be removed. We tried to hard to get him to live with no sight but he was just miserable so we had to put him down.

After a period of mourning we got two more BTs, and one of them got the same thing but it didn't grow as fast and we were able to save the eye.

I'll never get another dog with bulging eyes again, I can't go through with what I went through with Poochie. :(

Comments (5)