SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stealthecrumbs

Online fabric- any experience w/ designdivafabrics.com?

stealthecrumbs
16 years ago

Hey ya'll.

Has anyone ordered from this company? I don't know how I stumbled upon their site but I've spent hours drooling over the fabric. It all seems too good to be true... Scalamandre, Ralph Lauren, Travers... lots of high end brands at super low prices. Wondering if anyone has tried them? Experiences?

They have testimonials on their webpage, but I always check gardenweb before buying. You guys give the best unbiased advice.

Thanks.

www.designdivafabrics.com

Comments (37)

• nelles_gw
    16 years ago

I'm not familiar with the web company you posted, but I had really good luck with House of Fabric. Here's the link:

HTH,
    Ellen

Here is a link that might be useful: House of Fabric

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

I've been very pleased with Design Diva Fabrics. You must be sure to order samples, however, because the online photos make their fabrics look brighter than they are IRL. Also, the fabrics do not arrive as quickly as do some from some other vendors, but most other online vendors do not have such high end fabric, or, if they do, not so deeply discounted. My cat now has a Scalamandre cream linen cushion for her basket, thanks to one of the one-day sales at Design Diva. She's the only one in our home with Scalamandre upholstery. ;>]

• Related Discussions

Experience with online track lighting vendors?

Q

Comments (3)
    justagirl: I ended up buying W.A.C. low-voltage track heads that are compatible with Juno Trac-Master track. The fixtures come with transformers, and the total price is about two-thirds less than I would have spent for separate Juno track heads and transformers. I ordered from lightingonthenet.com, with whom I've had good luck in the past. Hope this helps.
    ...See More

Experience w/YTile online seller?

Q

Comments (2)
    Oops, I screwed up the name: YFloor is the online seller. I actually googled "Coliseum Tile" and came up w/a different website - lovely - and one listed location is the same adress listed on the YFloor site. This makes me feel a little better, for some reason? Here is a link that might be useful: Coliseum Tile
    ...See More

Any experience w/ these online discount fabric retailers?

Q

Comments (5)
    I've used diyupholstery. The first order came in parts because one component was backordered and then no longer available. The communication was good. My second order has not arrived yet, so we'll see. Also, they now send a somewhat convoluted message about how the shipping fee they quote may turn out to be wrong, which doesn't thrill me. They do have a lot of supplies that I need though. I have not ordered fabrics from them, only upholstery trim and pillow supplies. I have used Fabric Guru and Design Diva Fabrics repeatedly. They are both very good sources.
    ...See More

Any have experience w/ or info about Lidel Homes, NJ/ Shant Gueyikian?

Q

Comments (3)
    Talk to their past clients, but don't get names from Lidel Homes or Shant Gueyikian. The names you would get from them may be partial. Talk to the local building department to get their views.
    ...See More
  • igloochic
    16 years ago

Oh good gravy!!! This site is not good for fabric collectors...not good at all....::searching for credit card:: not good! Not Good!!! (my husband asked why I need more fabric the other day....looking at the room I have devoted to fabric...)

Maybe just one more piece....it's on sale and stuff ;Op

• igloochic
    16 years ago

80 yards of fabric later....Belle...that was just mean (but good golly did I get some amazing fabric at really amazing prices!) I guess I'll make my own drapes LOL

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

"my husband asked why I need more fabric the other day....looking at the room I have devoted to fabric..."

Wow! We have the same husband!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

LMAO dang KD there are two of them? I mean really...everyone need another 80 yards of fabric! Really! (Guess I'll be making my own drapes for the new place).

I'm supposed to be measuring this house to work on the design and instead I'm wandering through fabric...and really...DROOLING!! I love textiles...I'm gonna have to buy another house for all of this stuff! We have so little available here, and with DS (2) I don't get to play in fabric houses much anymore (he leaves marks).

Honestly though, the sales on that site are pretty amazing. They're not the nice wide pieces you get in the fabric district, but they're gorgeous and I can handle a few seams if the fabric is spectacular. French Linen for $5 a yard! (I bought it all so don't go look for it heh heh).

• decorpas
    16 years ago

Igloo,

My sewing room is soo full of fabric and trim and all of that stuff that I've had to start boxing up fabric to be stored all over the house. Currently, I have an armoire full of fabric AND 6 huge plastic tubs. Oh, and a new tub full of fabric I knew I needed for the house but now have rethought....

Every time I move, I get rid of it all and yet somehow I end up with the same amount or more. this new site was a criminal introduction.

• stealthecrumbs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, I, too, seem to collect fabric like other women collect shoes. Bolts and bolts of it in our spare room just waiting for the right project! My problem has been kept in check lately because we moved to a tiny town and the closest decorator fabric store is almost two hours away... but the internet could get me in real trouble.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

You know girls...if we call this a "collection" verses what it really is..a textile addiction...we'll sound like we're just really savy collectors :) I'm going to go post on the "collection" thread right now to justify my additions (as soon as I figure out how to vote for my favorite fabrics to be on sale at Design Diva...anyone know how???)

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

ooohh,noooo, I resisted reading this yesterday. why oh why did I have to clik on this??I already have a quilt fabric collection( including my fav repro indigoes from south africa made with the original plates) my boxes of silk and trim from a designer around the corner from me. And now this??? I hate hate sewing window treatments. Oh wait, I forgot I don't have to actually do anything with them... ok I give in I will make room. I will go look!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Silly Sue...you can just pet them and drool on them and talk about the great things you're going to do...and then put them in a bin to look at later...that's what I do :oP

(Ok I also actually enjoy making window treatments...kind of like making pillow cases...I can do it in my sleep). I might actually do something with this fabric...I purchased a KILLER new sewing machine and haven't sewn a stitch with it because of the hospital trip and sick DS...but now I actually have time ;) So I might actually finish a project or two!

• louisianapurchase
    16 years ago

There has to be a support group for this!! I too have sacks of fabrics just waiting for the right moment to shine (fabric samples as well). I think I could make a king size quilt (reversible) out of all of my fabric samples that I cannot part with. Because, I know you all know, that one day...one day I am going to need that one particular sample to show the fabric girl b/c now I have just the place for it. LOL!!!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Yah its called fabriholics anonymous. It was really bad working at the quilt shop. sheesh we had the biggest hold piles every week just waiting to go home on payday! i.e. snuck in the back door! My DH learned never to ask what it was for., usually I would say, I liked it. He used to call samples squatches! too cute. LOL I havent quilted for a couple of years and he asks when I am going ot get rid of my stash to make room. Ack! its mine all mine!! and my silks and my indigoes... mine I tell ya.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I went into a furniture store a few months ago (gad quite a few I guess) and back in the top floor they had PILES and PILES of fabric samples (upholstry). Pretty good sized squares...more than a fat quarter easily. Well for a crazy quilter, that was like discovering fort knox had been left open with shopping bags at the door...I was nuts! I bought (at 25c each) four boxes of the stuff...and would have bought all of it if they'd have agreed on a "pile" price LOL So now all of those gorgeous fabrics are in boxes in the rental garage....DH would probably faint if he knew I was starting a whole new collection here LMAO

• jaybird
    16 years ago

this will be fun

Here is a link that might be useful: Live link

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

You know, I'm not even a "fabriholic" and I *love* that site! It's really set up logically, the fabric is photographed really nicely, and the prices are unbelievable. I love how they show the fabric close up then further away, then flowing. It's a fantastic website, and if/when I need fabric, I'm sure I will look there first. (I know I sound like a commercial, but I swear I have no affiliation! I can just really appreciate a nicely done website AND they have fantastic prices!) Thanks for sharing, Belle_va!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Oh gad...reading the remarks by hoosier...I have to snatch my hand from the mouse...MOVE AWAY IGGGY>>>>>MOVE AWAYYYYY ::oopps...it ummm mysteriously went on it's own:: :OP Jay ya poop!

• jen9
    16 years ago

I ordered both fabric yardage & several samples from them about 3 weeks ago. The fabric arrived after about 10 days, but the samples still haven't arrived. I have emailed them several times & they always respond saying that it's on the way .... but Iam beginning to wonder. The fabric that did arrive is great & an amazing bargin!

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Must.Have.Fabric.

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

I've ordered from them several times with good luck. My only complaint is that sometimes the fabric is advertised as a different brand then it is (I have bought several rolls from this company). For example, in December 2006 I bought a "Scalamandre" lattice that is now being advertised as "Lee Jofa". Yes, the exact same fabric. And then I bought a so called "Pierre Frey" that was later advertised as another brand (I can't remember). There were a couple of other "Scalamandre" purchases that I bought that that were later advertised as another brand at a cheaper price. All in all, the fabric was nice whatever the brand it was called. All the fabric that I have purchased from them has been very high quality. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that you should buy the fabric b/c you like it, not b/c of the brand name unless you are 100% positive that the fabric is what they claim it is. I just had my living room curtains installed that was made with fabric purchased from Design Diva. I purchased the Scalamandre flowers of june fabric for about $25 a yard and I absolutely adore it. They are long panels with pinch pleats with sheers. I can post pics if anyone is interested in seeing it.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Well of course we're interested in seeing it silly..we're fabric freaks :) Get to posting LOL

I only care about quality (unless I'm trying to match an existing piece of fabric) not name brand. We'll see what I get in this order.

The sad thing is that I've flagged them to check daily for sales? WHAT???? Freak!

Oh technical point now...I don't see the vote up buttons on every fabric...is that normal or is it my computer? I want to vote for some stuff so I can buy more than I need in an auction format :) It makes me feel better if I WIN it!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Oh Lord Help Me...Ralph Lauren pure linen stripe, medium weight, $113.50 yard retail...on sale, two days left, $10 a yard....someone stop me...someone????

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

I guess that was a silly question. :0) Okay, here goes. I'm not good with this online posting stuff so I hope this works. Please excuse the mess - this is a project in progress.

Before picture (no drapes)

After picture #1

After picture #2

After picture #3

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Wow, they look fabulous. I love the fabric in your room! Thanks for posting.

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

Thanks, cooper. I will post pics of my fabricguru.com Stroheim & Romann Cathay Pastoral drapes in my dining room tomorrow ($10 bucks a yard)! The pattern doesn't match up on each side b/c they didn't have enough but it doesn't bother me. I had it trimmed with a ball fringe instead of banding. In my library, I bought Schumacher Urns of Natchez fabric from ebay (30 yards at $5 a yard - it was the woven one, not the printed) and had 8 panels made with brush fringe on the edges. The library/office is a complete disaster right now but I will take pics tomorrow if I get a chance. My kitchen/FR is currently being made with Design Diva fabrics (a Lee Jofa fils coupe lattice with Pierre Frey banding in a french blue that matches one of the flowers). There will be valances in the kitchen over woven woods and pinch pleat draperies in the FR over 2.5" white wood blinds.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Beautiful Jynx!

I am printing out this thread for DH. It sometimes helps him to see he is not the only husband suffering.

He was horrified when fabric arrived in the mail a couple of days ago -now I don't even have to leave the house to add to my collection (Hanncocks of Paducah, btw - great service low price).

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Jynx those are gorgeous and really work so very well in your room! Great design work :) I love the trim.

Ok I'm going to see if anyone bought my fabric...DH went up to the slope today....nothing left for me to do but play with baby and shop fabric :oP

• igloochic
    16 years ago

The linen is mine! As well as a few extra yards here and there...dang who pointed me to this website!!!!!!

Jynx...I meant to tell you...that picture over the couch...darling it's really quite horrible there. But thank the heavens..I have an idea to help you out...

Can you package it up and send it to me? I would look ever so much better in my dinning room....heh heh (I sort of LOVE it!)

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

The pic over the sofa was a freebie from MIL - there is a matching one across from it above a console table. A resale shop offered her $50 for each picture so being the dutiful DIL that I am, I offered to take it off her hands and save her a trip to the shop. :0)

Here are a couple of pics of my dining room with the Stroheim fabric. I found the striped fabric on ebay (also Stroheim). I'm going to recover the dining room chair pads in the stripe when I find the time. With a 30 month old and a 6 month old, time isn't that easy to find these days. I had a hunch that the striped fabric would match the draperies and it did. That's the bad thing about ebay - it is hard to return.

{{!gwi}}

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Good gravy I need to get to know your MIL :oP Mine was a lovely woman with terrible taste (ok to me...she just liked NEW things).

That frame is worth well over $50 sheesh I love those shops...trying to take advantage of people!

I love the dining room! The stripes will be a nice contrast and show the dropped food less (ok I have a 28 month old heh heh). You have a lovely home...you should be sharing more pics with us :)

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

I love your dining room too. I also would love to see more photos of your house. Never met my MIL- she died when DH was 17. I think our taste would have been similar,from what I have seen. Your rooms are serene without being stuffy. I never had time or energy to decorate when my kids were little. You guys are awesome.

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments. DH and I designed our own house and FIL drafted the plans. We took many trips to Greenwich, CT and took hundreds of pics of stone and clapboard houses (think Stepford Wives). We started building our (much smaller) version in 2005 and are now in the decorating phase. We're missing a lot of moldings (crown, chair, wainscotting) but they will come in time. I'll take a pic our our exterior tomorrow and post it. The focal point inside our house is our kitchen with large mantel and double islands. I'll post those pics when the kitchen is a little cleaner. :0)

Eating Area of Kitchen
    {{!gwi}}

Foyer view from entry

Foyer view from Living Room

DH built the staircase himself totally from scratch. He did all measurements, bent the handrail, and even made all of the treads and risers from the scrap wood leftover from our flooring. We're both house fanatics and the funny thing is, you would never guess we live in this house if you ran into us on the street.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm sure you're very proud of your home. It's really gorgeous :) I am a HUGE fan of large entry's. We've been house hunting and that's one thing so many homes are missing.

I love the kitchen...and that little tot is TO DIE FOR! If you get tired of him...I'm willing to help you out there :) He's beautiful! And thank god I finally saw some evidence of a child LOL I was looking around my living room....thomas the train recently moved in with many of his friends, and thinking sheesh that woman is able to get her kids to put their toys away???? She's a miracle worker! (I was just packaging my little doll up for some training) :oP

• jynxed23
    16 years ago

If you saw the whole house in its current condition, you would swear that a couple of goats live here, not children. LOL. The kitchen is a product of countless hours on the kitchen forum - I haven't had a chance to post pics there and thank them for all of the great advice. I would say that 75% of the decisions in the kitchen were due to the kitchen forum. I should probably post some pics under a separate heading to thank everyone here for all of the advice. I've been lurking for some time and didn't realize how easy it is to post pics.

Powder room (still bare and the flowers are gone)
    {{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    16 years ago

Oooohhhh, you guys are sew talented! I'm drooling and very jealous!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I love the powder room...very classic :) And I'm a TKO so as a dedicated TKO...I must tell you to go post the kitchen for us to ohhh and awwww over :p

• PRO
    Pop O Color
    8 years ago

This site is too good to be true. The misrepresent many of their products including manufacturer, material content and country of origin. Also many of their products are seconds with major flaws.