SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

? potty train this lovable rescue dog...

vieja_gw
12 years ago

My nephew & wife in May got a rescue dog from our local Animal Shelter. He was a very calm chihuahua mix older (? 7 yr. old) male dog that had been in the shelter for months as no one seemed to want an older dog & the shelters seem to be over burdened with chihuahuas being brought in from over-breeding. The Shelter desperately wanted to find this little guy a home ... & SOON- or be euthanized! We have four dogs & they all potty outdoors in an area where I let it accumulate for awhile before I clean it up so they can see where they have been doing it. It works pretty well too. When 'Paco' comes to visit he also goes just anywhere outdoors & not just where the others have been doing it.

'Paco' is a sweet little guy & prefers to spend the day in a lap but has a continuing problem with messing in the house.. even after he has just been taken outdoors & gone to the bathroom!! A niece has a chihuaha that is litter-box trained like a cat but 'Paco' can not be trained on pads, litter box or even one area of the house & tears up a diaper when it is put on him!! No doggy 'Depends' for him!

Are some small breeds just harder to house break than others?

Any ideas as to how to get this lovable (mostly) old man to 'put the lid down' (!!) so to speak, & do his bathroom business outside only? He doesn't even go to the same place in the house either nor outside. HELP!

Comments (6)