SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
learn_as_i_go

several issues with rescued dog

learn_as_i_go
17 years ago

Hi, it's my first time posting on the Pets forum. I hope you can help us.

A few months ago I started talking w/ a coworker who was fostering a dog for a local rescue group. She had fostered it for 7 months but needed to give it to another foster mom because she was traveling so much. She did transfer it to the other foster mom where the dog, Miracle Martha, lived for about a month. As we talked about Martha, a smallish 40 lb. English foxhound (mix or not?? not sure), I began to fall in love. So 2 weeks ago we went forward with adopting her into our home.

In some ways, she came as described: mellow, good w/ kids, good w/ cats, and very calm when confronted by other barking dogs on the sidewalk, etc. When my 4 year old daughter, a delicate girl, would pet her and hug her Martha would not even flinch - wonderful.

THE PROBLEMS though, became apparent over time. Some more quickly than others. Within 15 minutes at home, we realized she was COVERED with ticks. After 2 hours with a groomer (bless her!) and another 2 hours at the emergency vet, we found out she has Lyme disease. Thankfully, treatment with doxy appear to have cleared that up and she is far more energetic and healthy-acting now. The other readily apparent problem is that she has house breaking issues. At first we thought it was submission urination, but now we think it is just a training issue. She is starting to get better (no accidents in 40+ hours!) but we have to watch her closely.

But now, with all this new energy...new problem. The dog that was so mellow (or just sick???) the first few days seems to have disappeared. She has bared her teeth more than once at my daughter and nipped at her twice, but never growled or bitten her. She did the same with a neighbor's child. Ugh. None of this occurred at a time when I'd *expect* her to nip -- each time the child was only lying near her and petting her...not interrupting food time or toy time at all. There are so many problems I'd be more ready to deal with than aggression toward a child. This is tearing me up inside. I made it clear to my coworker and the rescue group that my #1 priority is that she be great with kids...and now this.

Just FYI - I did complain to the director of the rescue group about the ticks/Lyme.

Any advice out there -- housebreaking and nipping? Hounds generally? Thanks!!!!

Comments (26)