SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninapearl_gw

rescue dog not working out :(

Ninapearl
14 years ago

my new rescue great dane (presley), a 9 year old lovely girl, will have to go back. i am sick at heart over this because she is such a sweet, lovable dog but she is not getting along with my other dane (ashley), an 8 year old girl i got from rescue last summer.

about a week ago, presley began showing some serious jealousy whenever i interacted with ashley. ashley is a very submissive girl and when presley jumped her, she just hit the ground and would not fight back. presley left a nasty bite on ashley's side. had i not left a collar on presley, i do not think i could have pulled her off before she inflicted some serious damage.

there is tension in my house and much of that comes from me, i know. i have to keep a constant watch on presley now as i have noticed she will occasionally growl at ashley for no apparent reason although i know SHE has a reason. i simply cannot take a chance on this happening again.

something else that has me completely stumped is that presley has begun peeing in the house. i took her and a fresh urine sample to the vet. after a complete exam and having her urine tested, there is no sign of a UTI and no physical reason why she would be doing this. i don't know if it's a dominance thing, a marking behavior...it isn't a little here and a little there...she simply squats and pees like niagra falls. my house is carpeted from one end to the other and i have shampooed my carpet numerous times over the past couple of weeks. i am now crating her unless she is in the same room with me and that is no life for a dog.

i really hate this...i was so hoping this would work out and i am just baffled by this behavior. i feel like such a failure. because the dane rescue is so overwhelmed with dogs right now, i have agreed to switch presley for another, younger dog. she is 2 years old and her foster dad tells me she is very submissive and should be a better match. they have had her for several weeks and say she is very sweet, playful, and goes belly up to every other dog in the house. i will take her on a trial basis and hopefully, she will mesh better with my pack.

something else i have to consider is my male corgi. he is in the throes of degenerative myelopathy and is unable to move very fast any more. i cannot and i WILL NOT take a chance on presley inflicting her wrath on simon. *sigh*

Comments (6)