SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cal_dreamer

Unfortunately, our new dog is not working out.

cal_dreamer
14 years ago

I feel terrible since I'm going to take my new dog back to the rescue. :(

The pushiness I can deal with, the jumping up is decreasing, leash walks are getting better - but yesterday evening he lunged snarling at my daughter's boyfriend. I just barely caught him by the collar as he jumped up - teeth bared and hackles up. Zero to attack mode in just a few seconds.

I don't know if it is posessive/protective agression or if he was scared, but the experience shook me and I don't feel like I can trust him anymore. I can't tell if this was an isolated incident or if it will happen again, so I don't think I can keep him. He's been with us just under a week and can be such a love, so my daughter is giving me grief about the whole thing - and to be honest, I do feel guilty about it. And of course, right now he is being an angel sleeping at my feet.

I was told he would be protective when bonded, but I wasn't prepared for that!

All night last night I stayed awake trying to decide what to do. What if I have a pet sitter come when I'm on vacation? What if my neighbor comes into my back yard through the gate? What if it's true I'm just blowing this all out of proportion and he just needs better training to deal with strangers?

This afternoon I made the decision to give him back to the rescue organization, even though it really hurts. If he had backed off after I snapped him back and told him NO, I'd be more optimistic, but he kept barking and snarling as I drug him outside. It was scary. Today, no sign of a problem, although he still gets jealous if I pet my other dog and is pretty demanding for attention. (pushing, pawing, shoving in front of my other dog.)

I truly feel he needs a firmer hand and more structure than we can give him right now, but I wonder if I'm doing the right thing.

Comments (19)