SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baileyq

need help with very fearful rescue dog

baileyq
10 years ago

Hi, I adopted a 3yr. old dog from a rescue organization. My assumption was that the rescue organization fostered the dog to some extent. Not so, but I adopted anyway. Dog is not socialized to people, and I can only have 1 dog in my condo. I brought her home yesterday and she has stayed in a bathroom behind the toilet since then. She opens her eyes only to look at me when I go in. i did carry her out yesterday to potty, but she will not walk and just lays on the grass. I have 2 questions: first is that she does not seem to be drinking or eating. I put kibble (which is what rescue gave her) and water in the bathroom, but neither seem to have been touched. I put 4 small pieces of cheese right next to her nose, and those have not been touched. What can I do about that? If she's so traumatized, she won't eat or drink, I definitely bit off more than I can chew. 2nd: should I put her into the crate and put her in the kitchen where she will see me much more often or just leave her in the bathroom for a few more days (assuming she starts eating/drinking)? All advice welcome. Thanks.

Comments (14)