SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkramer60

Aldi cast enamel is back!

13 years ago

For those that missed it last year or are looking to add more to the shelf, Aldi's is featuring their cast iron, "LeCreuset" cookware again this week.

I bought the braiser last year and love it. There was some discussion last year about the knobs in the oven but I have not had any problems with mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty in Red or Blue

Comments (68)

• 13 years ago

My 6 quart Martha Stewart pot (Macy's) is a glorious color-spring green- but a real pain to clean. No chipping but some tiny flakes from the edges. It's my least favorite enameled pot because it stains so easily.

• 13 years ago

I have to be honest, I do not use them on a regular basis. But, I do tend to grab the oval the most. No chipping, some staining, but a little bleach usually helps.

• Related Discussions

Question about enamel-clad cast iron skillet

Q

Comments (9)
    Plain unseasoned cast iron is silvery grey. It doesn't blacken until you begin seasoning and using it. I found this out when I had to sand-blast a thrift shop CI pan (and I paid much more than you did!) to get all the crusty gunk out of it. Your pan now looks brand new, so I would commence seasoning it ASAP. I love cooking in my CI. Just to clarify, I wouldn't recommend sand-blasting unless all other cleaning options have been explored and failed. SB'ing is expensive and messy - not worth doing unless absolutely a last resort.
    ...See More

Martha Stewarts enameled cast iron?

Q

Comments (16)
    mrsmarv - Thanks for your review of the pot. That is what I was looking for in a reply. Someone who had one and had used it so could give an honest critique. I figured, what the heck, and bought the MS enameled cast iron 5 qt. DO. I mainly got it to try out that new "No Knead Bread" recipe and it worked great with that. Next I am going to try an Apricot Chicken recipe in it. I am going to put it through its paces for the next 30 days and if I have any problems I can take it back. And yes, the color sure is ugly. Don't know why they picked that color. I will keep my eyes open for any good deals on the Le Creuset but I am never going to pay full price for it. I just can't justify that kind of expense. The cheaper ones, though maybe not as nice looking, are alright with me if they work as well. I have 30+ year old Revereware copper bottom pots. Not as nice as All Clad, but I can't justify buying really expensive ones to replace them since they still work fine. Though I must admit I have been looking at the Costco set, which have got some good reviews. I have a newly remodeled kitchen and Wolf range so would like some new heavy duty pots and pans. I will also look into Member's Mark triple-ply all clad set since it got a good review from you. Thanks. Clare
    ...See More

Aldi's cast iron

Q

Comments (33)
    I went to the one closest to me yesterday, which is a bit of a hike. For those who want to know: the ones with the black interior (frying pan and grill pan) ARE porcelain enamel interior on cast iron, as I had hoped. The label clearly says so, plus I opened the box and felt it. So cleanup should be a breeze. It has a slight texture, not the completely slick surface that the braiser I already have has. I got the LAST frying pan. They were out of the red one (I asked them to check), so I got the cream colored one. It won’t match my braiser, but, does it really matter? ;) I almost bought a dutch oven too. I already have 2 dutch ovens in plain stainless steel. It the end, I put that back. It is very heavy. Filled, it would be very difficult to lift. The braiser when filled is hard enough to maneuver in and out of the oven, and to take in and out of the lower cabinet where I store it; and this would be harder. For those who might be nearby, the store is Wheeling IL. They still had the grill pan, lots of braisers, and a few dutch ovens left. Thanks to those who posted here with advice! I know I am really going to like this pan.
    ...See More

Enameled cast iron sink

Q

Comments (4)
    FYI someone got Kohler to send a new sink over a crooked sticker, so should you decide these are imperfections, getting a new sink should be easy enough. Many people here have the Whitehaven. I am sure you will get plenty of responses so you can gage your situation.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

I notice Meijers also has some enameled cast iron DO's on an end rack right now too for those of you in the Midwest.
    Curious - where are the Aldi one's made?

• 13 years ago

As far as braising goes, if I'm not mistaken braising is done on low heat on the stove top, so the shape is to maximize the pan's exposure to the heat. I have a braising pan (stainless with cast aluminum core) and I use it for almost everything I cook on the stovetop and lots I bake in the oven too! Braising can also be done in the oven, but anyway, it's with a little bit of liquid and I think also the lid maximizes the liquids condensation surface where it then falls back into the pot. MMMMMMmmmmmm.

Thank you so much Peppi for alterting me to this special. I had been searching all over for a cast iron grill pan to get for BF's son for Christmas (along with a Penzeys grill spice set) and I just couldn't find one at a price I liked. The Le Crueset one at Wegman's was 120 bucks! This one was actually perfect, the son is not that settled yet and doesn't need something heavier weight.

I'm sure at this price it was made in China. But I have not seen any that were made in the US, even the heavier weight all cast iron ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orangette's blog - in praise of braising

• 13 years ago

I have the dutch oven and it is wonderful. Very heavy though....the lid alone weighs about 4 pounds! I think I paid $19.99 for it last year ....but even at 29.99 it's a deal.

Duane

• 13 years ago

Ok, I just ran out,after changing my itinerary for today, and got one of two do's left, both blue. Anyway, that's what was out on the display table. $30. Seems great. I didn't want to shlep a heavy 5 qt., but here's how I talked myself into it (been lusting for a long time)It's rare that I will use this because I'd use the same size pot, but lighter weight. I'm obsessed with the no knead.

So I will use this for the Lahey/Bittman bread recipe which requires a 5 qt pot-and I just wont carry the lid and the pot together. First I'll put the lid on the oven rack and then bring the pot to the oven! And that is very do able. I made the abin5 yesterday in a 2.75qt cast iron pot and I heated the lid off the pot. So, yay. Thanks for the great tip about this terrific Aldi pot. It looks great. Likely China made.

Westy

• 13 years ago

I bought a red braiser today. A nice shape for pot roasts and I will use it this weekend. Very pretty red...I like it better than the Lodge muted red.
    But I didn't really need it!

• 13 years ago

SCORE! I was there when the store opened.

Thanks Peppi. I wouldn't have bothered looking at the Aldi newsletter this week because we were busy getting ready for a road trip today.

• 13 years ago

There are 4 Aldi's in Des Moines....so I went roaring in after the repair guy left. The first store I visited has a full supply...I bought 2 braisers and one of the rectangular bakers.
    Going to be some happy gift recipients!
    And there is one braiser that I have no plans for.....
    Hmmm...I have 4 Le Cruset Dutch ovens....can't see any way I need another....really I can't....even though I don't have a braiser...
    No....that'll be a gift....for someone!!!! Really....!

• 13 years ago

Yeah right, that sucker will be calling you from the closet and Linda will go running! Been there, done that.

I do have a brazier, a nice one. It just doesn't have quite the high sides as the Aldi and it ain't red!

• 13 years ago

"So I will use this for the Lahey/Bittman bread recipe which requires a 5 qt pot..."

I think you made a good choice with the 5 qt. dutch oven, Westy. It has the tall proportions you need. My first attempts at no-knead bread were done in a covered casserole which had less height. It turned out OK but really needed a higher pot,

Jim

• 13 years ago

I am happy to see that some of you grabbed the deal here. I did not need a pot or pan as I have 3 already. BUT.

Yeah, but. I stopped at Aldi's for more truffles, but they were sold out, so I made the mistake of looking. Just looking. Yeah. Roaster came home with me. I do not need one, I have 3 roasting pans already plus enough French White to stock a store. But I could use it for my Parmesan macaroni casserole or unstuffed potatoes, right? Cast enemal would give it a really nice crust and those crispy corners, right?

Someone please twist my arm...........

Linda, a gift to yourself, perhaps? There was young man buying one of each as gifts and was contemplating a second round. He had one heavy shopping cart to push.

• 13 years ago

Aw, come on Peppi. A regular roaster or the French Whites won't give you the crust the enameled cast iron would. I think you need it. Really.

Loves2, I have a cast iron grill pan and I really love it. It's a plain cast iron, not enameled, but it gets so nice and hot and does a great job. I even find myself using it during the summer. Mine has nice deep grooves and I think that's a main consideration. The Aldi one has rounded grids and doesn't look too deep, so I'm wavering, although since it's iron I think it will do a pretty good job.

• 13 years ago

So the truffles are good, Peppi? I've only been to Aldi's once, for the silicone baking mats. I got some cookies then but thought they had an aftertaste, or afterfeel. I know I'll be tempted by chocolate stuff... Any more recommendations? I'm going for my braiser today.

• 13 years ago

Every year I tell myself 'next year'. And this year, I've been waiting & it was worth waiting because this year they have that beautiful blue! But dang, between Christmas & three unplanned trips to the vet, I'm back to next year.

Oh well. Maybe Aldi will have it in turquoise next year! Or maybe I'll find some at a rummage sale next summer in which case I'll congratulate myself for being so prudent & frugal. :)

And, of course, I could go rummaging down in the basement & find some cooking goodie that I already own & have totally forgotten about! Or go looking for that large silicone mat that I got from Aldi about a month ago, used once, put away & don't remember where I put it!!

BTW, I'm glad to read that the cookware is holding up for ya'll who have used it for a while. I was a bit leary about it being chippy and was wondering how it was holding up.

• 13 years ago

I did get truffles from Aldi yesterday because I assumed they were the same as TJs which are great.

• 13 years ago

I bought 2 boxes of the truffles last week and they were heavenly. I took them into work and they were moaned over. I may have to try another Aldi's to see if they have some.

OK, roaster stays.

• 13 years ago

Yes, Peppi, that's a good choice, I just know you NEED that roaster.

If I had a bit more storage space I'd get one too, but I have absolutely no place to put it. All cupboards are full.

Annie

• 13 years ago

Me too, Annie. It's madness for me to buy another pot. I have very few cabinets, and usually I'm pretty good about passing up kitchen stuff I don't have room for. But geez, thirty bucks? And blue? How can I not?

• 13 years ago

I keep thinking if I would stop buying pots under fifty, I could buy one great pot, like a staub coquette. Oh well.

I've got a little of everything now and have NO room for another pot unless I keep it in the basement.

• 13 years ago

Annie, your comment about no room made me think about the door-to-door meat guy. I turned him down with the excuse that I had no room in the freezer. He said "if I can fit it in your freezer will you buy the package?". Confidently I said go for it, never dreaming that he would shove filet mignon in the pork bin, ground beef in the ice bin, steak in the chicken bin, and completely destroy my organized freezer!! Carp--I could have done that.

Bottom line, if you get a door-to-door meat guy making an offer, ask if he can fit more pans in your cabinets.

• 13 years ago

Cathy, even that guy could not get another pan into my cupboards. It drives Elery nuts, I don't have very many cupboards and they are all "deep", so anything that goes to the back stays there until I get down on my hands and knees on the floor and pull stuff out of the back. Nearly all the space is lower cabinets, under the counter.

My upper cupboards are much more shallow, but so shallow that a wide pot or large skillet won't fit and still allow the door to close.

And, since I have 7 foot ceilings, a ceiling pot rack is also out of the question.

Annie

• 13 years ago

Well, I bought the Dutch oven and the roasting pan, but I didn't buy the braiser. After hauling the box out of a bin and removing it to look at it, I had a good sense of its massiveness, and decided to pass. None of this stuff was on display, and no pictures. If I'd gone there without the heads-up from Peppi I would have walked right past them without noticing them. So thanks again! They really are very nice. I got the roaster and the Dutch oven in blue for me, and a red roaster for my daughter. I hefted the grill pan and decided I really don't want one I can't hold with one hand.
    Got some truffles too, but haven't tasted one yet. I wanted to try the chocolate-covered marzipan bits listed in the Christmas specials, but they didn't have them.

• 13 years ago

I didn't see any there today??? Waaaah!!!!!

• 13 years ago

I've had my braiser for about a year. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It's held up well. I may just stop tomorrow and take a look at what is there. Like I need another pot that I don't want to cook in! Except when I'm in the mood to cook.

• 13 years ago

You are all such enablers! I bought the 5 qt oval casserole today. I mean, how can you pass up such a bargain?
    Thanks for the heads up, everyone.
    Jo

• 13 years ago

I passed on the grill pan--talked myself out of it. I think the three from last year will do just fine. I did buy some chocolate figures for the grandkids for Christmas, snowbib for GD, and some snowboots for me. I love Aldi's!

• 13 years ago

Well, I went to Aldi for 'one' and came home with 'two' - the brasier and the oval roaster. I already have a round DO although that is not cast iron. So I thought the oval would be good for whatever you might use the round one for. And I just love the brasier and plan to do a lot of stovetop cooking with it since I have induction and gas cooktops. The box Aldi's cookware came in states it is recommended for induction, gas, electric and ceramic and states as well that it is 'made - you guessed it - 'in China'. lol
    -- even Martha Stewart's says that. I don't know if there is any pot or pan
    made in the USA - maybe All-Clad?j

However, that did not end my shopping trip. Went back to get the 'roaster'. --- looking forward to some of that crispy Mac 'cheese and AuGratin potatoes. I'm not talking healthy here - just remembering the 'good ol' days' when you were NOT critized for the foods you ate. (just don't eat too much). My DD-L is such a health nut and I find myself reading labels when I go shopping -- no MSG -no nitrites, no nitrates etc....

Back to the subject -- DH went back to Aldi to get several more casseroles and roasters which will be used as gifts for the kids and their growing families.
    This is a 'good deal'.

• 13 years ago

Thanks for letting us know about this. I got the grill pan. What a great buy.

• 13 years ago

FYI: In case anyone wants to use the Aldi brazer in a high heat situation--the LeCreuset stainless steel replacement knob fits. I mention it because it doesn't fit my Staub Dutch oven-the screw is too short. Yes, I know I just need to find a longer screw OR put foil over the Phenolic knob but I was at the LeCreuset outlet yesterday so I bought two replacement knobs.

• 13 years ago

Oooh. I have been thinking I'd like to try a cast iron skillet. I wonder if it is easy to clean.

• 13 years ago

Jessica, Just 2 minutes ago I cleaned mine. I had baked pork chop casserole in it, which is saucy and had baked to a crusty crust all the way around the pan. It was very easy and looks like new.

• 13 years ago

Cathy, I got your response while I was in the store, and snapped up the second to last one :-D

• 13 years ago

Has anyone tried the grill pan? Since I have a large 2 burner lodge I haven't wanted to spend the money on a small one just to get pretty lines. But these are certainly priced right.

• 13 years ago

I bought the blue dutch oven and the roaster and my DH was encourging me to buy one of everything. He put the 5 qt oval casserole in the basket also, but I wouldn't let him add anything else. Then we bought a red roaster for a gift. Nice cookware. Thanks for the tip.

• 13 years ago

I used the braiser today and it performed perfectly for browning and searing a chuck roast, caramelizing onions and and a quick clean up with no stains after 6 hours of cooking.

I would say all cast iron enameled does this easy task, but the Martha Stewart dutch oven does not.

• 13 years ago

Peppi I just wanted to thank you again. BF's son opened his gift last night (we had Christmas together early as I am leaving for MI for the actual holiday), and he was thrilled!! I also gave him a Penzey's grill spices gift set. He promised to make me dinner sometime!

• 13 years ago

L, you are most welcome and I am so glad it worked. I think there will be more happy people on Christmas. Dad put my roaster under the tree, so I have to wait.

Other than a new child or furbaby, kitchen toys rock!

• 13 years ago

I may be stupid asking this but, do I need to season these as I would regular cast iron? The care instructions didn't indicate that I did. I manage to find the braiser, grill pan, fry pan and oval casserole (no dutch ovens or roasters left; but wouldn't the oval casserole be pretty much the same as a dutch oven)? I don't want to ruin them before I even start cooking with them. Gotta love Aldi's; they do have some great buys from time to time.

• 13 years ago

No seasoning needed for the enemaled ones.

• 13 years ago

At my husband's insistence, I returned and bought more. I now have 5 pieces in blue, and I didn't feel I needed the grill pan although they still had them. I also bought the roaster and a dutch oven in red for my daughter. I think she will love them. There was very little red left in my store and I really had to dig around to find the red dutch oven. Thanks for the heads up on this buy Peppi.

• 13 years ago

As I was putting away my Aldi brazier and other pans from making Christmas meals, DH said "for the life of me I don't understand what there is about a pan can excite people".

I was going on and on before Christmas that I had never seen more beautiful pots and pans than the Berghoff outlet near us had (hint, hint). He said "it's been years since you got that excited about me." I said "try decades".

• 13 years ago

The Aldi ad ran two weeks ago and my Aldi did not have a very big selection. I stopped in there tonite and they had a much bigger selection than when the ad was run. Just a thought in case anyone was looking to get something they did not find the first time around!

• 13 years ago

Some stores don't get the ad stuff until later so you might come across some. Also some stores will sell out before others so check around. That's the thing I don't like about them not having a listed phone.. can't call and ask! But I understand why they do that.

So how is the brazier actually better than the dutch oven? Seems the DO would do the job of both wouldn't it? What am I missing? And with the 6 qt Nesco I can't see buying the oval roaster for me but the DO is tempting, although I have a good stainless one. Actually I'd like to get a square pan but not the grill one! Oh well, can't have everything. Guess I should have gone to Aldi. Could try a round one. Maybe they still have some.

• 13 years ago

I think the main difference between the brasier and the Dutch ovens is in the lid. The brasier's lid has bumps - to let the cooking liquid drop back into the pot.

I love this pot for stews!

• 8 years ago

That's what I'm exactly afraid of with enameled cast iron made in China! Now I'm glad I bought Le Creuset, Staub, and some pieces made in France at Bed, Bath, & Beyond (can't remember the brand now, but it was a little less expensive than the others). So far, no trouble with any of them. And I don't "baby" them, I actually made the no-knead bread in a Le Creuset 5 qt. casserole. I did buy them discounted at the outlet or in Home Goods, T.J. Maxx, Tuesday Morning, and Marshall's. I even have an All-Clad piece (made in the USA-my favorite thing) and a Scanpan from one of those stores. But with all the other good reviews, I'm still tempted to check out the ones in Aldi's, even though I don't need another pot! I seem to be awfully tempted with kitchen (cooking) things!

• 8 years ago

Jive had the brassier from Aldi for about 4 years. I do not baby any of my cookware. I have never had a problem. My kitchen is barely 60 in the winter. It comes out of the cabinet and goes on the stove.

• 8 years ago

Same story as Tami...Aldi brassier & no problems with it.

• 8 years ago

I have one of the Aldi braziers too. I use it regularly, it goes from stove top to oven and I've never had a problem, from beef stew to French fries. It's 4 or 5 years old and it gets used a lot, the only problem I have is that the enamel inside has stained. Since it's the interior and doesn't show, I don't really care.

Annie