SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Help with easy Hanukkah dairy dinner ideas

lpinkmountain
11 years ago

Having dear friends over for first night of Hanukkah. He's Jewish, she's not and they come over every year so he can get his Ashkenazi food trip! I'm recovering from the flu so this has to be mostly store bought and easy. So far the menu is as follows, but I sort of want to make a fish dish that is not salmon. I'm thinking haddock. I guess I should just fry it along with the latkes. Kind of overly fried food heavy then though. Any other ideas? I see a lot of menus with meat which means no cheese and crackers and sour cream if I want to be traditional. But maybe I should just do some baked chicken and forget the nod to being kosher since none of us are religious or kosher. I dunno, at my house we never had meat with latkes, but we didn't have fish either, unless you count herring salad which I dislike and I also don't do gefilte fish. Usually I do a more substantial soup like borscht full of veggies but that isn't going to happen this year. My friend likes the matzoh balls which I just make in store bought vegetable bouillon as an appetizer.

So far this is what I have planned. I would appreciate some ideas about maybe doing the chicken or some kind of fish to go along.

Appetizer:
Mulled wine and cheese and crackers with crudites and store bought hummus

Vegetable soup with matzoh balls

Latkes
Homeade applesauce
Sour cream
Coleslaw or spinach salad

Dessert:
Store bought rugelah or some kind of bundt cake or I might spring for a strudel

Comments (8)