SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Need help finessing Hanukkah light dinner menu

l pinkmountain
5 years ago

My dad wants me to cook for a small gathering of family friends at his house. It's going to be quite a stretch with seating accommodations so I would like to have most of the food prepared ahead of time to bring over, and also we might have to serve and eat quasi buffet style. We will be eating around 4:30 Sun. because some of the folks travel on Monday and need to get home early to pack. So I want to have a light meal too, other than the fried potato pancakes. That is the for-sure, I will make the pancakes at dad's house, but don't want to do much else in the kitchen which will be right in the middle of where all the guests will be. I could make the pancakes ahead of time I know, but at this point I would prefer fresh and then bring all the other stuff. I am also making home made applesauce. Note: this does not have to be kosher!! But we cannot eat a lot of pickled or smoked or cured things due to health reasons--salt and acid and fat limitations.

So with the pancakes and applesauce, the meal will be kind of beige looking. I'm thinking I will make the Smitten Kitchen Kale, quinoa and cranberry salad, very colorful. Not sure what else to make, but I'm thinking along the lines of a fish salad or bean salad. Two years ago I made a recipe for an "Israeli salad" that was basically a three bean salad with tuna added. I wasn't crazy about it. I like the french white bean and tuna salad but that is more beige. Maybe that Israeli salad suffered from me using canned tuna, even though I used the imported Cento brand in olive oil. I have another recipe for Italian style tuna salad which is basically chopped salad with tuna added. It might be OK if I bought real tuna steaks and used those . . . We would not be adverse to a fish salad including crab and shrimp, even though they are not kosher.

Or maybe I should do something like salmon en croute and then bake it over at my dads . . . Or maybe I should stick with just a bean salad, like one I have based on Hoppin' John. Or maybe do tuna pate as an appetizer and do split pea soup as a starter . . . I could make that ahead in the crockpot. I'm just really torn for some cold or room temp. dishes that are colorful and seasonal. I could do a cheese nuts and smoked fish board as an appetizer too but that is all beige. Or I could do maple mustard chicken thighs in the crockpot. But they are more beige . . . Or chicken marabella . . .

I just can't get my brain around this one. If I was home I would do baked salmon and roasted asparagus as sides and call it a day. I have not had a cold salmon salad I liked but maybe one exists. I have a marinated asparagus salad I like with halved cherry tomatoes.

Will probably do a carrot cake and coffee for dessert. The kind with pineapple. Or the kind you pick up in the freezer section, lol! Also probably hot mulled cider or eggnog or both to start. A lot of these folks are on medications and can't drink alcohol.

Comments (15)