SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
disneyginger

Need Easy and Spectacular Ideas for Menu

disneyginger
16 years ago

Can easy and spectacular be accomplished in the same recipes and menus?

Here is my situation. Tonight, a man we've known all our lives called. We see him about every three years or so.

He is our friend, but he is really the dear friend of my deceased FIL. This man is retired, but when he worked he was the editor-in-chief of a major US news magazine and his wife is a retired English Professor from a prestigious university.

They are very nice people, and they intimidate the pants off of me. Yet, they are very close to my husband and they have always been so kind and generous with me too.

Three years ago, I made a spinach salad and I did a chicken lasagna. I made homemade hard rolls too. Dessert was a homemade Lemon Chiffon Cake.

The meal went very well. It was an early dinner/late lunch sort of affair due to the activities around the meal. He went back to their home and raved about our home, our hospitality, and my cooking.

He called to say they plan to be in town again sometime just before Easter or after. And, they will be able to spend the whole day, and although they are staying at a fine hotel, hoped we would have at least two days to spend some time together.

Now what the heck am I going to do.

Do you have any ideas?

I will need at least two meals, if not more.

A brunch might be nice.. and maybe another dinner, or a later in the evening sort of noshing with some wine.

The budget is open on this one, the ability of this cook (me) to throw together a dinner at the same time I am entertaining is limited.

I would hire a caterer, but that would be too much froo-froo. They enjoy the homemade comfort of my cooking and our home. Although, they are light eaters as they are in their late 70's and for the last 10 years at least, stay away from really rich foods.

Comments (15)

• sands99
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How about my favorite easy - chicken breasts stuffed with smoked gouda, spinach and nutmeg with a panko parm parsley crust? Last time I served them I accompanied with a brown butter sage gnocchi and a spinach mandarin salad. But you could do a cold wild rice salad with orange juice concentrate, craisins, and walnuts if you wanted to do it all ahead.

And McCormicks Holiday french toast is fabulous - for visual and edible quality and ease of prep the night before. You make butter, cinnamon, craisins, green apple slices add french bread slices drizzle egg and milk etc. put it in the fridge overnight then cook the next morning and flip over on a platter to serve. Very wow factor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday French Toast

• deborah_ps
    16 years ago

Disneyginger,

Were you intimidated the first time around, or feeling more so since they've raved and now feel you have to "live up to" such terrific revues?
    They must hold you in the same high esteem, and feel very comfortable being with you, or else why the request spending the full two days with you?
    You'll get lots of help here with a menu...but ultimately in your heart of hearts, you know exactly how to entertain them.
    Not to panic, go forth with a relaxed confident attitude and let's have some fun with this :)
    Bring it on!

• Related Discussions

Easy brunch menu for 100+?

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow! Thanks again for all of your input. It is helping a lot. I really like Woodie's egg and potato casserole. If I do that, can I eliminate the potato salad? (As a little aside, I think I should add that I don't eat eggs. I hate them! However, I do accept that others enjoy them, they are easy to prepare, and are cheap. So, they really are great for entertaining. However, I do have a hard time envisioning them as part of a menu.) I think I will leave the veg dish up to DH. He claims he can do it, and his cousin (whose wife wore the fur coat in May) will be staying with us, and he is such a gem - will be a huge help, too. I can see the two of them outside, chopping vegetables and hanging out by the grill, and laughing it up! Or, maybe he wants to make life a little easier and make one of the marinated dishes posted here (they both sound yummy). As for his foot - he should be in a walking cast by that point. If he doesn't feel up to it, well... screw it. I'll call the market. I'm not going to get all stressed about it. Bread, bread, bread, everyone mentions bread. I thought I had too many starches as it is. Along with mini-rolls for the ham, should I pick up some bagels, too? At first I thought no, but now I think it might be a good idea, especially to fill up the kids. What do you guys say about the granola trifle? Keep it or cut it? I must admit that this brunch is something I kind of fell into. The cousin is getting married, and we are all thrilled. She is a terrific girl who had waited a long time for Mr. Right (she is 34). Anyway, she mentioned her mom was planning an after-wedding brunch, and DH and I offered for her to host it here. The aunt has a small house and yard, and we have a great place for entertaining, so it made sense. Then, SIL and I were discussing a shower for the cousin, and it would probably be at my house. Well, I realized that since I'm going to be getting the house ready for the brunch already, why don't we just do the brunch instead of the shower? It would be loads easier on the aunt this way. Sooo, I offered the brunch. At first the bride hesitated to accept our offer because they were planning on such a large guest list. I must admit that 120 invites was more than I was expecting. However, what could I say? "Forget it, that is too many people. Your mom can do it after all!"? So I assured her it was fine, and that is how I ended up looking like such a brave woman. I am very happy to do it, I love DH's family and they have always been wonderful to me. I just wish that I had an extra half day and a little healthier budget! But hey! I've got the CF, and that is going to help a lot! Thanks again, Nicole
    ...See More

Bonfire Menu Ideas?

Q

Comments (10)
    sounds like fun! These are FANTASTIC! Especially if you can manage to serve em warm....but if not, they're great anyway. We had them last year at a Guy Fawkes bonfire and I was hooked. I've made them so many times since. Bar Nuts From The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, HarperCollins, 1994 These nuts won The New York Press award for "best bar nuts in New York." Every afternoon at about 4:45, a piping hot batch emerges from our ovens and is sent out to the bar, where the sweet rosemary fragrance wafts throughout the restaurant. Though they don't have a television set at they're bar, these nuts would probably be a hit in your living room accompanied by a football game and some ice-cold beer. Yields 5 cups Ingredients  1/4 pound each peeled peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and whole unpeeled almonds or 1 pounds unsalted, assorted nuts.  2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary  1/2 teaspoon cayenne  2 teaspoons dark brown sugar  2 teaspoons kosher salt  1 tablespoon butter, melted 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Toss the nuts in a large bowl to combine and spread them out on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven until they become light golden brown, about 10 minutes. 3. In the large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter. 4. Thoroughly toss the warm toasted nuts with the spiced butter and serve warm. From the The Union Square Cafe Cookbook, ©1994
    ...See More

I am beyond nervous: Easy menu with squash soup for women's club?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, it's going to be the soup (in small mugs; I don't have any soup mugs). Also hot rolls, the dried apricot/mascarpone/walnut appetizer, and blackberry cobbler from the bakery for dessert. Maybe ice cream with the cobbler, or else just leftover cream from my soup recipe. Makes for an awful lot of cream in this menu, but I guess it will be okay. I'll put out green onion tops to sprinkle on the soup. There is no store even 35 miles away that carries chives. I posted a question about the soup recipe because although I've made it many times it's never seemed to me like the amount of squash called for is right. Thanks so much to all of you for your help.
    ...See More

menu ideas? must make use of props

Q

Comments (54)
    Update - the meal was great, I was very happy with it. I roasted the pears with brown sugar and butter in the oven, which was a lot easier than poaching them and then making caramel. However, the latter *is* a superior dish, but maybe not enough to justify the vast increase in effort. Full fat yogurt (or creme fraiche) is the perfect touch as the pears are so sweet. I made the corn pudding from the NYT. I switched out nutmeg for just a dash of cayenne, because I did not want it to taste like dessert. I 1.5x the recipe to match my quantity of corn, but kept the sugar to 1/3 cup. Raves. Delish. For the halibut, I ended up using the Heavenly Halibut recipe Chickadee posted (thank you!) because I agreed when she pointed out that my version had a LOT of garlic. I added 2 cloves of garlic to the HH recipe. I sized the recipe for my quantity of fish, and it made just a top coating. It was very good but quite subtle; everyone liked it but asked what was in it; it surely did not taste cheesy per se. I will make it again! We have the cutest little fish store right on the water here and their halibut was wild caught from Canada, delivered that day. It was perfection.
    ...See More
  • canarybird01
    16 years ago

Ginger I agree that older folks need lighter food and you need something easy to prepare.
    I've looked through some of my recipes and have come up with these as suggestions.
    I hope you find just the right menu to serve to your friends. I'm sure they'll be delighted with anything you serve as it sounds like they enjoy your company very much!

Prep time: 20 minutes
    Cooking time: 15 minutes
    Makes: 8 servings

Ingredients for Salmon:

2 1/2 lbs salmon fillets, cut into 16, 1 inch wide fingers
    3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
    juice and zest of one lemon
    1 garlic clove, finely chopped
    1 TBSP chopped fresh dill
    salt and white pepper to taste
    lemon slices for garnish
    2 to 3 cups baby salad greens

Ingredients for Tzatziki Sauce:

1/2 cup yoghurt
    1/4 cup sour cream
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 English cucumber, coarsely grated
    and squeezed of its moisture
    1 TBSP fresh dill chopped
    salt, fresh cracked black pepper and lemon juice to taste

Preparation:

Salmon can be cooked the night before and served cold the next day.

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Place salmon on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Combine olive oil, lemon juice and zest, garlic and dill in a bowl and brush it over the salmon.

2. Cover salmon with foil and bake for 15 minutes, or until just cooked through. Uncover and cool to room temperature.

3. Cover with plastic wrap, leaving the fish in the pan and put it in the fridge.

4. Combine the tzatziki ingredients in a bowl and store in the fridge until needed.

5. Make a bed of the salad greens on a serving platter, arrange the salmon on top, garnish with lemon slices and serve the tzatziki alongside.

Source: Eric Akis
    Victoria Times Colonist

This was a simple but prize winning recipe in a cross country cooking contest sponsored by a Canadian womens' magazine in the 1960s.

I had it first at a dinner party where the hostess had made mimeographed copies of the recipe beforehand as she said everyone asked for it when she served this dish. This was before the days of photocopiers ! LOL.

Tastes better if made one day ahead.

1 kilo of veal shoulder steak, cut into small bite-size pieces
    2 medium onions, sliced
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 teasp salt
    1/2 teasp pepper
    1 1/2 cups cashews (rinse if they are salted)
    2 TBS butter
    Worcestershire sauce

1). Grind garlic, salt and pepper together in mortar and pestle.

2). Roll veal pieces in this mixture in the mortar and then on a clean plate, being sure pieces are well coated.

3). Brown veal in butter in a saucepan. When brown, add onions, water, tomato sauce and cashews.

4). Simmer slowly until meat and nuts are both tender. About 40 minutes. It may need a bit of water added.

5). Thicken with a bit of flour and a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.

6). Best served the next day. Goes well with rice and a crisp green salad.

SharonCb

(Poached meatballs in lemon & caper sauce.)

Here is a German dish which originated in Koenigsberg, former capital of eastern Prussia, now part of Russia and called Kaliningrad. Having a pleasant, mild flavour, these meatballs are also a low calorie dish as they are cooked in water. They're well known in most German households and are often a family favourite.

Ingredients:
    1/2 lb finely ground veal (225 grams)
    1/2 lb finely ground lean pork (225 grams)
    1 large onion - peeled and finely chopped

finely chopped + 2 finely chopped later for sauce (total 50 grams)
    2 TBS capers finely chopped + 1 TBS whole capers later for the sauce
    1 lg egg, beaten
    3 slices firm
    crusts removed, soaked in water
    juice of 1/2 lemon - or juice of whole lemon if it is very small
    2 bay leaves
    2 whole cloves (aromatic spice cloves)
    1/2 TBS oil for frying onion
    2 TBS flour mixed with water
    salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Saute onion gently until golden and put aside.
    2. Mix the two ground meats with 8 of the chopped anchovies, 2 TBS chopped capers, beaten egg and the soaked bread which has been squeezed dry. Then mix in the cooled fried onion and some salt and pepper.
    3. In a wide saucepan put 3 3/4 cups of water and add some salt, the lemon juice, bay leaves and cloves. Bring to the boil.
    4. Meanwhile form large meatballs with hands and place on a plate - about 14 meatballs. If water boils, turn off until all meatballs are formed.

and bring it slowly back to the boil then lower heat and let simmer gently for 30 minutes. Turn meatballs once or twice during this time.
    6. When cooked, remove meatballs with slotted spoon to a casserole and keep warm. Mix flour and cold water to a paste and add to the cooking water, stirring to thicken. Add the last two anchovies, chopped fine and 1 TBS whole capers. Bring to the boil and simmer 2 - 3 minutes.
    7. Pour
    and serve with boiled potatoes and green beans. I actually had more sauce than what appears here in the photo. I kept the rest in the pot on the stove for keeping hot.
    Note: They turned out very well. My lemon was VERY juice and I used all the juice which was a bit too much. Go easy on the lemon juice if it is a large lemon.

SharonCb

Text from Delia Online:

'This is what I'd call a five-star supper dish for two people, with the added bonus that it only takes about 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish. Serve it with plain boiled basmati rice and a salad of tossed green leaves.'

Serves 2
    Ingredients

12 oz (350 g) pork tenderloin
    1 level teaspoon mustard powder
    1 heaped teaspoon grain mustard
    1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
    4 oz (110 g) small open-cap mushrooms
    7 fl oz (200 ml) creme fraiche
    1 dessertspoon groundnut oil
    1/2 oz (10 g) butter
    1 small onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
    3 fl oz (75 ml) dry white wine
    salt and freshly milled black pepper

You will also need a 9 inch (23 cm) solid frying pan.

First of all prepare the pork by trimming it and cutting it into strips 3 inches (7.5 cm) long and 1/4 inch (5 mm) wide. Then prepare the mushrooms by slicing them through the stalk into thin slices.

Now, in a small bowl, mix together the three mustards with the creme fraiche and, when you're ready to cook the pork, take the frying pan and heat the oil and butter together over a medium heat. Add the onion slices and fry them gently for about 2-3 minutes until they're soft.

Using a draining spoon, remove the onions to a plate, turn the heat up under the pan to its highest setting and, when it's smoking hot, add the strips of pork and fry them quickly, keeping them on the move all the time so they cook evenly, without burning. Then add the mushrooms and toss these around to cook very briefly until their juices start to run. After that, return the onion slices to the pan and stir them in. Season well with salt and pepper, then add the wine and let it bubble and reduce slightly before adding the creme fraiche. Now stir the whole lot together and let the sauce bubble and reduce to half its original volume. Serve immediately spooned over rice.

This recipe is taken from Delia Smith's Winter Collection.

SharonCb

Web Link to Recipe

4 servings

2 cups medium bechamel
    2/3 cup cream
    1/4 cup dry sherry
    2 tsp Knorr dry Onion Soup Mix (or prepare 1 - 2 TBS caramelized fresh minced onion if you have time)
    1 cup frozen peas - cooked
    1 cup button mushrooms, sliced thinly and sauted in butter
    25 medium sized shrimp, cooked, peeled and cleaned with tails removed
    fresh ground black pepper
    4 vol au vent casings
    chopped parsley and paprika to decorate

1) Prepare bechamel and when thickened add onion.

2) Add cream gradually, then sherry, while whisking.

3) Add cooked frozen peas and mushrooms and stir with wooden spoon. Add cooked shrimp and heat gently for a couple of minutes, stirring carefully..

4) Taste and adjust for salt. Grind in some black pepper.

5) Serve over warmed vol au vent casings, sprinkle with chopped parsley and paprika.

* Depending on the size of the vol au vent casings and if this is to be a main course or small appetiser, you may have more servings.

Here's a lovely little recipe which I made for one of our virtual dinners which was around Valentine's Day:

SHRIMP SALAD WITH PINK GRAPEFRUIT

Serving Size: 4
    -------- ------------ ------------------------
    1 lg French lettuce
    16 lg Jumbo Shrimp
    2 lg Pink Grapefruit

For dressing:
    1/4 c Orange juice
    1/8 c Vinegar
    1/4 c Olive oil
    1/8 c Corn oil
    1/4 c Green olives chopped
    1/4 c Onion chopped
    1/4 c Parsley chopped
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 t Paprika (Spanish pimenton)
    Salt and pepper

Cook the shrimps as usual, peel them. Peel the
    grapefruit and separate each piece, also peel the
    white skin, being careful to get the complete pieces.
    Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients.

To serve: put the lettuce leaves on the dish, adorn with the grapefruit and shrimp.

Put the dressing on top and serve.

This salad will be better if the dressing can be prepared two hours before.

Exported from MasterCook
    Patricia Wriedt.

SharonCb

- serves 8

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
    4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 cups milk
    About 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 10-ounce packages)
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
    Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
    Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
    Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.

Source: "Barefoot Contessa Parties" 2001
    Passed on to me by my daughter Michelle
    SharonCb

I was feeling under the weather with the flu one Christmas and as there were just the two of us for Christmas dinner I made a change
    and instead of buying a whole turkey, I bought a whole breast, which I roasted with an orange, onion, jam and thyme glaze.

The results came out so tender and juicy that even I was surprised. I made a quick dressing which I cooked alongside in a separate dish and made a gravy from deglazing the pan with the vegetable water and a little help from a teaspoon each of Bisto gravy granules, Knorr dry onion soup, cornstarch and an Avecrem chicken stock cube. Served with brussels sprouts, peas, carrots, mashed potatoes and gravy.

So this is what I did:

Ingredients:

2 TBS sugarless apricot jam
    1 heaping TBS dried thyme + a little more for sprinkling on top
    1 teasp garlic powder
    fresh ground black pepper
    2 TBS runny honey
    2 TBS butter

1 orange
    1 onion cut into 8ths

Turkey breast weighing 1.360 kg (slightly under 3 lbs)

1. Preheat oven to 350F (I used 325F in my fan oven)

2. In small bowl, mix the jam, thyme and garlic powder to a paste. Spread all over the turkey breast.

3. Cut orange in half and squeeze some of the juice over the turkey, then cut orange into slices and arrange under and on top along with the slices of onion.

4. Cut butter into pieces and dot all over and under breast, then drizzle honey over all.

5. Grind black pepper over top and sprinkle on a little more dried thyme.

6. Cover with foil and roast 1 hour, then remove foil, baste once with juices and butter in pan and roast for another half hour (without foil) or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast reads 170F.

7. Serve with turkey dressing, cranberry sauce and grav

SharonCb

Last night Wolf was watching a German cooking program on his TV while I was watching news on mine. I ended up looking over his shoulder and finally switched my TV to the same channel where a pair of cooks were preparing a light and easy fat-free turkey and rice dinner.

Although they served it warm there in the studio, washed down with glasses of white wine, they recommended it could also be put in the fridge and taken to work or to a picnic the next day, and served cold or at room temperature.

I love rice and cold vegetable salads in the summer, along with ratatouille and dishes containing fried peppers so today I decided to make this very simple dish.

1 lb turkey breast cut into strips and then large dice
    1 lg red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces

, cut into 1 inch pieces
    1 leek, washed and chopped finely (I always include some green tops when I use leek)
    1 medium onion chopped
    1 clove garlic thinly sliced
    1/2 cup or more of white wine
    1 small 10 oz tin corn niblets
    2 cups cooked rice
    fresh Italian flatleaf parsley - chopped
    fresh ground black pepper & salt

1) Put turkey pieces into a non-stick Teflon or similar frying pan without oil and gently cook, turning constantly until pieces have turned white. (Of course you may use oil but it's not necessary.)

2) Add chopped leek, garlic and onion mixing well, then chopped peppers.

Add wine.

3) Keep simmering on low heat while stirring until meat and vegetables are cooked. Add ground black pepper and salt.

4) Add drained corn niblets and cooked rice.

Mix in chopped parsley and serve warm or cool.

SharonCb

- Makes 4 servings.

1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    4 (6-ounce) salmon steaks or fillets
    2 teaspoons honey
    3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
    8 cups spinach leaves
    1/2 teaspoon minced peeled garlic
    2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
    1/2 cup dry red wine

1. Combine salt, mustard, thyme and pepper; mix well. Rub salmon fillets with honey and sprinkle with half the seasoning mixture.
    2. Heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a nonstick skillet. brown both sides of salmon fillets. Toss spinach and garlic with remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Place salmon on spinach, cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake at 300F for 10 minutes.
    3. Saute grapes in skillet used to brown salmon. Add wine bring to a boil, season to taste with remaining seasoning mixture; reduce by half. Serve salmon on spinach; top with grape sauce.

Served on a bed of spinach and spiced with garlic, thyme and mustard, this dish is a culinary and nutritional treasure.

Recipe Source: California Table Grape Commission

SharonCb

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

I think a beautiful roast chicken dinner always fits the bill - whether it is a casual family night or a company dinner.

Instead of going the mashed potatoes and gravy route - for them I would do a lemon rosemary roast chicken and a tray a roasted root vegetables, ceaser salad, and your rolls. A crisp white wine and apple crisp for dessert.

• disneyginger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Shrimp and Grapefruit would be a good choice I think, and I can do much of the work ahead of time, and I bet that would look really spectacular too. And, I bought some Ruby Red from Florida and they were awesome, so if I can get more of them, this really could be a winner.

I like the idea of the poached meatballs.. I am looking at the recipe and seeing how I might do some the day before and finish it. I think the meatballs will need to be made, but not poached, that sort of thing.

The apricot and herb turkey breast would be great too. Flavorful and still light enough for them.

Wine will be on the menu, oh will it be! He immigrated here with his parents when he was little from the northern Italian and southern German area of Europe. I guess his family was from both regions, and over the years, they have gone back and spent a lot of time there. They love wines and especially the German wines.

I have always been intimidated by these people. Always. They are well travelled and have a more formal way of their manners and just plain whatever.

That intimidates me because I am plain. My basic meals are simple and the only reason I go into something different and fussier, is because I enjoy the challenge in the kitchen and cooking is a creative outlet for me sometimes. And, if something I make bombs, then it is just my family and they are used to my new ideas sometimes being more of a real bomb than "the bomb!"

Over the years, it was easier when we had the kids at home, since they provided energized entertainment and I was able to make big family style meals, like fried chicken, baked hams, big spaghetti dinners.

Now, this last time they came, it was just the four of us. Them and us. I pulled it off. The chicken lasagna was made the day before, all the salad stuff was prepped and ready to be assembled, the hard rolls were simple with them rising while we went sight seeing. And, the lemon chiffon cake, which is my standard birthday cake around here, was made the day before and easy peasy for me.

These people are tight with my husband's background. All those who know his parents and he grew up with. My MIL is still alive and she is a witch that is waiting for me to screw-up and prove the point that she was right all along about me.. that I am a worthless cow. So, when these people go back and rave, it is my honor and my reputation in a way that is on the line. And even if it shouldn't matter and let the old cow graze on the weeds in her own mind, sadly, I DO CARE!

I want my home to be warm, friendly, beautiful, and the food to be delicious, fresh, a great presentation, and something to say, "She is a wonderful cook!" about when they leave.

They make me feel like I am on the line and being assessed I guess. I never knew I felt quite that intense about it until I had to think about it and tell you why they intimidate me so much.

Oh well.. if I fail, I fail. But, I will not go down without trying.

• cookie8
    16 years ago

Only because I want to make it so bad. Here's the link from yesterday's thread. It's the asparagus risotto.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cooking/msg0323375228476.html?16

• carla35
    16 years ago

I'd do something maybe like this spinach stuffed pork roast.

If you want to do something ahead you could maybe do a beef brisket, slice (keep in gravy), and then just reheat the day of.

I actually really like maggie's menu idea with the roasted chicken. Even though I know you may be after something a little more different and elegant, it seems the new 'elegant' fad thing around here is making simple foods taste good and maybe just adding a little something extra in presentation.. It seems like all the really good cooks I know and even good restaurants seem to be doing more "back to the basics" type stuff.

Oh, unless you know they can handle it, I'd personally probably not serve shrimp as a course that has to be eaten. (I'd keep it as a side or appetizer). There seem to be a lot of people with allergies or stomach senistivities to it. Then again, maybe my impression on that is all wrong... especially considering I'm allergic to it ;-)

For brunch.. I'd do two totally different quiches (you can make ahead and just bake morning of)-- like bacon cheddar and a spinach feta quiche. I'd offer fruit, some sort of gooey butter or coffee cake (let me know if you want a recipe for gooey butter cake - it's very yummy), and like sausage or bacon depending on what quiche you make. Be sure to have real cream for the coffee, and a couple fresh juices. You may want to even offer mimosas (or what's that peach nectar and champagne drink called? --oh, Bellinis) if deeemed appropriate.

Another brunch idea would be homemade waffles with all the trimmings, and poached eggs, or eggs benedict (but then you'd be cooking a lot last minute).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pork Roast

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I would choose alot from Sharon's list of recipes. They all look fresh, light and impressive.

Ginger, I'm sure 99% of your stress about their visit is undeserved...relax Girl! Feel confident, enjoy the company, and eat well!

I think one of your "desserts" could be AnnT's Chocolate Pate. I'll see if I can find which disk I have the recipe on. It can be made ahead and kept tucked in the fridge...serve small slices with a few fresh berries or good shortbread.

Oh and AnnT's scones are the BOMB! Flavor them with anything.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table
    Chocolate - Pate Du Chocolate With Creme Anglaise
    =================================================

4 Ounces semisweet chocolate
    1/2 cup butter
    5 egg yolks
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 1/2 cups whipping cream
    Creme Anglaise (recipe follows)
    Toasted sliced almonds
    . Melt chocolate with butter; let cool. In bowl, beat egg yolks with
    sugar until thick and pale in colour; beat in cocoa. Beat in cooled
    chocolated mixture Whip cream and fold into chocolate mixture. Turn
    into 8 X 4 inch loaf pan lined with plastic wrap. Cover and refrigerate
    for 2 hours. To serve unmould pate and remove plastic wrap. spoon Creme
    Anglaise onto dessert plates. Top each with 1/2 inch slice of chocolate
    pate. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
    Creme Anglaise
    5 egg yolks
    1/3 cup granulated sugar
    2 cups hot milk
    1 tsp vanilla.
    In bowlw beat egg yolks with sugar until thick and pale in colour;
    gradually whisk in hot milk. Transfer to very heavy saucepan; cook over
    medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or
    until thickened slightly and sauce coats the back of a spoon. Be
    careful not to boil. Stir in vanilla. Strain through fine sieve into
    bowl. Let cool; cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 1 day.
    Makes about 2 cups.

This one comes from Marilyn it's YUMMY!

Golden Lemon Cake Roll

CAKE:
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoons salt
    9 egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup water
    2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
    Powdered sugar
    FILLING:
    1/2 cup sugar
    pinch of salt
    3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    3 egg yolks
    1 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    Heat oven to 375. Grease bottom only of 15X10-inch jelly-roll pan. Line with parchment paper and grease again. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup, level off. In medium bowl, combine flour, first 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks at high speed until a light lemon color. Add second 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until thickened. Add cold water and 2 teaspoons lemon zest, mix well. Gently fold flour mixture into egg mixture, blend well. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake 15 to 18 minutes until light golden. Remove from oven and immediately turn out of pan onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Quickly remove paper. Starting at short side, roll up in towel; cool completely.
    In a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, salt, lemon juice and egg yolks. Cook over low heat until thickened; stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in lemon peel; cool. Whip cream to soft peaks and fold into cooled filling. Unroll cake, spread with filling and roll again without towel. Refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. (Inspired from recipe in "Pillsbury Bake-Off Classics III.)
    *One lemon yields 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) lemon zest and 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) juice.
    Marilyn

• steelmagnolia2007
    16 years ago

Oh, I feel your pain! Even though you enjoy their company, it's pretty stressful to entertain guests who seem terribly cosmopolitan and sophisticated and all that stuff. (And with the specter of your evil MIL lurking over your shoulder. EEK!)

Since you said their visit would be sometime around Easter, I'd let the weather be my guide to some extent. If it's still cold, then soup would be in order. If it's balmy, then you might concentrate on more spring-like dishes.

For lunch, what about Shrimp Remoulade? You could cook the shrimp, make the sauce and prep the salad greens the day before. All you'd have to do before serving is plate it. I love the 'standard' with sliced cucumber, radishes, cherry tomatoes and slices of hard-boiled eggs added.

My other suggestion would be to serve Bananas Foster for dessert. It's so fun because everybody has to get involved. (Put the guys in charge of flambeing.) Drawing them into your kitchen is the surest way to make everyone feel very comfortable!

sm

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Disneyginger: You shouldn't feel intimidated.
    If they didn't love you and your past hospitality, they wouldn't be back.
    They sound like down to earth type people and being they raved about your Lasagna,
    they probably like home style cooked meals.
    A few Chicken Dinners were mentioned. Chicken Caccatori is also good.Ceaser Salad ???

You need a couple of meals that are not too hard to prepare,
    Because you also have to entertain.
    For Dessert you could make a Cheesecake topped with Fruit,
    ahead of time and
    put it in the freezer for whenever. Baked Alaska is easy and impressive.
    If I ever visit you , I'd be happy with an Italian Hoagie.
    and a dip of Ice Cream.
    LOU

• ann_t
    16 years ago

Here's one for you. You might even remember Krasna. I think she started posting immediately after you were sent to Disney.

Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots, Bacon And Port (posted by Krasna)

1 1/2 Lb shallots (about 24) halved lengthwise and peeled)
    3 Tbl olive oil
    6 Cup beef broth
    1 1/2 Cup tawny Port
    1 Tbl tomato paste
    2 3 Lb beef tenderloins, trimmed
    2 Tsp dried thyme (I'd use fresh)
    7 bacon slices chopped
    6 Tbl butter
    1 1/2 Tbl all purpose flour
    1 Bunch watercress (I'd omit)

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375F. In 9-inch- diameter pie
    pan, toss shallots with oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Roast
    until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about
    30 minutes. Boil broth and Port in large saucepan~
    until reduced to 3 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste.
    NOTE: This may be done a day ahead

Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In large
    roasting pan , saute bacon over medium until golden, about 4 minutes. Using
    slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all
    sides over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Transfer pan to oven; roast
    beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125F for
    medium-rare, about 45 minutes. Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with
    foil.

Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place roasting pan over
    high heat. Add broth mixture and bring to boil, scraping up any browned
    bits. Transfer to medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix 3 tablespoons butter
    and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture and
    simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter.
    Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season sauce with salt and
    pepper.

Cut beef into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon some sauce over.

Garnish with watercress. Pass remaining sauce.

Serves 12.

• lisacdm
    16 years ago

Sometimes I find myself overthinking things and I make myself crazy. From past experience I've found that it's better to make something simple (or that you think is simple) tried and true, than something new (to you) and use the best ingredients.
    I've has success in the past with Ina's "Elegant and Easy" episode recipes:
    roasted potatoes, roasted tomatoes and beef tenderlion.
    here is the link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ig/episode/0,1976,FOOD_9971_21196,00.html

I also like the pork tenderlion wrapped in pancetta recipe from the weber site, I prepped the night before, I served with wild rice and roasted veggies (eggplant, tomatoes, asparagus, red pepper, onions & garlic):

Tenderloin Wrapped in Pancetta

Pancetta, a salt-cured Italian bacon, adds rich flavor here and, if crisped over Direct heat at the end, it creates a compelling contrast to the tenderloin.

For the rub:

1 tablespoon minced garlic
    2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
    2 teaspoons kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 pork tenderloins, about 1 pound each
    1/4 pound thinly sliced pancetta

To make the rub: In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients.

Trim any excess fat and silver skin from the tenderloins and spread the rub evenly all over, pressing the spices into the meat. Cut six 12-inch pieces of cotton string, three for each tenderloin. Wrap the tenderloin with the slices of pancetta and secure the pancetta with the string. (The tenderloins do not need to be completely covered.) Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.

Grill the tenderloins over Indirect Medium heat until the centers are barely pink and the internal temperature reaches 155°F, 25 to 30 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Move the tenderloins over Direct Medium heat for the last 3 minutes if you want to crisp the pancetta. Allow the tenderloins to rest for 3 to 5 minutes, then snip the strings with scissors and remove them. Cut the tenderloins in thin slices on the bias and serve warm.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.

• blueiris24
    16 years ago

Oh Sharon what wonderful looking recipes! I'm going to have to try some of these, haven't seen them before

• riverrat1
    16 years ago

I have guest arriving Saturday that will be staying until Monday. I think I'll use several of these recipes while my guest are here. YUM to the Beef Tenderloin with Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port. I will for sure make that one.