SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caminnc1

Do you have a favorite appetizer you would like to share?

caminnc
11 years ago

Looking for something other than pinapple cheeseball or meatballs (which are delicious) but just want something new that I might not have tried that will impress. Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

Comments (14)

• Gina_W
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

A recent sweet-salty-savory favorite is bacon-wrapped dates. Cut bacon in half and roll it around a date (Costco dates are the best - plump and moist), secure with party toothpicks and bake until bacon is cooked. Drain and serve. Yummmmm.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohh, that sounds wonderful gina! How can you go wrong with bacon and dates. Thanks!

• Related Discussions

do you have a favorite...please share

Q

Comments (4)
    Well, I am an Irish Whiskey on the rocks guy, but my wife likes an Orgasm occasionally (no pun intended) it is: 1/2 oz Kahlua 1/2 oz Amaretto 1/2 oz Bailey's Irish Cream You can layer it if you like, but I just mix it and serve on the rocks. To make it a Screaming Orgasm, add 1/2 oz Vodka.
    ...See More

Let's see a favorite room you would like to have...

Q

Comments (28)
    Oh, yes, I can imagine myself chilling out in that room any day, any time. I LOVE everything about that house. I could move right in and would not have to change anything, and I cannot say that very often (if ever). I linked the architects website below with more pictures of this house. If I won the lottery, the first phone call to a non-family member would be to this architect, LOL! Here is a link that might be useful: Red Beach House
    ...See More

Would you share your favorite Quiche recipe?

Q

Comments (2)
    Jessy, thanks so much for the link! I missed a number of good posts last spring - long story - and this was one of them.
    ...See More

Car colors, do you have a favorite...or do you even care?

Q

Comments (172)
    Along with heated seats and mirrors, my Audi has a heated steering wheel option that I love. Both the seats and steering wheel heat almost instantaneously. Although it's not as cold here in the PNW as some places, I love having a warm steering wheel most days/mornings of the year. I also wanted a back up camera, as I'm always delivering and picking up my grandson from school and those little ones can be hard to see walking behind the car. One feature I hate about this car, though, is they placed the bright headlight indicator on the lower left side of the instrument panel and, even though I'm not particularly short, I cannot see it without raising myself up to peer over the steering wheel. Not the wheel, but the center spoke/bar of the wheel; it hides the indicator. My good fried with a newer Volvo SUV says the same is true in her car...she can't see the indicator without lifting herself up to see over the wheel spoke. It also has the radio controls on the center console, so if you bump it or set your purse on the digital station settings, it whacks everything up and you lose all your presets. It's obvious that men engineer all these vehicles as the features are often not female user friendly.
    ...See More
  • momof2doxies
    11 years ago

I have a new favorite that olychick posted earlier this month. It is the goat cheese pops. I made 100 of these for our Christmas Open House Food drive benefit and they were gone quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goat Cheese Pops

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

I'm in love with a version of what Gina offered....but slice the date and stuff with chorizo before wrapping in bacon....oh my!

The nibble that gets the best reviewes for me is my Stuffed Mushrooms....been making them for a million years but no matter what else I serve they are always the hit.

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

I'm in love with a version of what Gina offered....but slice the date and stuff with chorizo before wrapping in bacon....oh my!

The nibble that gets the best reviewes for me is my Stuffed Mushrooms....been making them for a million years but no matter what else I serve they are always the hit.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

My family inhales gravlax. I just finished putting up 1+ kg of it last night, to be ready for slicing on Christmas Eve. We serve it with cream cheese, finely sliced red onions and capers, on thin mini bagel rounds or crostinis.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Gravlax

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Another of my favorites that is always a BIG hit is Olive Poppers. I remember making them in the 1960's from Sunset Magazine, I think. They've made a comeback, at least around here, partially because of Tom Douglas serving them in his restaurants. This is his recipe; the original used plain black olives or maybe pimento stuffed green olives. I use kalamata now and some kind of green olive (make half a batch of each kind) - garlic stuffed is good, but pimento remains my fav.

Since I can't buy huge kalamatas where I live, I use the biggest pitted ones I can find and kind of splay them open (2 of them for each popper) and wrap them around the cream cheese. The olives don't have to be pretty. I never mess with the pastry bag. I don't use cream cheese with the green stuffed ones and can usually find colossal green ones with no problem

Palace Olive Poppers

Tom Douglas Seattle Kitche

6 to 8 Servings
    If you want to make a lot of poppers for a party, double or triple the recipe and use a pastry bag with a plain 1/4-inch round tip to fill the olives.Soften the cream cheese first by beating it lightly with and electric mixer. Unbaked, these dough-wrapped olives will keep refrigerated,covered with plastic wrap, for a day or two and then baked when needed.

24 colossal size Kalamata olives(or pitted green olives)
    3 tablespoons cream cheese
    1 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter,melted
    1 to 2 tablespoons milk, as needed

Herb Sour Cream Dressing (Dip for the Poppers)

1/2 cup sour cream
    3 tablespoons heavy cream
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
    1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
    pinch of freshly ground black pepper
    Kosher salt(optional)

1 Pit the olives with an olive pitter,keeping them as whole and unbroken as possible. Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and beat it with a spoon to soften it slightly.Using your fingers, stuff the olives with the softened cream cheese. Set aside.

2 Combine the Cheddar cheese,flour, Tabasco,and salt in a bowl,using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.Add the melted butter and mix.Add the milk,starting with 1 tablespoon and using more as needed, and mix. Use your hands to knead the dough for a minute until a soft dough is formed.

3 Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.Pinch off small balls of dough about the same size as the olives.Flatten each ball of dough with your fingers and wrap each olive with it. Place the dough-wrapped olives on a parchment-lined baking sheet about an inch apart. Bake until golden brown,about 25 minutes.

Olychick note: Serve warm - if they've cooled too much just warm them for a minute in the oven. Don't microwave them. If you want to differentiate the poppers with the black from the green olives, I usually sprinkle some paprika on the green olive ones before baking.

Oh, and they do hold well, unbaked for a few days. Just makes sure you keep the olives kind of dry when you're assembling them. And I never make the dip either, I just serve them plain.

• JaniceP
    11 years ago

A variation of the dates wrapped in bacon: stuff the dates with gorgonzola (or blue cheese) before wrapping. Yummy!

• ann_t
    11 years ago

I can vouch for Sharon's stuffed mushrooms. They are the best.

A few of my favourites.

Mushrooms and Pimento in Puff Pastry

The Foods and Wines of Spain

1 package puff pastry
    1 Tablespoon olive oil
    1 Tablespoon minced onion
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 Tablespoons minced pimiento
    preferably homemade
    1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped fine
    1/2 dried red chili crumbled or 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    Salt and pepper to taste
    2 Teaspoons grated parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onion and garlic until onion is
    wilted. Add the pimiento and cook for a minute, then the mushrooms,
    chili pepper, salt, and pepper and saute until mushrooms are softened.
    Remove from the heat and stir in cheese.

Roll the puff pastry to 1/8 inch. You can cut Cut into 1 3/4 inch
    circles and place 1 teaspoon of filling on half of the circles. Moisten
    the edges with water, cover with the remaining pastry circles, and
    press with the tines of a fork to seal.

I prefer to make them triangle shape,by cutting the pastry into 2 1/2
    inches squares, add filling on one half and then folding over corner to
    form a triangle.

(May be prepared ahead and refrigerated) Place on a dampened cookie
    sheet and bake at 425 F on the upper rack of the oven for 7 to 10
    minutes or until golden.

( To cut down on work you could make this appetizer in a larger size
    and Bake for about 20 minutes.) Then cut into wedges.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Blue Cheese Tartlets
    Source: Williams-Somona

8 ounces tart pastry dough (or frozen puff pastry)
    3 ounces spinach or Swiss Chard
    1 egg
    2/3 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup freshly grated Emmenthaler Cheese
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Salt and pepper
    3 ounces Blue Cheese (Roquefort, Gorgonzola, etc.)
    2 tablespoons pine nuts
    . If using tart pastry, prepare the dough and refrigerator 30 minutes before you are ready to roll it out. If using commercial puff pastry defrost in the refrigerator or at room temperature.

Preheat an oven to 425�F. Bring a large saucepan filled with water to a boil. Plunge the spinach or Swiss Chard into the boiling water and cook for 30 seconds. Immediately drain in a colander and rinse with
    cold water to halt the cooking. Drain again, pressing against the greens to force out as much water as possible; set aside.

Break the egg into a bowl. Add the cream, Emmenthaler cheese, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste and beat with a fork until completely blended. Coarsely chop the spinach or chard and add it to the bowl; stir well.

On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out as thinly as possible. Sprinkle the Roquefort or other blue cheese evenly over the dough. With a fluted pastry cutter about 1 1/4 inches in diameter, cut out 18 dough rounds. Use the rounds to line 18 individual tartlet pans or wells in tartlet trays or miniature muffin pans. If using the former,arrange the lines pans on a large baking sheet. Fill each lined pan with some of the egg mixture and scatter a few pine nuts on top. Place the tarlets in the oven and bake until the filling sets and the crust
    is golden, about 15 minutes. Serve Warm.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

If you are looking for something easy, both of these are really simple and always well received. You can buy the focaccia instead of baking your own.

And the mini cocktail toasts are easy to find in most grocery stores.

All you need for this is mini toasts, toasted walnut halves and soft goat cheese and a drizzle of good quality olive oil.

Focaccia with Warm Goat Cheese

1 focaccia, homemade or purchases

1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips and drizzled with olive oil.

1 recipe homemade Tapanade (or purchase all ready made)

Chevre (Goat cheese)

Cut the Focaccia into bite size squares

Cut the roasted pepper into small strips

Warm the Goat Cheese in the microwave to soften.

Put a dollop of goat cheese on top of each square of focaccia.

On half the focaccia place a few strips of pepper and on the other half place a small spoon of Tapanade.

• lindalou
    11 years ago

i can vouch for this hot crab and artichoke dip. i make it every Christmas Eve. it's gone in no time flat!! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: joelle's famous hot crab and artichoke dip

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

I just made these savory palmiers from Ina Garten for Christmas Eve and they are easy and wonderful. Pesto, goat cheese, and sun dried tomatoes with a sprinkle of Parmesan on top (my only change to the recipe).

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory palmiers

• pattypeterson2208
    11 years ago

I know you already mentioned meatballs but I really like the Italian meatballs I buy the Farm Rich brand dump them in the crock pot and dump a jar of roasted garlic Alfredo sauce in and heat thru one of my faves. Another one is water chestnuts wraped in bacon I do not have the recipe for the sauce. Things are still in a mess from the move sorry. I also vote for stuffed mushrooms and hot pepper jelly on cream cheese. Good luck with your entertaining and let us know how it goes. Patty

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Very easy and yummy:

In "Mini Fillo Shells" (in frozen foods, with doughs):
    -fill almost half with a small piece of a hard, strong cheese like gruyere or jarlsberg
    -fill almost the rest of the way with a jam or jelly of your choice.

Leave enough space for bubbling.

Bake 350 - about 10-12 mins, until golden and bubbly, let cool at least 5 mins before unleashing to avoid burned lips.

There are never any of these leftover.

• caminnc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OMG, thank you all so much! I am going to make a few of these Christmas day but I promise I will make ALL of them soon. They All sound outstanding. I often enjoy the appetizers more than the meal. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all and thanks for all your help through out the year!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio