SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

Beadboard or Picture Frame Wainscoting:What's best in a bathroom?

cupofkindness
13 years ago

We are in the final stages of a bathroom remodel that we began many years ago. I would like to install some sort of wainscot paneling in this bathroom, which serves my three sons ages 20, 18, and 9 years old. Many years ago we re-built the neo-angle shower, but poor quality workmanship meant unending mold, so we recently ripped out that shower and build a mud shower which should last forever. Also at this time we replaced the cheapy sink vanity and toilet with Kohler.

The bathroom is rather small. It is 7 feet from doorway to rear wall, and 5.5 feet wide. The neo-angle shower in the back right hand corner. No bathtub. The white Kohler Memoirs toilet sits next to the shower in the alcove created on the right side of the shower. The Kohlers Memoirs pedestal sink is to the right of the doorway. It will have a 24" by 30" Robern recessed medicine cabinet installed above it. Since we have picture-frame paneling in several areas of our home, including the room that serves as the boys bedroom (but is in reality a game room). The bedroom paneling is genuine picture frame wainscoting created board by board in a rich amber oak color. I would love to do picture frame paneling in this small bathroom, but cannot afford to hire a carpenter to put in a solid wood wainscoting. In fact, my carpenter will most likely be my husband and 18 year old son.

As much as I love beadboard, I do have concerns that it will appear rather out of place in my home. Also, "kits" to DIY fabricate wainscoting often use MDF, which worries me in a bathroom application. Perhaps I could use a marine quality paint to seal it? But I know if the wainscoting is scratched or chipped, the MDF absorbs moisture and will expand, thus causing further cracking and peeling of paint.

Has anyone had any experience with on-line companies selling these pre-fab or easy to create/install kits? I'll link an example of one below. Or perhaps you can recommend something at a big box store?

Timewise, I need to move quickly as the painters are coming in about two weeks. I have read that when you install wood paneling, you need to allow it to acclimate to your home's temperature and humidity levels so that it won't shrink or warp once installed. Thanks in advance for your assistance!

~Cupofkindness

Here is a link that might be useful: MDF Wainscoting Kits

Comments (20)