SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
francienolan

Does anyone have a smoking parlor?

francienolan
13 years ago

My husband and I are smokers, as are several members of our family. We only allow smoking on our sunporch, which has windows on two sides. We do heat and cool the room, however.

I'm curious as to whether we are the only ones who allow smoking anywhere inside. Also, if you do have a smoking room, do you have any ventilation? We are trying to figure out a ventilation system that won't also vent the heating/cooling out? In our experience, air purifiers don't work.

Any help would be appreciated, but please, no lectures. :)

Comments (67)

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

We have a smoke free home, and none of our friends smoke so it's rarely an issue. Only when my BIL and his wife come over - they go outside to smoke (and we can smell it when they come inside.)

They smoke inside their home and it must have lots of smoke smell (we haven't been there for years for that reason) because when they give my kids gifts for Christmas, the gifts smell very strongly. If the gift is washable, I always wash then donate it; if it's not washable I sometimes end up tossing it rather than donating. I'd rather they not waste their money, but I don't know how to tell them that the gifts smell, without offending. Any tips for gentle ways to tell them the gifts smell? Or should I continue to keep my mouth shut? (Sorry, I know this is OT, but maybe someone has some good advice from a smoker's point of view.)

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Keep your mouth shut :). That would never be polite and could only cause pain and embarrassment.

I actually have a smoking parlor in our Victorian but we dont allow smoking in it for all of the reasons above as well as possible damage to art work. We are however planning a gazebo outside of the kitchen/above the wine cellar which will be available for smoking cigars on occasion. Because it will house the escape hatch to the wine cellar it needs walls which will be openable windows. You could easily add a little air unit to something like this to keep it cool....

We considered allowing smoking (cigars really) in the pool room but even the best cigar bars with huge ventilation systems that I've been in retain a smell. People who think they don't....probably smoke a lot. I can tell it in a car that a smoker keeps the window open in or on people's clothing. There really is no way to avoid that hazard with smoking. Not that that stops me from the occasional cigar heh heh but I don't think that you can make a dedicated room and expect any ventilation system to do much for you long term.

But I will say.....this lamps Mitch mentioned are amazing for the smell! It won't take care of the rest of the damage and I dont know if it would continue to work with daily smoking but they're pretty cool.

• Related Discussions

anyone have "Morning Smoke" brick?

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't have any pics, but we used Tudor Series Phoenix in Morning Smoke. So Tudor is oversized, Phoenix is the underlying color, and Morning Smoke was the antique white washed type coating. We really like the brick. We had a need for 45 degree angle brick (bay window), and General Shale makes it, but in a different plant, so it would not match well. So we just have a mortar joint all the way up and down there. And they don't make a solid brick (they all have holes), so you have to work around that for some decorative work. Oh, and we're in Charlotte, NC, area. Brian
    ...See More

smoke anyone??

Q

Comments (23)
    Ok mkroopy, he told me that this morning and it worked! Chores were done and Momma was HAPPY! On a side note, I have fabulous news to report. I never said anything to hubby about this smoking thing. We went on vacation last weekend and he didn't smoke at all. My folks went with us and out of respect my Dh won't smoke around them, nor his parents. He went 5 days without a smoke. (he was a bit crabby day 1 and 2) When we got home, he immediately lit up. The next night when he came to bed he said 'I want to quit smoking' WHAT???? He said he felt so good over the weekend and then was feeling like crap again the first day back. He said he just doesn't have any energy but that he felt great over the weekend and then was back to feeling bad the next day back to work. So he set a quit date of yesterday. He slowed Down over the week an came to a complete stop some point on Thursday. We were so busy this week we weren't home for him to sit outside etc. Today we got sitters for the kids and we are spending time cleaning the house, 'fall cleaning our closets, kids rooms, getting ready for day one of school in a week. He is being a bit crabby but I'm taking into consideration the withdrawals he is going through and I am NOT nagging him. We talked about my feelings at that point and how he has not been helping around the house much lately and that I just feel completely overwhelmed with the house work and kids. So we set out a schedule that we want to get in to for the beginning of school and I'm really excited about it. I really hope he quits for good. Since it was his choice and had nothing at all to do with my nagging ( since I had not started yet) I think he will be successful. I'm so proud of him!
    ...See More

BM Wedgewood Gray, Smoke, or Palladian Blue Anyone?

Q

Comments (27)
    lyban: The Mount Sainte Anne also looks very nice; but seems I did not pull a card for it when I was at BM--even though I pulled almost all the blues grays and greenish colors. I find so many times posters will recommend a color and it's not out in the racks and I need to request it; wonder why that is? Next time I go in I will ask for it, though, as it also looks a good possibility. DS is resereving judgment until I put the sample boards up as he felt the colors looked different between my computer monitor and the paint chips. I'm taking DS out this evening to finalize the mattress--there is a Friends and Family additional 10% off sale at Sears and the associate I was working with suggested I'd get a better price then.
    ...See More

Anyone stopped smoking after years of smoking?

Q

Comments (38)
    I have been a lurker here forever...never posted. I know how hard it is to quit smoking. I smoke for over 20 years about 2 1/2packs a day. I quit 5 years ago. I had tried to quit several times but always went back. I quit by picking a date.I told myself that it was going to be hard but every day would be easier. I also read that when you quit smoking your body is over the withdraw from nicotine 48-72 hours after you last smoke. I told myself the first 3 days would be the hardest and after the 3 days it is all a mind game. I really believe that is what help me stop smoking is knowing that my body did not need the nicotine, that it was my mind. i did take a mini vaction from work, some people say they get very tired from not smoking.... The first 6 months are hard....you will give yourself every excuse to smoke again...it has been 5 years and once in great while i will still get the urge to smoke...I know I cannot smoke or even try to smoke...because I will be right back where I was. I wish you the best of luck
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Thanks tina & wodka - good to know - I REALLY want to move!

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Lampe berger was mentioned once before as an air cleaner. I was intrigued and looked into it. Saw they aren't sold in California so inquired and found that they don't meet CA regulations for VOCs.

Smoking rules have been around this area for over 20 years. I don't think there's anything odd or unusual about it at this point and it's pretty much expected and accepted that the smoke needs to be controlled.

I have heard of cigar rooms for the guys. Having a 'smoking parlor' is above and beyond for most people, I think, but it certainly makes sense if there are smokers in the house or who visit frequently enough. Otherwise they usually step outside. These days I don't think anyone would dream of just lighting up in someone else's house.

You might heat and cool the porch separately to keep the mix of air at a minimum. And use a filtering system to clean the air. A closed off room for smoking would contain a lot of smoke. It needs to be vented well.

Here is a link that might be useful: VOCs lampe berger

• peaches12345
    13 years ago

I am a smoker and would never ask to smoke in a non-smoker's home and don't even go outside their home to smoke unless I am invited to do so or if there are ashtrays outdoors. However....in my own home???? It's my home to enjoy and it would never occur to me not to smoke wherever I pleased at home. I am not a rude person, but for heaven sake it's my house. I do not smoke in my house if there are non-smokers here and I do spray Febreze before they come. But that is as far as I'll go to accomodate others in my own house.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

I don't think anyone was suggesting that smokers should not smoke in their own homes or lecturing or bragging about who knows what. There are even smokers out there who don't want smoke smell or nicotine staining their entire home so they contain it. I don't think the purpose of having a smoking room in a smoker's house is for the comfort of non-smoking guests. That would be something! As would actually expecting a smoker to leave their own house to take a puff, lol.

I wonder if rentals ask people to smoke outside. I'm surprised when I see people stepping outside their own place to smoke even when they live alone but they are renting. It could be the landlord, for fire and residue reasons. I imagine it makes painting more difficult, like candles do. Our walls, curtains, furnishings were all stained yellow from my father's smoking. Along with some cigarette burns to the furniture from a ciggy that rolled off its tray.

I believe I heard NY was going to regulate apartment buildings for health reasons because the smoke circulates from unit to unit. I have a neighbor who smokes outside and I get it downstream and into my house. Not a lot of course. He smokes like a steam engine too. I find myself checking outside sometimes to make sure it's not something burning inside my house.

So, why does the OP have a smoking porch when they are smokers?

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oakleyok, thanks for your support. :)

For those who asked, almost all public places in the South are smoke free. We are not a foreign country, and we do watch the news. In our town, smokers can smoke outside businesses if they get at least 25 feet away from the entrance, but parks are non-smoking. Restaurants can choose to be ALL smoking or ALL non-smoking. Only one restaurant has chosen the smoking option, but they do have a non-smoking section. There is a sign on the door to advise everyone before they enter that it is a smoking establishment.

That said, my house is not a public place, and everyone who comes to visit us knows we smoke. I am actually trying to make it more comfortable for my visitors. The room we use for smoking is completely cut off from the rest of the house, with its own heating/cooling system. My husband is a Vietnam Vet with PTSD. He's not going to quit smoking, and he isn't going to go outside. It is what it is.

Smokers do know we stink to other people. Sorry. But if we're not free in our own homes, where are we free? We are old enough to remember when it was considered rude not to allow smoking, and everyone was expected to have ashtrays for guests, whether the homeowner smoked or not. Think the tv show Mad Men. When smoking was allowed in hospitals, department stores, doctors offices...practically everywhere. As much as I respect your right to not be exposed to second-hand smoke, I'd like to be shown some respect for making the extra effort to make my home comfortable for people who don't live here. It's not something I'm required to do. To put it bluntly, I'm trying to be politically correct without giving up my own freedom.

As to the practical side of this, I don't know why I didn't think of the simple fan turned toward the open window trick. Thanks for whoever suggested it, I'm a little bummed right now and don't want to search for it. That actually should work, and since the windows have screens it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I never heard of the Berger lamp. Will check it out, as well as all the other links you fine folks have provided. Thank you.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Willow - I have never heard of those lamps either.

I don't think anyone was lecturing (not lecturing YOU anyway), or bragging???!!! Just saying what goes on in our own homes. It goes without saying that you should do what you like in your own home.

I hope you were not offended by the responses, I truly think people gave you HONEST opinions.

tina

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tina, I'm sure they were honest, and I truly appreciate honesty. I have learned to love reading the threads here. I only have one gripe about (some of) the responses: They didn't answer the question. Also, some of the responses indicated that they were pretty horrified that anyone smokes inside...and assumed it might be worse in the South??? No.

That said, I did get some valuable info on this thread. So, I'm okay if y'all are okay. :) Just wanted to be as honest as the responses I received.

@ patty0315, I appreciated your response. Thanks!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Tina, go back and read the replies, the majority of them said there was no smoking in their home and how smokers stink, blah blah. Hardly anyone offered her the advice she was asking for and she got the ususal lectures and bragging (about how they don't smoke, how smokers stink, how they have to walk a 10 miles from the house to smoke) on their smoke-free life. I knew it would happen, I fixed the popcorn after I read her title. :)

Willow, I'm the one who suggested the fan and I think it will work. I forgot about the screen on the windows. Perfect!

I inherited a beautiful antique oak smoke stand from my dad that I'll take a picture of later.

• torsade
    13 years ago

Willowdee, I wanted to add that I knew a smoker who had an aprilair device in his home, many years ago (early 90s?). I don't know if they even sell them anymore, but his home didn't smell of smoke.
    My DH smokes at least an after dinner cigarette, every day, in the house, in the winter. I smoke maybe once monthly. We don't apologize to guests. They know that smoking is tolerated in some places in the house. We limit smoking to the den off of our bedroom and the sunroom for their comfort AND to reduce the nicotine elsewhere in the house.
    It's a sticky subject. If the fan doesn't help, Dee, maybe look for the other device or aprilair.
    AND THANKS TO YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND, for his service!

• Boopadaboo
    13 years ago

They for sure do sell them torsade. I suggested it above, and we installed one just a couple years ago. I thought it did a great job.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Willow - I'm okay! Glad you are too. Well, I'm guilty in a way of not answering the question, but I guess when I said we are a no smoking home you pretty well figured we don't have a smoking parlor. LOL!! And I did kind of pick up on the south - but figured that is because of the tobacco grown here (well not so much now). My point was more that I have lived in the south all my life and have not heard of smoking parlors.

No need for me to read the replies, I did that before any of my responses.

tina

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

oakley I did go back and read and the original post says, among other things:

"I'm curious as to whether we are the only ones who allow smoking anywhere inside"

That is what I responded to. I will not speak for anyone else, but do not accuse me of lecturing or bragging - you're off base. willowdee is allowed to have the smoking activity of her choice within her house, as am I. Enjoy your popcorn.

willowdee my question regarding regional smoking was in response to a comment up-thread about smoking balconies or smoking parlors in relation to the south. I didn't make it up and I simply asked a question. I know you're not in a foreign country but I also don't question that there are cultural differences north to south, east to west in this country. It was a legitimate question in relation to something pending in my life - please don't make it into something that it's not.

• natal
    13 years ago

I live in the hot & humid deep south. Smoking is banned in our restaurants ... thank God. Now if they would just ban perfume-wearers. ;)

Dh & I both smoked. I stopped in '83. He stopped and started again a few times before finally kicking it for good (I hope!) about 4 years ago with Chantix.

Watching my dad die a slow death from emphysema made us more aware of how the nasty habit effects other people. One of the things we did was to relegate smoking to our screened in back porch. I guess that was our smoking parlor. I'm glad it's no longer an issue for us and if we have guests who smoke they know it can only be on the porch or in the yard.

Oakley, smokers do stink ... like a dirty ashtray ... their clothes and their breath. I was one, so I know.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

The fan I have is a Holmes window fan; model 2040 that each side has it's own controls so you can use it as an exhaust; intake or both to circulate the air.

Here is a link that might be useful: Holmes window fan

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your input, everyone. I'm sorry I said I was curious...actually I am not all THAT curious, was just making a side comment. If you chose to respond to that part of the question, my bad.

At any rate, I believe I have found a solution. For those of you who do smoke in your house but didn't want to reply, you might want to check out the link below. I've checked it out from here to kingdom come, and the reviews are good.

Once again, oakley...thanks! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: RabbitAir

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I'm one who said we don't smoke and I can smell it on others, and if that came off as nasty, I'm sorry. I truly didn't mean to offend.

I read this not to pontificate on either side of the smoking fence, but because I have a dog. Pre-dog, I used to be very sensitive to dog smells in other people's homes. Now in my own home, I don't smell him, but I'm not so sure how it smells to other people.

I think I will have someone come over who will tell me the blunt truth (my mom) about whether it smells like a dog. Then I can reread some of these hints to see what works best. Smoke, dog, garlic... regardless of the source of an odor, I think we'd all like to have a fresh smelling house.

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No worries, chicagoan...water under the bridge. Good luck with your mom!

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Willow my dear....if I didn't say it clearly, my comment was in general to say that I have looked into the subject and don't find even the most expensive professional fan to be of much use....but I should qualify that by saying they don't remove the smell IN THE SMOKING PARLOR but I have been in the bar near the cigar room and you smell nothing so they do seem to contain the smoke to that room, which is what you are probably after.

As to the whole voc crap....oh for gods sake! You really should look into a lamp Berger for the smoking room. California puts a label on you as dangerous if you sneeze in a freaking sherwin Williams store :) don't fall for their hype :). You're from the south....you have some common sense right? (I just left LA a couple of days ago....gad I love y'all lol). Bergers Are a) beautiful and b) effective. But hunt out your scent because a little bit goes a long ways with many if them.

By the way...cool girls go into cigar bars too :p. They aren't just for the boys anymore.

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

igloochic, I don't think I expressed my problem in a specific enough way. I'm not really concerned about the smell in the room. I know there's no way to remove it. That is why we confine smoking to a room that is completely cut off from the rest of the house. It's the smoke itself that I'm trying to remove, for the comfort of our guests.

I inherited my parents' home, so my house is the gathering place for the whole family. Several of us smoke, so sometimes several people are smoking at the same time. My brother and SIL visit often, and I know the smoke not only stinks, but it makes their eyes water, etc. I am looking for a way to exhaust the smoke itself so that won't happen anymore.

I might consider smoking on the patio only, but my husband won't. I've tried the electronic cigarettes and was successful for 10 months. Then some serious life issues got in the way and I went back to regular cigarettes. As I mentioned, DH is a disabled vet with PTSD. He also has emphysema. Many days, he doesn't even get dressed...he stays in his pajamas and robe all day. I'm simply trying to make it easier on him as well as anyone who visits.

We're small town, so we don't have a cigar bar. But if there was one, I would take my husband there. Do they allow cigarette smoking????? LOL

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I just want to know more about the Berger? Does it actually act as an odor eliminator or does it just camouflage the odor? What are some popular frangrances?

Tuesday

• User
    13 years ago

I have several, and they do work.

My parents got them at a time when they both smoked and used them before I, or other nonsmokers, would visit.

My dad died from emphysema and mom is just too tired to smoke anymore, but she still uses hers now and then.

You have to remember to cap it and not forget it, however, because the fuel/oil is expensive (last time I purchased, several years ago, I think it was a little over $20 per bottle) and if you leave it in a room and forget about it, eventually the fuel will run out over a period of hours. I have read of people that successfully make their own fuel from alcohol and fragrance, and I know people that have used some of the less expensive fragrances that have come on the market the last few years for similar products.

History of Lamp Berger

• User
    13 years ago

By the way, I agree with Igloo--the fragrances can be very strong.

I prefer Sweet Pear, Winterwood, Neutral and sometimes New Orleans, but it is stronger than the others.

• itltrot
    13 years ago

As someone who no longer smokes, I appreciate your thoughtfulness to make your guests more comfortable.

I have a friend who takes extra steps when I visit. While she doesn't smoke indoors, she does have a cat and hand soap that I am allergic too. Go figure. She keeps a special bottle of soap for me and always has claritan to offer if the cat bothers me. I appreciate her efforts and going that extra step to vacuum the furniture and put out my soap. I never hesitate to visit her home. There are other friends home's that I can't go to because of my allergies. It's nice to have someone think of your comfort even in their home. That's a true hostess.

So thank you on the behalf of your non smoking company.

• wodka
    13 years ago

I second the Winterwood - love the fragrance and always received lots of compliments on it.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

Well, I didn't quite understand the original post. "we only allow smoking on our porch" then "I'm curious as to whether we are the only ones who allow smoking anywhere inside" did not jive to my mind. I thought maybe you meant to write "DO NOT allow smoking anywhere inside". The conversation seemed to follow fine and naturally from a general request for information, imo, on local customs and the issues with the smoke and ventilation which had been part of the question. I don't see the problem. It is what it is.

So with regards to my comments, I went with the title and first comment, dedicated smoking rooms only. It's surprising someone would stop smoking in their entire house for the sole reason of periodic visitors. Smoking rooms while entertaining, however, is a great idea and probably not uncommon these days for hosts to make sure all of their guests are accommodated and comfortable.

I did enjoy smoking at one time many years ago, glad I quit, but can't even be around it anymore for health reasons. My lungs close up and I can't breathe. I know others who also simply can not be around smoke (or other things like perfumes). Can't imagine trying with emphysema. I don't think I could smoke again even if I wanted to.

Health problems due to the second-hand smoke has become a known fact which is the reason for public concern and regulations now. I don't see any reason to be personally offended by that although it would be an inconvenience.

Hope the fans and filters work for your needs.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Why are the "bottles" so expensive? I can't see paying $45-$85 on a 5 inch bottle that will get lost in the room.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

"As to the whole voc crap....oh for gods sake! You really should look into a lamp Berger for the smoking room. California puts a label on you as dangerous if you sneeze in a freaking sherwin Williams store :) don't fall for their hype :). You're from the south....you have some common sense right? (I just left LA a couple of days ago....gad I love y'all lol). Bergers Are a) beautiful and b) effective. But hunt out your scent because a little bit goes a long ways with many if them."

FGS? Since when are VOCs nonsense. I have a whole lot of common sense (a Southern trait?). Common sense tells me that burning things and breathing them in (whether it be leaves, oils, perfumes or whatever) is not a healthy thing to do.

It was a heads up for those interested. There are many others who are. There's no need to be rude about it.

P.S. For those who have a bird, those types of scented products are deadly.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Spring-meadow - I always think about my little dog with stuff like that! That's why I don't use Febreze, etc.

I would imagine being around smoke would be awful for someone with asthma also.

tina

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I'm going to clarify this one more time, then I hope everyone will stop explaining why they posted as they did. Our sunporch is actually a part of the house...it is a room enclosed on two sides with windows. There is a glass sliding door into the rest of the house, which stays closed at all times unless someone is walking through it. We do not allow smoking "inside" the house...that is, that part of the house that is not the sunporch. We don't do it for the same reason non-smokers don't. It's easier to clean non-smoking areas, for one thing. We confine our smoking to the sunporch, and our guests do the same. We are trying to NOT subject our non-smoking guests to the smoke itself. The smell is here to stay...we know that.

I'm sorry if I was not as specific as I should have been, but we already know and understand most things about smoking that have been brought up...both regarding our health, how we offend others with our stinkiness, and the damage it does to furniture, etc. Now can we please move on? Does anyone know of an exhaust system that will work in a smoking room? The fan that oakley posted about will work (thanks, oakley!), but I'm open to other suggestions. I know some public places use exhaust systems, I was looking for something similar for a smaller place. For the record, the room is 16 x 20. Thanks in advance.

• chris11895
    13 years ago

Willowdee - forgive me if this has already been answered, I haven't read through all of the posts.... Does the room have central a/c or forced hot air vented through it? If so, I'd call an HVAC company and see if they can recommend something. I mentioned wanting an air purifier and humidity control in our new build and the HVAC guy said they have all sorts of add-on systems for things like that. An air purifying system may have controls specifically for smoking, etc., so you may just want to make a few calls and see what you can find. HTH!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

I believe you already said this room has it's own HVAC system - if so, chris11895 has a good idea. Perhaps another possibility is a simple exhaust fan. Even if this porch has a room above it, a ceiling exhaust fan - just like those used in a bathroom - can be easily installed and vented to the outside. They can move a tremendous amount of air but I'm not sure if one would be adequate for that size room. There are specific measurements of room size and air - an installer would be able to determine what you need. And they are whisper quiet, unlike most window fans

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

well you are the one on high defense complaining about anti smoking and harping about "stinkiness" when no one was really making anything of it. Except maybe dlm who was freaking cause there might still be a lot of smoking going on down south with all those tobacco fields ; ) Seriously, it's a discussion forum, not a quiz. Follow the instructions. Submit all responses to me. One correct answer. Geez.

I'm going to withold my answer because it will probably be wrong and not meet with your approval. I will also take note of your user id and keep out! I think I need to put a smiley face here? : )

• greatgollymolly
    13 years ago

I haven't read all the posts, but have you the ceiling and framework to install a bathroom exhaust fan? That would remove the smoke. Make sure to get one that is large enough to handle the area.

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Spring...you speak like someone without a knowledge of chemicals so indulge me please as I explain vocs. Vocs are in their most basic sense vapors or chemicals which have scent which enter the air. Chemicals you can breath basically.

Mint is a great Voc...can you smell your tooth paste or mouthwash? If you can you're breathing in vocs. Can you smell the pine tree in your yard? Vocs baby....volital organic compounds. On fire or in the general air in their own vocs are a part of our world. Some should be of concern and some are not. Do you run out if your home screaming if dh throws a sprig of oregano in the BBQ? That smell is a voc.

Mineral spirits without ordor have no Voc but they cause cancer. Orange oil is full of vocs but won't hurt you. It's not the voc level that we need to care about but the toxic level. Lecture all you want on toxicity and I'll pay attention but throw out misunderstood Acronyms like VOC and I'll counter that you are just talking smelly poop. :).

For those who don't know how a Berger lamp works,,,,you burn it for mins. If you forget it, it will burn out as Lisa mentions but you will also notice that the smell is overwhelming at that point. They put out an overwhelming level of scent (lol or vocs) quite quickly. I've never forgotten to turn one off within a few mins. Their chemical compound is strong enough that they basically replace scent if that makes sense. :). I myself like spicer scents. I'll have to go read the bottle but I think it's something like an apple clove scent (I got it in France so the scent might not be available here).

I'm gonna go light a voc stick (candle) and lick some paint banned in California.....see y'all soon :p

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone, I have done more research and am thinking my best and probably only solution is to install bathroom type exhaust fans, and to use the box fan in the open window method. Dim, thanks for that suggestion...I had thought of it but our bathroom exhaust fan is loud! But it's also old, I didn't realize they were making them quieter these days.

I appreciate the helpful responses. Happy St. Pat's Day, everyone!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I live in the South and only know one person who smokes inside her home. The home is an absolutely magnificent amalgam of Victorian and Greek Revival that has been restored beautifully. The only place she smokes indoors is at one table next to a window in the kitchen, immediately next to one of those reversed window fans. The home never smells of smoke, even though it has very elaborate, original, wood paneling throughout the ground floor, stairs, landings, and certain upstairs areas, as well as curtains and virtually all museum quality furniture, some of which was built for the house when it was built. In other words, many items in the house could absorb years of odors, but they don't and the house smells good.

• spring-meadow
    13 years ago

igloo, taking things out of context makes for meaningless and pointless conversation. You're not making sense. Blow it over to the EPA and state of California. Maybe you can convince them to redefine and regulate the word VOC for you. As it stands, VOC is the term. And the product was banned.

So now, let me weigh this. On the one hand, EPA, NIH, and the State of California. On the other, igloochic on the internet. Hmmm. That really is tough to figure out who knows what they hey they're talking about.

On the lamp, maybe you could provide a scientific study showing that this product actually cleans the air rather than contributes to its pollution. I would think CA would be asking everyone to light up a Bergere, not ban it, if that were, in fact, the case. Then again, since they don't have scientists on board who actually know what they're doing, that's just silly.

'
    On June 2, 2008, a case was settled with Lampe Berger USA, Inc. for selling non-compliant air fresheners known as Fragrance Fuel. The Consumer Products Regulation specifies that no person shall sell, supply, offer for sale or manufacture for sale in California any air fresheners or liquid/pump sprays that exceed the 18 percent-by-weight VOC limit (effective January 1, 1993). Lampe Berger USA, Inc. paid $29,000 to settle the case.
    '

Also remember that there's the cumulative effect of VOCs to be concerned about not simply what's emitted from one particular source. For those who are interested of course! Everyone is free to do as they please and view as fit for their own family's health and conditions.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html

• busybee3
    13 years ago

been avoiding this, but when bathroom exhaust fans came up i thought i'd contribute!...

willowdee, i also think your best bet for your guests comfort and health would be to install ventilation...and bathroom fans can be very quiet these days! look into the braun/nutone fans that simply look like recessed lights...they're VERY effective in our master bath at eliminating steam---i would think that they would also effective for smoke. very quiet and what's best is they don't look like fans(installing several would look fine!) and they are inexpensive!

not sure what the whole spout above about toothpaste odor, etc was about...pretty irrelevant to the concern about indoor contaminants! thanks springmeadow for worthwhile VOC info and for providing a legimate link to support your words!!! and, fwiw, VOCs can be odorless!

• francienolan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kitchendetective, your friends home sounds fabulous! I wish we'd always been as careful as she is about smoking. If we had the furnishings, etc. that she has, we probably would have been!

busybee, thank you for your post. I've ordered a really good window fan, and am researching bathroom exhaust fans, but I'll have to run that idea by my husband. I'll check out the braun/nutone ones, thanks for the heads up!

I don't have a clue what a VOC is, so I won't comment on that. I don't think I have the brain power right now. Signs of old age, I guess. LOL

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and used to get bronchitis all the time from second hand smoke despite never smoking myself. At my last job (I left to be self-employed and it was not to make more money but for my health), my boss was a chain smoker and I would lose my voice each day and not function as well at work. I was tested and I am allergic to cigarette smoke as well as it being very bad for my lungs. A few jobs before this job, I was asked how many packs of cigarettes I smoked, and I said I never tried a cigarette. That is how bad my lungs had become from being around second hand smoke. Now that I have been self-employed for over 20 years with NO smoking allowed around me or in my home, I have clear lungs and do not get so sick anymore.

I order rescue animal calendars each year from a talented person and love them each year. This year, I ordered a few for gifts and myself and they reeked of cigarette smoke! I had thought the new people at the post office were smoking around the mail but then I found out from her that she retired and started to smoke more. I had to air out the calendars for 2 months in my garage before being able to use them despite them being in envelopes since my nose would turn red and I would feel sick if I hung them up. I had to give other holiday gifts and late calendar gifts when they were aired out.

I once hired a part-time worker who was so allergic to fragrance that if I spayed my hair with hair spray she would get flue like symptoms and feel like she was dying just like I get from being around cigarette smoke (as well as post nasal drip and coughing). I had to wash my hair again one day when I accidentally forgot she was coming over. That must be so difficult to have an allergy to fragrance but I know lately I am getting also sensitive to strong fragrance smells and I start to cough so I am finally understand what that is like.

For those that smoke, I understand it is your home but I can't visit those that have homes that do not have a separate smoking room or I get sick. I can't drive with friends that have cars that smell like smoke or I get sick and must wash my hair the minute I get home.

I wish there was some way that cigarettes would not smell. Sorry to offend but just my point of view. It was not fair to me to have to live around 2nd hand smoke when I could not breath and my dad would get mad at me for complaining and think I was trying to get attention when I was coughing from post nasal drip but when he got congestive heart failure and coughed all the time, I never picked on him. If I was a smoker with my bad allergies, I would have been dead like my smoking friend who died at age 50 from Emphysema. Some people can't handle the cigarette's poisons as well as other people can. We are all built differently.

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I am a former smoker and allow smoking on my patio but not in my house. I do have a few friends that smoke. One friend I've had for years and she never smokes in her house, her husband is a former smoker.

Another couple are recent friends (about 2 years) and they both smoke. They also smoke in their house even if we are there. I don't spend much time there and I just deal with it when I am. It bothers me a little but I don't think as much as most people.

However, he smokes in his car. I've asked that he not if we are in it. He stopped for a while but started again. I just roll my window down all the way and it kind of gets the message across. We try to do the driving most of the time.

Restaurants in my city still have smoking areas (usually the bar area), you can smoke in bars and in the bowling alley in the evening only. But many cities around don't allow any smoking. I wish my city didn't. I'm in the Dallas suburbs.

• User
    12 years ago

...And the word is "volatile," if anyone is even interested at this point! :)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

One reason people may consider not allowing smoking in their homes is it affect on the value of the home. I am a real estate agent, and I do not care how carefully or how infrequently people smoke, it is noticeable to outsiders when they come in your house. You may be able to get away with it a little if it is open window weather, but it does show. I have had buyers who were smokers turn down houses that smelled of smoke. Smell is a bigger offense to more people than ugly decor IMHO. YMMV

As for people pooh poohing the non-smokers, a good friend of mine got diagnosed in her early 40s with emphysema and was on an oxygen tank within 2 years. She never touched a cigarette but her husband and parents smoked.

I suffered from chronic bronchitis and frequent strep throat when I was briefly a smoker (approx 2 years) and for years afterward until the smoking in public places rules went into effect.
    A host who does not smoke in their own home is doing themselves a favor as well as their guests.
    Of course, not smoking would be really helping their own health (as well as saving some real dough), but I know that comment will be seen as attacking smokers... sigh.....

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

the EPA has it's agenda - and it isn't all for our health...

some people don't like the smell of smoke - and have trouble breathing around it. OTOH, some people don't like the smell of perfumes, candles, detergents (yep, the smell of it is in your clothes), other cleaners - it often causes them to have trouble breathing (like me) - and those chemicals aren't exactly healthy either. where's the EPA there? alcohol stinks too - and is a lot of chemicals.

i've found that non smokers feel the right to be rude about it while the others usually don't.

willow - many thx to your dh - and God bless him. I hope the bathroom type fans work for your situation. I've read that the panasonic whisper one is very quiet (bathroom forum).

as for smoking room / parlors - my sister has an atrium off of the center of her home - that's where her spa is and it was designed there to be a smoking area also. It's actually enclosed on all sides with an open roof. the outer wall is a sliding glass door so they can also open that for air circulation if they want to. I think she smokes more on her front porch tho - or the side or back porch.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Fancy houses would have a pair of drawing rooms, a mens and ladies; the masculine one was generally understood to be the smoking room. That's the old tradition, in case any one is still interested. They would be used after dinner when brandy and cigars were served.
    So FF to now. We redid a basement for a couple (a work project) where they really wanted a man-cave. We put in a really high capacity panasonic vent fan with two inlets. One over his easy chair, the other over the poker table. The walls are upholstered in places with a RL wool fabric.
    It was completed in late 06, and when I was back at the house last week for another project, I checked in on the basement. It smells exactly the same as when brand new. I can still smell the fabric and leather, no tobacco odor left from the weekly poker nights. So some fans work as intended.
    Casey

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Desertsteph, EPA does regulate all chemicals. The people there who are not political appointees are honestly quite dedicated to making our lives safer and healthier.

• User
    12 years ago

I think true "smoking parlors" went the way of "opium dens" and the "coke" in CocaCola. Bars for imbibers seem to still flourish, whether retail or in home. Who knows what the future holds for "minor medical facilities" for the legalized bud. Social mores change over time and the only thing we really know is that Prohibition didn't work. Advertising did. Both to sell the cigs in the beginning and to sell the quitting of them now. And it's working on mary jane as well. So, do people design a "dispensary" into future homes? Maybe...