SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlamp_gw

Anyone stopped smoking after years of smoking?

eileenlamp
15 years ago

I need, for medical reasons, to stop smoking. I know this is the right thing to do, of course, but it's scary. Since I was 17 yrs old, everything I've done has been focused around smoking. How do you stop? Does anyone have a plan or advise? I even think of an upcoming cruise and wonder how I'll enjoy the balcony without a cigarette. Isn't that crazy...but true. Any adivce out there?

Eileen

Comments (38)

• sandra_maine
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes it is possible to stop smoking after years of smoking.I smoked for 35 years and can proudly say I have been smoke free for over 7 years now.My husband quit at the same time after as many years of smoking.WE used Welbutrin or however it is spelled.Also my mother died 8 years ago of lung cancer.It gets easier as days go bye.It helped haven't support from each other.Good luck

• wantoretire_did
    15 years ago

We quit 5 years ago. DH (who was 76 at the time) used Welbutrin -I toughed it out as I had quit twice before: for 15 years, then another time for 5 years, and had been smoking again for 12 years. There were several catalysts that came together: DHs doctor said he wouldn't continue to treat him if he didn't stop, we were both really feeling that it had caught up to us - labored breathing, no energy, etc., but the real kicker was when I pointed out to him how much $$ we were spending a month. He said OMG,that's a car payment!!

For about 8 months after we quit, we put that money into a savings account. You don't even want to know what we figured we had spent in the past or what we calculate we've saved since quitting (at 2003 prices). Or the first time I washed windows that had no brown coating on them - ditto with the white cotton curtains. Quitting also reversed my osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis) substantially. Shall I go on????

Do it - chew gum, eat almonds or some carrots for the crunch. Good luck - you won't be sorry.

• Related Discussions

White smoke vs black smoke

Q

Comments (7)
    Keep in mind that there are two variants of white smoke. One of them being steam - it being fairly easy to detect as it dissipates into the air rather quickly. As opposed to the white/slightly blueish smoke which will sort of drift away with the wind. A few of the engines I have will cough up a bit of white/blue smoke on start up. But does not last, I see no oil loss, and I detect no foul smelling fumes... I would say keep your eyes on the situation - if your not burning any significant amounts of oil then your in good shape. Remember - some oil is creeping past the valve guides and the rings is a normal thing - and this will be seen on the next startup - especially if the motor has sat a few days. I can also say that on one of my machines - I was able to detect that it smoked more when I parked it facing downhill. I guess the bulk of the oil settled in a certain location.
    ...See More

My baking stone won't stop smoking!

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for your questions. I have read and reread the dos and donts about care of the stone so I did not use soap. Also, I did use cornmeal when I baked the pesto pizza when I used the stone for the first time. When I baked the bread (three loaves) I used parchment paper on a baking sheet and placed on the stone. It seemed like a little much to me but I went by the bread book instructions. When you suggested that something else may be going on maybe that is the something else. I will say that pesto pizza did have a lot of oil but that should not haved smoked for long I wouldn't think. If anyone has an idea about this I would appreciate hearing. In the meanwhile, I will leave the stone in the oven the next time I use to see if it smokes without the baking pan with parchment paper on it. Thanks again, Bev
    ...See More

Help: how to remove years of smoke/cigarette smell from wood?

Q

Comments (10)
    >Will mineral spirits take any of the finish off the wood? Generally no. It will dissolve waxes. It can also dissolve Gilsonite, a tar-like substance that is sometimes used as a stain, but usually that's sealed in with a finish. In the tens of thousands of pieces I've worked on, only one had any reaction to mineral spirits. It was a rustic black piece, probably from Mexico, and mineral spirits pulled off some color. Not enough to effect it, but I stopped there. It was restoration from a fire, so it may have been smoke or some of the colorant. Varnishes, though thinned with mineral spirits, cure by polymerization and mineral spirits is not a solvent for them, it's a thinner. Big difference. (In the odd world of finish terminology, though, Lacquer Thinner is the solvent for lacquer. Because part of it is alcohol, it will also dissolve shellac.) But the real test is to try it out on an obscure place.
    ...See More

stop smoking aids???

Q

Comments (13)
    Unfortunately, the most important element in quitting smoking is the desire of the smoker to quit. If that's not there, hardly anything will work. I tried the gum, patches, hypnosis. You name it I tried it. I finally got to the point that I wanted to quit badly enough that I quit cold turkey. Some people (almost everyone) finds a substitute to help them thru. My crutch was toothpicks. I spent at least 4 months chewing on toothpicks and apologising to strangers for having a toothpick in my mouth all the time. The desire for nicotine goes away pretty quickly. It's the habit of taking out the pack, shaking out the cigarette, getting the match or lighter, lighting the cigarette. Those are the things that are difficult to quit. It's the busy work with your hands that you miss the most. I spent at least a year, maybe more, reaching for that cigarette after giving up the toothpicks. Other people suck on hard candies, but the idea is the same. I believe that tobacco is more addictive than crack cocaine. (I, of course, have never tried it, but I quarantee nothing can be as bad as cigarettes.) I quit for the last time in February 1993 and it was well worth it. For the first year I did not put myself in positions where I would want a cigarette. No happy hour with the office gang. No coffee in the morning. Limited contact with friends and family who smoked unless they agreed not to smoke around me. Harsh? Not when you realize that this is your life your talking about. If they love you they will respect your wishes. After about a year, I could begin to add these things back into my life without feeling tempted. It IS worth it.
    ...See More
  • wanda_va
    15 years ago

I was highly addicted to ciggies--and I loved them. When I decided to quit, I used the patch for one week, then I used the Nicotrol Inhaler. The inhaler is great because it's something to do with your hands, you are still "inhaling", and you get a small amount of nicotine. I used the inhaler for at least a month; then for several months I used the empty inhaler (without the nicotine cartridge) as my "security". I still carry an empty inhaler in my car, even though I haven't touched it for years.

I quit on 2/2/05, so it's going on 4 years for me. I still miss them occasionally, but I'm not "suffering" anymore. It's very hard to quit, but the benefits are worth it.

I strongly recommend the inhaler!!!!! It's expensive, but cheaper than cigarettes.

I quit for the sake of my health, but it certainly hasn't saved me any money. I treat myself to a nice "non-smoking gift" on the second day of each month. DH jokingly says cigarettes would be cheaper than my gifts!

Good Luck to you, and there are many here who will support you when you need it.

• debnfla8b
    15 years ago

Next month will be 10 years since I smoked that last ciggie. I had turned 40 and was just tired of the short breath. I also had noticed that each time I smoked a cigarette it burned my tongue. I immediately was worried about oral cancer and finally quit. It was on Veteran's Day....and I cried for 2 solid weeks. I had lost my best friend, or that is how it felt. It was hard, I did it cold turkey but, I would not smoke again for any amount of money. My Mother has advanced Emphysema and COPD....she is still sneaking around smoking, it just breaks my heart.

I started walking and with every step I said to myself..."I can do this, just breath". I drank lots of water and ruby red grapefruit juice...LOL I was determined to beat the cigarettes...and I did.

Oh yes, that burning tongue? Turned out to be from eating too many tomato's!! LOL

Deb :o))

(you can do this!!!)

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

I quit about 5 years ago...but if you need help in quitting, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the cat scan that shows the cancer in my lung....It's pretty nasty looking or I could share the details of my surgery and chemo..and my story is shared by thousands and thousands of people out there in the world.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Lung Cancer

• kathy_
    15 years ago

Ruthie, you are lucky to be here telling your story.
    My uncle quit at age 55, too late.
    Hubby quit when we met and he had smoked 13 years. He was a bear for a while. He has asthma so I really think he would be dead today had he not stopped. Just celebrated our 25th anniversary.
    Yes it is hard, but do it anyway.

• alisande
    15 years ago

I think the cruise might help you. I was younger when I quit (28), but I had smoked pretty heavily starting when I was 14. I wasn't very motivated to quit, but my DH insisted as he had quit.

The reason I think the cruise will help is that I quit cold turkey while accompanying my DH on a business trip to another state. It was one awful week, but I really think it helped to be away from my smoking places, smoking activities, and smoking buddies. At the end of the week I knew I'd never smoke again because I never wanted to go through that again. It's a wonder we didn't get divorced.

It took quite a while to lose the urge to smoke, and much longer than that to stop dreaming about smoking. After quitting, I dreamed about cigarettes for 17 years!

Back then, cigarettes didn't cost so much, so I didn't notice the financial gain. But you will. Think about that on the balcony. :-)

It was, without a doubt, the best thing I ever did for myself, other than having my children. You can do it!!

Susan

• satine_gw
    15 years ago

Eileen, my husband and I had both smoked from about the age of 17 or so when at the age of 34 my husband had a heart attack. We had two children at the time ages 8 and 4. I continued to smoke while he was in the hospital and they day he was discharged I put out my last cig., washed the ashtrays and went to the hospital to pick him up. I suffered for about two weeks with stomach cramps, nausea, headaches but knew that if I smoked he would. We not only had to quit smoking but start a pretty restrictive diet and excersize program. My point is that it can be done and now there are so many aides to help you along the way. Good luck. Satine

• dotmom
    15 years ago

December, it will be two years for DH. He had smoked for 63 years. he used the patch and a couple pills to help with anxiety. (what DS called Daddy downers) I am so thankful because I don't have to live in my bedroom to try to get away from second-hand smoke. The apt smells nicer and things don't get a yellow film on them. He said food tastes better, although the damage to his lungs is irreversible, at least it won't get worse. Also, he was getting pneumonia a couple times a year, he hasn't had any bouts with it since he stopped smoking.

Good luck, Eileen with this new endeavor in your life. Please keep your friends here at the KT posted. We really, really care. Dottie

• monica_pa Grieves
    15 years ago

I smoked for over 30 years, smoked 3 packs a day.
    I quit, cold turkey over 15 years ago. Never had a single cigarette since. I just woke up one morning and said "this is it".

Now....I know not everyone can do this. Why?
    Because nicotine, like alcohol, is a drug that can be addictive.

I was lucky. i was not addicted to nicotine, it was just a long-term habit that I liked.

If you are addicted, if you just must have that cigarette, even if you are sick or congested with a horrible head cold, or in a place where you can't have it....you may be addicted.
    If so, you need to treat smoking cessation just like alcohol or any other drug addiction.
    Stay away from places and people where smoking is allowed.
    Don't keep cigarettes in your office, house or car.
    Try to find a smokers anonymous group.

And,...good luck !

• bigbaby
    15 years ago

A lot of wisdom here already but I'll throw in my two cents as well. My story is a lot like Debn's. I virtually smoked my whole life because both of my parents smoked while I was growing up. (They never linked that to me being sick all winter!) I started myself in the 9th grade. I quit when I was 33 years old and cried my eyes out. I was really confused and fuzzy-headed for days. The commitment is important. I decided I wouldn't smoke NO MATTER WHAT. I made quitting my number 1 priority, set a date and stuck to it. I was getting pneumonia regularly and my doc said that things were only going to get worse (I was only in my 30's!). Cigs were my very best friend and I grieved their loss, but I haven't smoked since then. I'm 52 now and my kids and hubby don't have to breathe in second hand smoke like I did. Plus, my Mom now had end stage COPD and my grandfather died from it. My kids don't have to watch that, either.

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Good luck, Eileen. As hard as it is to quit, you can do it. A lot of us have.

Maybe getting mad at the cig. manufacturers will help: They need your addiction to make money, and do everything they can to "hook" you, knowing full well that they are selling a lethal, legal product! They know exactly what they are doing, and do it heartlessly and without regard to our health and well-being. Without our addictions, they are out of business.

Quitting is awfully hard, but it is doable. Get mad and get started. Do whatever it takes to keep going - put the money you save in a jar and count it often, enjoy looking at your clean windows and walls, enjoy the clean smell of your hair and clothes, chew gum, eat jelly beans, don't fret about a few pounds, etc.

Just do it!

Sherry

• lynn_d
    15 years ago

I started smoking when I was 18, I am now 55 and quite one year ago on October 22.....my mom's birthday. I smoked 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day, hubby quit about the same, he quit at the same time. We used Chantix and it worked perfectly for us tho I know others who have had a challenge with it. We were determined, this was it, we were quitting.

It was easier than without the pills, but now every once in a while that desire hits. But the fear of being addicted to it once again is too frightening to give in.

• Linda Wayman
    15 years ago

I was never a smoker, but dh smoked 2 to 3 pack a day from his teens to his mid fifties. His mother died from Emphazema. Her last day on earth was spent at the hospital on oxygen begging for one more cigarette. Bob quit that day. He said he didn't want to live that way or die that way. That was 1993. He was fortunate to be able to quit cold turkey, but before smoking was banned in most places whenever we went to a restaurant he would walk over to the smoking section to just inhale a whiff.
    Linda

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

You can do it! I was a heavy smoker for 41 years, but quit 22 years ago. I did use a prescription Nicorette, but only for about two weeks. I think it helped that a friend announced to everyone that I had quit. I could not believe that the walls and curtains were no longer yellow so often! Good luck in your stopping.

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Eileen - good advise from everyone, but may I add one small piece of advise. You are quitting because YOU want to? You can't quit because everyone else around you want you to quit - YOU have to want to quit. ...and if it doesn't work this time, I may the next time. My DD quit with the use of a hypnotist - she quit two years ago and she csn always go back if it is needed... My husband quit 5 years ago today! I quit almost 15 years ago. You have our support and prayers too...

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

I quit 10 years ago after smoking for 20 years. I went to a hypnotist and never smoked again (not that I didn't want to!). I will say it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I'm so glad to be free of that habit.

Last year I went through a rough time with my thyroid and was craving cigarettes for some reason. I bought a few packs of nicotine-free herbal cigarettes and they got me through it without resorting to regular cigarettes and getting hooked again. Take a pack of these with you on the cruise. I got mine from eBay.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smoking Joes

• williamsburgjane
    15 years ago

I quit 11 years ago after smoking for about 35 years. I used the patch (First Step or something close to that). Its not the easiest thing to do but you will realize all the benefits after you quit.

• littlebit_gw
    15 years ago

Guess I am the baby here as far as time off of cigs....

I had smoked for 22 years off and on...mostly on..Quit both times I was preg and for several months after they were both born.

Jan 01, 2008 we were at a party,

It was sometime after midnight, when I asked DH for a cig...Quitting smoking wasn't even on my mind. I had no desire to quit. That cig tasted funny, I smoked about half of it and gave it back to DH. About 30 minutes or so later, I asked for another before we left. (I didn't smoke in my car). I smoked about half of it and put it out also.

Never picked up another one..MY first couple of days I was an WITCH..mean hateful snotty my children were begging me to smoke...

I kept sunflower seeds on hand and other hard candy. I literally would go thru bags of the seeds. Before the school break, a friend had made me some glass candy but we kept missing each other. I got that when we went back, I kept a bag in the car, by the computer desk and anywhere else I was used to smoking.

I knew what I had gone thru by quitting so my thoughts was "Why would I want to pick up a cig and have to go thru all that again if I decide to quit again?" No way would I ever want to go thru that again!!

That has helped me stay off of them.

My DH ended up quitting also. I can be around someone smoking and it doesn't bother me at all. Someone above mentioned dreams..right after I stopped I dreamed I smoked one and it was so real I honestly thought I had when I woke up.

Good Luck.. Its not easy but you will be so glad that you have conquered that monster...

littlebit

• maddielee
    15 years ago

Yep! I smoked for over 20 years. Quit about 12 years ago. I just stopped. Cold turkey.

It wasn't easy, but it was worth it.

You can do it!

• cream_please
    15 years ago

In the summer of 1973 I was a young woman with a pack to a pack and a half a day smoking habit.
    God, by His Holy Spirit was wooing me to come to Him, and I didn't want to be a smoker as a Christian.
    That entire summer I fought and wrestled with this horrible addiction. I would go to the store with the express intent of buying cigarettes, get to the checkout and plead with God to help me not to.
    Finally, the craving defeated me.
    In November of that same year, I was reading a book by the author Hal Linsey, "The Late, Great Planet Earth." It talks about the second return of Jesus Christ.
    Something came over me and I realized if Christ came right then and there I didn't want Him to find me smoking.
    I cried out for help, took two new packs of Kent over to the kitchen sink, tore open the tops and ran water over the cigarettes.
    Within three days every bit of craving had totally, completely and permanently left my body, mind and soul. I have not smoked in 35 years and give all the credit and praise to Jesus Christ.
    cream

• irishdancersgram
    15 years ago

Congrats to all you non smokers...I had friends that had been chair smokers for many, many years and with health problems coming more and more, decided to quit...They went to a smoker's clinic and had their ears "zapped"...That's exactly what she told me..She said, sometimes, this treatment doesn't work the 1st time but with them, it was great...Both smoke free for probably 10 years now....
    I've never smoked and found it hard to think you can be so addicted, but hearing everyone talk about it, I really, really have to give you people credit for quilting....

• dollydolots
    15 years ago

I was a very heavy smoker for 40 years. I quit cold turkey
    23 years ago and never looked back.
    Dolly

• nycefarm_gw
    15 years ago

Smoked for over twenty years, off and on. You must really want to do it. The more committed you are the more successful you will be. I tired hypnosis once and was astounded at how well it worked, no withdrawal, nothing. So of course I thought after a year I could smoke occasionally. Not so. You are a puff away from a pack a day. Quit a couple more times, the last time was around 2001, after my mother died from lung cancer (she was a former smoker).
    My prime reason for quitting was that I was so conditioned to smoking that it was ruling my life. I would decide things in my life based on the addiction. Didn't got to movies because I would crave the cigs during the movie. I would remove myself from social gatherings so that I could smoke, only to realize that I was standing outside alone, freezing my buns off (in Winter) and all because that noxious habit was ruling my life. It was starting to affect my health and stealing whatever energy I had. Even just the amount of time I thought about smoking, making sure I had cigs, making sure I had money to buy them, making sure I knew where to buy them.
    It was never easy, but the last time I quit, I used Wellbutrin, only to discover that it helped me in so many other ways!
    Please decide to do it! Life is already too short to be worrying about where the next nicotine fix is coming from.
    Good luck!

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

I quit lst year, the week of Thanksgiving. I had smoked for about 20 years and I loved smoking. Seriously, I did not just smoke - I really, really, loved to smoke.

I took Chantix and it really did help me. The first few weeks I took the prescribed dosage then, I cut the dosage down and did not even fill the third month because I had so much left. I know some people have experienced bad side effects, but besides some stomach upset at the beginning, and tender gums at the end, I was pretty side effect free.
    Even with the Chantix, it was hard and if I thought I could have a cig every once in while, I would - but I know better. Maybe when I'm in my 90's!

It is so nice not to worry about it anymore - no smell, no mess, no expense, no panic at the thought of running out.
    Good luck to you. If you really want it, you can do it.

• cynic
    15 years ago

It's been over 15 years since I quit. At one point I was over 5 packs a day. I chain smoked and I smoked them down to the filter, they didn't sit in an ashtray with me. I liked the taste of a good menthol cigarette.

I had thought about quitting several times, thought I should. yadda yadda. And of course with that philosophy I didn't quit. A friend was hounded to quit and he had the patch, the pin in the ear, etc. And of course he didn't quit.

However, I decided I couldnt' take managing the convenience stores anymore and figured out a budget and a savings goal I needed to hit to quit the job without panic. I knew I wouldn't get the discounts on smokes through the reps after I quit so smoking would be retail price or not. For me, that was it, I decided it was time to quit. Period.

Did I want a cigarette after I quit? Yes. But did that mean I was "addicted"? Of course not. When I'd get into the truck, or go out to work in the garage or something, I felt myself reaching into my pocket. Then I realized it was a habit, not addiction.

Oh, and my buddy had a stroke a few years after I quit and that scared him into quitting. He's been smoke free since.

This may sound cold, but the simple fact is you WILL NOT quit until you decide YOU WANT TO QUIT. You won't quit because someone nags you. And patches, pills and pins are not very effective. The mind is far more powerful. You decide you want to smoke, you will smoke. You decide you want to quit, YOU WILL QUIT! I have seen it over and over.

My ex GF quit more times than I can count. The last time it was definite. (Yeah right) And of course when I saw her again with a cigarette in her hand I said I thought you quit. Then came the oh with everything with Tom I had to start again... I said well, I told you before you don't want to so you won't and you didn't. She admitted that she didn't WANT to quit but she thought she could be "forced" into quitting. This isn't an I told you so just a statement of fact. Until you find the reason to quit that's stronger than the reason to smoke, you'll smoke. Each person is different. But it's mind over matter.

I could very easily pick up a cigarette today, but I don't have any desire to. I'm sure I'd still enjoy the taste, but I am satisfied without it. Just like a diabetic might want a piece of fudge, they know they shouldn't have it. That doesn't mean they're addicted to it.

All too many people need the crutch of the term "addiction". They can't accept the responisbility that they make up their mind.

I wish you great success on your choice. I hope you decide that you want to quit. You'll be successful if you do, I'm sure.

Now there's a couple other things that may help. You are apprehensive. Don't be. Again, it's a decision. But to prove to yourself, decide that you will not carry cigarettes on you for a day or two. You have to get up to get one. Especially when you're really comfortable. Then decide you won't smoke somewhere. Perhaps you won't smoke inside? In the vehicle? Do that for a few days or a week. Now, when you're not smoking inside or in the vehicle, do you really want it that bad? I'll bet you don't. Especially if you truly decide you will not be smoking on that cruise. Then pat yourself on the back for doing what you decided. Each success is further proof of your strong will. Then you'll decide when to say, "that's it", an no more smoking.

Often people smoke in stressful situations. Is that you? Well, eliminate the stress. I did by quitting my job. It brought on some stress financially but I knew that when I was home I was happier. Then I decided what to do from then on and there was no problem. Certainly I have stress in my life, but I don't need a habit to deal with it.

Good luck. Keep us posted. We're rooting for you!

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Eileen, I haven't read the above posts. That said, DH quit six years ago, after smoking at least 2 packs a day, since he was sixteen or seventeen. His parents EACH smoked at least three packs a day, so he has been well exposed to smoke. He quit by using the Zyban pills from his dr. For the first week, you may still smoke, after that you can't have anymore. The kids were supposed to go back to school on Jan 4 from Christmas break. We had a blizzard and they had another two days off! He still did it. That was the day he picked and he stuck to it. He is still smoke free. You can do it if you make the decision. We'll help!

Tami

• mornie_nm
    15 years ago

I just wanted to quickly say my experience was different. I quit for my grandchildren mainly. Didn't really want to and had experienced no health problems from it. I was definitely addicted - had smoked from 16 years old until I was 57 and had tried many times to quit when it would have been important to do so and I was unable to do it, like pregnancies etc. When I finally did quit after 41 years I was up to 3 packs a day. Anyway despite all the reasons why I should not have succeeded I did quit. Used Nicoderm CQ and followed the directions exactly - using the first patch for 6 weeks instead of 2 because I was a heavy smoker and then doing the rest of the patches in order. Never wanted to smoke again although I vaguely remember wanting one while still wearing the patch. Like the others I have dreamed about smoking and woke up feeling shocked and guilty it was so real. If I could do it under these circumstances anyone can. Lots of good thoughts for you and go into it determined you can do anything you want to do.

• teresava
    15 years ago

My MIL smoked for nearly 30 years. She tried the patch and gum, but nothing worked until she took Chantix. She hasn't smoked in 2 years now! Major accomplishment!! She breathes so much better, no wheezing and coughing and doesn't get brochitis like she did EVERY year!

My friend smoked for 15 years and quit cold turkey one day. She was fine for a week then literally went "crazy". She said the withdrawl was so bad she went to the doctor who prescribed her Wellbutrin. He said your body goes into shock after being used to it for so long. She felt better almost instantly!

Whatever method you try-Good luck, Eileen!!

• Marcia Thornley
    15 years ago

I smoked for 36 years! It has now been almost 2 years since I had a cigarette. DH put them away 7 weeks ago and is doing very well. We both used the patch. I used it for about 8 weeks.
    It was much easier than I ever anticipated it would be.
    Give it a try.
    Prepare for it.
    Don't quit anything. Make a choice not to smoke again.
    Use whatever aid you think is best for you.
    Set a goal for the $ you will save!
    Best decision I ever made!!!

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I quit years ago after being a smoker for 15 years with the help of hypnosis. I understand Chantix is a great drug for those who really want to quit. Good luck.

• sjarz
    15 years ago

I am just waiting for my doctor's appointment so I can get a Chantix prescription myself, have been debating the quitting for quite a while now, know a few people that have had great success with Chantix.
    Cynic, your comments really resonated with me, in the past I have quit for a few weeks, a couple of months, then some disaster occurs and I use that as an excuse to start smoking again.
    I have reached the point where it disgusts me that I smoke and I want to change it. I am determined that this time I will become an unsmoker, as my girlfriend called it..
    Eileen, you can do it! Have faith, ask God to help you, set your resolve and go for it.
    If you want to set up a chat for those of us that are going to kick this thing, I'd be in. Anyone else going through the "it's time" talk with themselves?
    Suzan J

• fakename2
    15 years ago

I have been a lurker here forever...never posted. I know how hard it is to quit smoking.
    I smoke for over 20 years about 2 1/2packs a day. I quit 5 years ago. I had tried to quit several times but always went back.
    I quit by picking a date.I told myself that it was going to be hard but every day would be easier. I also read that when you quit smoking your body is over the withdraw from nicotine 48-72 hours after you last smoke. I told myself the first 3 days would be the hardest and after the 3 days it is all a mind game. I really believe that is what help me stop smoking is knowing that my body did not need the nicotine, that it was my mind. i did take a mini vaction from work, some people say they get very tired from not smoking....
    The first 6 months are hard....you will give yourself every excuse to smoke again...it has been 5 years and once in great while i will still get the urge to smoke...I know I cannot smoke or even try to smoke...because I will be right back where I was. I wish you the best of luck

• Zipper_TX
    15 years ago

Yes, DH and I quit smoking a year and a half ago, and we'd been smoking for over 37 years, (that's how long we've been married ;0) )

We quit at the same time and we used Chantix it really does work, but you have to want to quit or nothing will work.

Hope that helps ;0)

Good Luck and Hugs!!

• susanjf_gw
    15 years ago

dh gave us the best christmas gift back in 1985, when he had his last smoke. not only did he have the support of myself and the children, he had friends at work who were willing to help in the process.

he did have one piece of the then only aid, gum, but that was worse than smoking for him, lol...it was his inner strenth that was the most important...

our ds1 and dil both were smokers (boy did he go to great lenths to hide THAT from me) but they also know for the sake of future children, both quit the day he graduated from college...they now have 2 darling dds...

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

I smoked for about 33 years. Was up to 3 packs a day.
    I did what Wanda did...
    NICOTROL INHALER
    JoanMN

• eileenlamp
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Everyone. You've all given me lots to think about. I see the Dr. the end of next week, and from all your experience, I will ask for medication to help with this. I thought I could try to do it cold turkey, but I don't want to fail and I think that the medicine will give me just the "help" I will need.
    Yes, I really do want to quit. I've thought about it very seriously for a few months, but when I found out that I need major surgery (not smoking related) I knew I had to stop. I didn't want to have withdrawls during recovery in the hospital, didn't want to interfere with body repair after surgery, etc. So, this is the time I need to quit.
    Thank you all for your stories and support. It's helped so much! I'll keep you updated after my Dr appointment and let you know which medication she puts me on and how it works. Hopefully, I'll be able to be scheduled for this surgery soon but will be off the damn cigs for at least a few weeks.
    Thanks again.
    Eileen

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Eileen - Please let us know how you are doing. This is a very supportive group, as you can tell. You will be glad that you made this decision - there will be some tough going, but you can do it.
    I understand that smokers can have problems with anesthesia and of course tend to heal more slowly, so it is a great decision to quit prior to the surgery.
    Best of luck!