SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

St Louis Style Pizza?

caliloo
12 years ago

I was looking through Lidias (Bastianich) Italy in America cookbook today and was surprised to see the recipe for St Louis Style Pizza. It doesn't sound like anything I have ever had, but it sounds just interesting enough to want to give it a try. And with no offense meant to NY, Chicago, Philly or any other of the great pizza cities, I am NOT looking for other ideas or recipes, I am only interested in St Louis Style recipes and feedback. I find it particularly interesting that it is a non-yeast dough and the combination of cheddar, provolone and Swiss sounds like mad fun to me!

Have you had it? Does it sound like something you would try? I am going to make it tomorrow night, I jsut wondered about any CFers experience with this particular style.

Thanks

Alexa

St. Louis Pizza

Yield: 2 pizzas; 4 to 6 servings

For dough:

2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for working the dough

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

For topping:

1 (28-ounce) can whole Italian plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano

3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

6 tablespoons shredded fresh basil

5 ounces sharp white cheddar, cut into chunks

5 ounces Swiss cheese, cut into chunks

5 ounces smoked provolone, cut into chunks (see tester's note)

1. Make the dough. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flour, baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix water and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a cup. With the mixer on medium speed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Knead with the dough hook until soft and smooth, about 2 minutes.

2. Remove the dough and knead on a well-floured counter a few times, then wrap in plastic and let rest at room temperature while you make the topping.

3. Make the topping. Place a pizza stone on the bottom oven rack; preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Drain and crush the canned tomatoes, squeezing out as much juice as possible (save the juice for a future sauce or soup). Coarsely chop the tomatoes and put in a medium bowl; add crushed garlic, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let steep 10 to 15 minutes. After the garlic has steeped, discard it and stir in the basil.

4. Combine the three cheeses in a food processor, pulsing until cheeses are mixed to a crumbly paste.

5. Divide the dough in half. On a floured work surface, roll one of the halves into an 11- to 12-inch round. Put the dough on a floured pizza peel or on the back of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

6. Spread with half the sauce, all the way to the edges of the dough. Top with half the cheese. Slide the pizza off the pizza peel or baking sheet with parchment onto the pizza stone. Bake until very crispy, about 13 to 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough, sauce and cheese.

Comments (13)