SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aughi_ma

Dog fight injuries & therapy

aughi_ma
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

My Aussi/Heeler Maya lost a dog fight to a Great Pyrenees mix who was seriously provoked. Maya spent 3 days in the hospital where they reconstructed the shredded muscles in her back left leg and then reconnected them to her knee. She is home today from the hospital and will be recouperating for several weeks in her kennel.

We don't know if the muscles will reattach and we don't know if she will be able/willing to use the leg.

So my first question is whether any of you can recommend types of physical therapy that will help (once her tissues and stitches have healed, of course). Heat, massage, swimming...?

And the second question is about re-socializing her. She was a very friendly athletic dog, but now seems to be extremely timid and fearful. Will this pass as she heals? Is there any way I can help this along? When she came home, she even growled at her best friend, the cat.

I'd be happy to hear any consoling dog-fight survival stories since this is the first time I've been on the wrong end of dog socialization.

Thanks,

Aughi_ma

Comments (12)