SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

The Saga of the Stupidest Injury to Myself

lynninnewmexico
10 years ago

Did you ever injure yourself and then come off sounding like a total idiot trying to explain to everyone how it happened? I'm there right now and the bruises ~ one large, long one on both my upper and lower right arm, are so multi-colored and obvious that I'm getting questions and/ or stares wherever I go.

I drive a white Sienna minivan with automatic sliding side doors. Five days ago, I was at the grocery store and had just finished loading all the sacks into the back end of my van. It was very sunny that afternoon (a typical New Mexico occurrence) and I leaned against the drivers side of the car while rummaging through my purse for my sunglasses. While doing this, I accidentally squeezed the button on my keychain remote for the car. The side door started to slide open, pinching the entire side of my right arm (which, unfortunately, just happened to be right at the back edge of the door) between the car and the door. OMG, did that hurt! Thankfully, I had the remote in my left hand and immediately closed the door. In retrospect, I should have gone back inside the store and asked for an emergency icepack to put on it, but I felt too embarrassed to try and explain what I'd just done (LOL).

It takes me almost 30 minutes to get home from the grocery store and by that time the damage was done. Don't get me wrong, it's not a major injury, but ~yikes~ the bruising is eye-popping! Unfortunately, the weather has been hot and muggy (the mugginess is very unusual to NM) and long-sleeved tops would be so uncomfortable. They also hurt my arm where they touch the bruising. We were at Costco on Saturday morning and DH swore that everyone first looked at my arm and then quickly at him, I guess thinking that he did this to me. Poor guy!
Trying to explain it to people who ask is equally embarrassing.

So that's the saga of the stupidest self-injury I've heard of in a long time. Who'd have thunk, eh (LOL!)?

Lynn

Comments (36)