SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchencrazychris

DS . . lemon truck . . and me . . . Over-reacting???

kitchencrazychris
17 years ago

A little bit of brief history here . . .

DS got a truck last year . . . Dodge Dakota, pre-owned, certified (And I am so believing that certified means squat !!! ) . . . MANY problems with this truck, sad to say. For what this truck cost, he could have had a new one, but preferred this one for several reasons. Hindsight is a wonderful thing . . . if we'd known what was in store for us . . . !!! Bought it from a very reputable dealer . . and the certified thing . . . well, anyway . .

DS paid for half the truck . . .that had always been our deal . . we'd match what he put up. It was probably more $$ than we'd been figuring . . at least until we started looking at trucks, and figured to get something without lots of miles, etc. . . Bottom line for me was and always will be, safety. Figured . . okay, this truck is more $$ than we'd figured, but he'll have it for years, and it's a good solid truck. Fast forward . . . and I won't even go into some of the problems . . . but the latest . . .

DS was driving home from work last week, (well, make it the week before since the truck has basically been in one shop or another for over a week !!! ) . . . and he lost power .. couldn't get the truck to go over 45 mph . .

kind of a scary deal when dealing with freeways. This was a Friday, so heading into the weekend. He drove it a couple of times just around town, and it did the same thing . . rpms revved up, power just wasn't there. I was with him once when it did this, and even from the passenger side, I felt the loss of power. So, we took it into Dodge service . . . they had it for two days, could find nothing wrong with it. Meanwhile, I had called a friend of ours who has a repair shop, and whose opinion I totally trust . . told him what was going on, and he said there definitely is something wrong with it, to bring it in to him. When we picked up the truck from Dodge, on the way to the other place, the truck lost power !!!!!!!!!!

At this point, DS is ready to leave the truck on the side of the road !!! My friend called me the next day, saying he found what the problem was, but that he couldn't fix it, that it had to be done by Dodge . . re-programming the computer . . said the symptoms matched a bulletin that he'd pulled . . He told me to take it to another Dodge place, where, in fact, he'd worked years ago and still knew people there. Took it in next day . . they had it for two days, said the re-programming wasn't the answer . .

couldn't find out why it was losing power, didn't lose power for them . . . They're not disputing the fact at all that it loses power for DS . . but it just won't duplicate for them now. Their solution . . to put some kind of monitoring device on it and when the situation happens again, that DS will hit a button and it will record what's going on. Oh, and another problem, the temp. gauge, sometimes when the truck is initially turned on, will shoot up to Hot, then the truck is turned off, and temp gauge goes back to normal. This, again, is not right, but again, they don't know why !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, . . .DS has HAD it !!!!!!! Likes the truck, but hates it. Doesn't feel secure driving it when this problem exists, nor do I. I asked the guys . . what do they need to happen?? for the truck to lose power on the freeway and for DS to end up in an accident??? They told me it's totally safe, but I'm not buying it, nor is DS.

He doesn't even want to drive it . . . ever !!! And he drives a lot . . . between school and work, and work entails a lot of freeway driving ..

Going into all of this, also, are several other problems with the truck, which have been a pain . . . nothing really safety related, which is my big thing, . . .but things that shouldn't have happened with a year old truck !!

DS is not wanting to have anything to do with this truck anymore, and is looking into buying a Tacoma . . new.

Throw into this mix . . . DH . . . who was all over the board, anyway, when it came to buying the truck . . .

Was for it initially, because that was our deal . . . for DH to get his Eagle Rank, and to be on Honor roll, which he did . . . DS was to have worked last summer, and this is why he needed to have the truck. Then, came his arm injury, with nerve damage . . . could not work, eventually ended up having surgery . . . (this all was in a post oh so long ago . . .) So, DH is wanting to yank the deal, just because of the arm injury . . . So, I'm coming at it from the mom standpoint . . . a deal's a deal . . plus when we first got the truck, there was the slight possibility that DS might be able to work until the arm got so bad . . So, anyway, it was DS and me truck shopping.

DH went out once, and at the time was all for the truck . . but he had us yo-yoing all over the place with it. One day . . all for it, the next day, backsliding.

So, on the days he was for it, we took it and ran with it !! The day we bought the truck, he even called me from work to see if I wanted him to deal with the Credit Union, etc. Okay, get the truck home, and he didn't even look at it !!!!!!!!!!! Didn't ask to go for a ride . .

DS is so excited about it, and it's like it's not even in our driveway at all !!!!!!!!!! and that's how it's been for a year, pretty much !! so, we have all that thrown into the truck problems . . . This is all very brief, (or maybe not !! if any of you are still reading this !!, I guess I should be serving up virtual lattes and scones !!!)

Anyway, . . . I guess the whole point of this is . . .

am I over-reacting for not wanting DS to drive this truck . . .is DS over-reacting to not want to drive it . . .

Two out of three places say they can't find the problem . .

that it's okay to drive . . . the third place CAN'T fix the problem as he saw it because he's not a Dodge dealer.

I am going to call him again this morning to bounce stuff off him . .

DH already left the house in a huff this morning because I asked him to take my car instead of his . . because DS doesn't like driving my car, PLUS DH has never wanted him driving it because it has lots more power . . .

Okay, I'm outta here . . . sorry to have gone on and on, but I am just so frustrated . . . Have the tight muscles in the neck thing going on . . . ALREADY, and it's not even 7 a.m. !!!

TIA for any feedback you might wish to share !!!

Chris

Comments (22)