SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Compromising your own privacy, Twitter, Facebook.

palimpsest
9 years ago

You've probably read that people have been robbed while they on vacation and it was determined that their Facebook and Twitter posts indicating that they were far from home probably contributed.

There was a robbery in my neighborhood and they think that might have played a role. I am not on Facebook or Twitter, but my SO is (with high privacy settings), but I did say Please no Facebook posts or Tweets or Instagrams of where we are and what we are doing, on a recent vacation.

Because of Twitter and Facebook we knew when our former tenants went up on the roof and took pictures. passed out in their own vomit after drinking (with pictures), when one of them was alone in the "Slut Shack" her words, for the weekend so the "Rape Room" (basement) was available (A tweet back from one of her male friends).

Anyway, totally narcissistic IMO, (I don't much care that you just ate an awesome sandwich somewhere). My niece even has a friend who will text a photo of what she thinks is a particularly good bowel movement. (This isn't some mentally ill teenager either, she's a 30 year old married woman). I think the level of self-importance, self-awareness, and self-disclosure has gotten way outta hand.

The latest incidence here is an "alleged" gay-bashing where after a group of people asked a same sex couple "Is that f-- your boyfriend?" And when one said "yes this f-- is my boyfriend" instead of being humiliated by their very existence, a number of the group beat the c rap out of the couple and one of them had multiple facial injuries and a jaw fracture.

WIthin a couple days, Facebook and Twitter photos of a large restaurant group surfaced in which people matched the security camera photos that captured some of the perpetrators. Eventually a bunch of people turned themselves in and two men and one woman have been charged.

Because of Facebook and Twitter, the woman has really compromised her position. Although the defense attorneys are trying to pass this off as a two-sided altercation, the woman, in particular, has sort of tipped the balance against this with homophobic tweets in the past. It has also (allegedly) been determined she has tweeted patients' photos or x-ray images of injuries she thinks are "funny" in the emergency room she just got suspended or fired from.This may be a federal offense. When the neighbors were asked what they felt about her being involved in something like this and no one would appear on camera, and they all apparently said they weren't surprised. Usually there is some neighbor who will say they are shocked--not here. Coupled with pictures of her drinking out of giant whiskey bottles and such, she hasn't helped herself at all.

I wasn't there, so I don't know what her role was, but I think her very public and generalized exposure of her attitudes and behaviors have made it much easier to assume she is guilty as charged

Comments (60)