SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmkitchen

Having a hard week -- how do you cope?

rmkitchen
16 years ago

I know I am not the only person to have a hard week -- not even the first person today to have had a hard week. But I lost my cool with my children yesterday and I am pretty much beside myself.

Most of our first floor (save the laundry room [also our temp. kitchen, although the fridge is across the house in the gutted dining room] and bathroom) was gutted starting 1/2, so we're not that far into the project (makes me nervous I'm already losing it!). But starting a week ago Friday (so on 1/4), I started to get agitated. One of the electricians left our front door wide open.

Now, I have a v. large note taped to the front door which reads: "All Doors and Windows MUST Remain Closed. Do NOT Let 3 Indoor-Only Cats Out!"

I was upstairs with my children (3.5 yrs and 19 mos) when I saw this joker walk away from the door, leaving it open. So I called down to him, saying "the door cannot be open!" He smirked at me (I know the look) and he kept walking, walking away from the open door.

The master bed / baths, the laundry, main-floor bath and basement are the only areas untouched by the remodel. (The children's and guest beds and baths will only receive minor work [mouldings installed and painted], but it's still work.) Our cats love hanging out upstairs, so I try to sequester them in my bedroom, but those wily cats pick open my door so they can follow the sun from bedroom to bedroom. Naturally! I am unwilling to keep them in our basement -- it's a nice basement, but it's not a walk-out so they wouldn't get the sun they like, and I think that's unfair to them.

Anyway, everyday when I go to-and-fro nursery school the subs are left alone in my house. I have to trust them, and I want to. But when that door is left open obviously I cannot.

Then Monday the same electrician used our bathroom (where the [diaper] changing table is), and left if foul. Gross. Filthy. Stinky. (I saw him come out -- that's how I know it was him.) Of course, that's when my 19 month-old had a big blowout so needed his diaper changed tout de suite. When I walked in (and nearly passed out) and saw the mess I was livid. The only person in our family who uses that bathroom (by which I mean the toilet) is my 3.5 year-old, and he never makes a mess. Never. (and I ought to know as I'm the one who cleans in there!)

I told that electrician that I was offended and that I expected him to clean the toilet and floor. Again, he smirked at me and when he and the rest of the (really nice -- no complaints about them) crew left, the bathroom was still revolting. I called the GC and they got the owner of the electrical company on the phone and you can bet they got an earful! A port-a-potty was delivered the following day and the (since written) promise of a cleaning crew when the project is completed was made. And that electrician did not return to our project (I forbade it). I will not tolerate disrespect.

The plumbers were supposed to show up Thursday at 8am: they arrived at 1.15pm. In and of itself that's fine, except that both the GC and I know that every Tuesday and Thursday from 1-2pm I am occupied with my 19 month-old's therapy (Thursday is Physical Therapy). So even though I'm home, I am absolutely unavailable.

For whatever reason, the plumbers appeared to have no clue what they were to do. There are large renditions of the plans (room by room) in each room, plus in the kitchen everything's been drawn / written on the wall. The lead plumber (owner) called up to me (during PT) and said "Hey, you better get down here! We're on the clock!"

Naturally I thought that was quite rich as they were the ones who were five plus hours late. And evidently they're all also functionally illiterate because they figured they should put the sink where the cooktop is going to go. (and "COOKTOP" is written in large, black marker on the wall, with "SINK" being written in equally large, black marker on a different wall)

They also had no specs, for anything. And the book of specs I had made has evidently been "borrowed" by someone .... At this point I was also ticked with the GC for putting me in this position. But it is, after all, my house, so after PT was over I printed out more copies of the specs and walked them through, room by room. (found out after the fact the plumbers' office manager "forgot" to give them the specs [and they forgot to ask for them] before they came to our job site -- our GC had both faxed as well as e-mailed our specs over to the plumbers beforehand)

Friday the plumbers didn't show up at all and then our health insurance denied a claim to pay for ankle supports (like mild braces) for my youngest because "it is not a medical necessity that [my son] improve his stability so that he can learn to walk." I guess I shouldn't have been surprised because they also tried to deny his PT as "his injury [sic] is clearly work related." First, there was no injury. Secondly, if my 19 month-old is working, where's his paycheck? When they demanded proof from me that it was not work related I told them their proof is his birthday.

By this point it was mid-afternoon Friday (yesterday) and my 19 month-old was screaming (wanted more to eat, which is fine but as you all with temporary kitchens know it tends to be a bit more involved to whip something else up) and my 3.5 year-old whining because he'd lost a piece of a brand-new (as in, I just gave it to the laddies Wednesday) toy.

I totally lost it and I yelled (screamed) at the boys "Stop it! Stop it! You're driving me mad!" Of course that made them both cry uncontrollably and it left me feeling like the biggest heel / worst mother in the world.

How could I have yelled at my angels? How could I have taken all this frustration (plus some) out on them? Whatever their aggrievements they absolutely did not merit my reaction. I took it out on them because I just could not keep it together, and I feel horrible.

I immediately grabbed them both up and apologized, explaining how sorry I was, that I was frustrated about a lot of things and I yelled, and how I should not have yelled. We talked about what we should do when frustrated (e.g., not yell), like go and hit Bozo the Clown. But it's too late: I already yelled, and there I was preaching that totally stupid and unacceptable "do as I say, don't do as I do" crap.

I am still wracked with guilt and have been up literally all night. I feel so bad my mind won't let me sleep.

Unfortunately, I don't drink, although I am seriously thinking of taking it up!

My husband isn't present much -- I mean, he's home, but he's an emotionally vacant fellow. (It's his culture to tune out and repress. I just don't get it, even after years of living together as well as me living for many years in his native country.) So he's not really viable for venting or helping me figure this out.

What do you do? What do you do when the straw which will break your camel's back is there? What do you do when it's the people you love most in the world who are the ones holding that final straw? If it had been that electrician who tested my last nerve it would have been easy: yell at him, who cares? But I care too much about my children.

Please let me know I am not alone!

Comments (19)

• cat_mom
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my, someone should take those guys and just smack them hard--kk, i-chic are you reading this? kitchenkelly has some morgue drawers for stashing the bodies temporarily....

You poor thing. There really is no excuse for such rude and just plain insensitive behavior. We were very lucky with most of the guys working on our job, and had no qualms about leaving them here alone (with our 2 indoor cats locked up at one end of the house). DH managed to either work from home, or took days off when some of the others were working here, so that helped.

If yelling and screaming at your kids is not a normal (read daily) occurrence, and it doesn't sound like it is, I think the boys will get over it, and forget all about mommy's little blow-up fairly quickly. Kids tend to pretty resilient. You were reacting to the (inexcusable) situation around you. It happens, and it seems like you will make every effort to avoid it in the future. Please don't beat yourself up about it.

As for those jerks--you've made sure the one guy will not be working in your home again--good. Maybe your DH can talk with the others on the project and help to keep them in line so to speak. I know there were times when I made my DH bring things up with some of the guys; in order to have that guy-to-guy vibe, so that it wouldn't always be me bringing things up, or pointing out mistakes. Sometimes guys just react to or respond better to certain comments when presented by another guy (shouldn't be so, but it's a fact). This way you aren't stuck always being the "bad guy" or the picky, nagging, housewife (which is often the label we're given, justified or not).

Good luck to you. You have every right to vent and you've come to just the right place for it, too. (((hug)))

• kitchenkelly
    16 years ago

Oh, that is terrible. I don't know what to say. (Feel free to use the morgue drawers.) I was pretty lucky with my GC and subs - nothing close to your situation. Plus no children to help through all the disruption either. Hopefully your GC will try to make sure that things go better from now on. (I assume that he depends on references.)

With that said, I did have highs and lows and was confined to one bedroom for five months. Broke down a few times. I just kept telling myself it will be over soon, it will be over soon. (Which was a lie because it took forever.) I don't remember where you live but hopefully you can spend time outside and get away from the mess and breathe. Deep breaths.

Also, I think that in every project there will always be problems so remember that you are not alone. And good grief - I think you have had enough issues so maybe the worst is behind you.

Wishing you smooth sailing and hammering and drywalling and plumbing for the rest of your project. Remember those deep breaths and that your home will be beautiful when it is all said and done.

• Related Discussions

having a hard time coping

Q

Comments (29)
    Coolmama, As long as I can remember, pets have filled a 'void' in my life. They are so loyal, trusting & make no judgements. They love you unconditionally regardless of your age, status, beliefs, faults etc. I don't recall ever being without a cat & since I've had a house, a dog also. Many years ago, when I was 18 & living in a fourplex apt. in the country, I had a cat Shamu. One fall day, while visiting a farm, the workers found an infant bunny in a bale. I recall them saying that is was unusual for the time of year & bunny had no chance. So, I said I'd take it home, which I did. I fed Buffy with a doll's bottle with Shamu sitting at my feet, awaiting his turn. Yes, I fed that cat, too, so he didn't feel left out. Later, when Buffy ate potato peels, when I prepared a meal, Shamu ate raw potato peels. I think Buffy thought it was a cat, & loved to snuggle with Shamu even trying to nurse. Buffy thrived & even knew it's name, coming when I called. He & Shamu were the best of friends. I loved that bunny & had a stong bond - bottle feeding is so special. As usual, Shamu slept in bed with me, while Buffy slept in a box, with a screen on top, nearby. One morning Buffy wasn't in the box. Much to my horror, I found Buffy dead under the bed. I was devastated. I had a difficult time coping, as did Shamu. At the time, it really bothered me that it had died alone, without a sound. The slightest sound from a critter, awakes me. I learned very quickly that mourning a pet isn't socially accepted, generally. No one understood the grief I was experiencing. Basically, the attitude was it was "just" a wild rabbit. Oh well, big deal. This forum is wonderful as here there are people who understand, share your pain, & offer comfort. You do need to give yourself time to grieve. It's not easy. I've lost beloved pets since, & always have a hard time coping, more with some than others. My heart goes out to you. A gerbil, isn't JUST a gerbil, it's a piece of your heart. Summer
    ...See More

Do you have bluestone coping? What deck did you choose?

Q

Comments (10)
    Do you have any other stone flatwork that would be appropriate to match? Or, a stone or brick veneer on the house to match? Bluestone coping can go with anything, but IMHO looks best with matching bluestone flatwork or colonial style brick (soft brick, not hot-fired), and not much else. For a clean, uncomplicated look (your words), go with a bluestone deck.
    ...See More

Do You Have A Certain Day of The Week You

Q

Comments (19)
    Hubby and I go on Sunday, usually every other Sunday after we do breakfast out.. I really try to keep stocked up so I don"t have to go to the grocery store between these shopping trips.. I used to be one of those that was in our local Wal-Mart every day. I am now more organized, plan my meals ahead of time.. cook extra and freeze for later use, we do some shopping at Costco, and another discount food market, We have cut our grocery bill consiterably since doing this.. the least amount of visits to the store, the less likly to spend on impluse. I am now big on making lists and menu planning, at first it was a hassel, but now I enjoy knowing what is for dinner, and enjoy the fact all the items needed for that meal are at hand.. once in a while I have to make a quick run to the store but not too often. Another tip is i freeze milk, since that is one item than tends to run out..
    ...See More

Second nor'easter and cabin fever rising. How do you cope?

Q

Comments (2)
    My seedlings -- mostly tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and some brassicas and lettuces -- are languishing indoors now, even under lights. As you know, we've had a very few, very nice "teaser" days here and there in between the cold rainy ones and the flurries. I keep telling myself it can't be much longer until we have consistent warmth and sun, but then it is. I cope by drawing up ever more elaborate garden plans and adding to my list of projects to undertake -- when the weather is nice! Otherwise reading, cooking, watching my "backyard pets" (wild birds and critters and the neighbor's cats) from inside, some paper crafts. I have an interest in geology and study it a little informally, but I was unaware that there was significant volcanic activity this year. I would think that an eruption would have to be on the scale of Krakatoa's to have any climatic effect, and even then it would probably amount to little more than pitching lots of particulate matter into the atmosphere, which in turn would probably do little more than produce unusually picturesque sunsets for a year or so. Not certain, but that's what I think. In terms of climate change phenomena, aka "global warming" (we're not hearing that term much anymore, I've noticed, because of conservatives' claims that it's "ideological," but global warming is what it is), my understanding is that climatologists have predicted conditions in the northeast and mid-Atlantic states will become increasingly similar to the Pacific Northwest, and that in fact is what we've seen to be happening the past several years with cooler and wetter springs and the delayed arrival of the more typical heat and humidity of summer. It seems they're less confident about predicting trends for winter, though.
    ...See More
  • bayareafrancy
    16 years ago

Firstly, I'm so proud of the way you handled the electrician! Excellent job! I probably would have just taken out my anger at my kids, and then cried each time I saw the electrician coming. Seriously! You did good, mom!

My boys are 6 and almost-4. They have definitely felt my remodeling frustrations over the past 2 years (husband is gone all day, until late in the evening, so I can't yell at him). Like you, I hate myself when I take it out on them. And I've done it a lot more than once! I have to make a constant effort to not take it out on them. My matra is, "just shut up." So, when I'm mad and I want to scream at them, I seal my lips shut, and tell myself "just shut up, just shut up, just shut up." Often, I will give myself a time out (harder to do with your little one scooting about). If I can lock myself in a room for 10 minutes and scream into my pillow, it really helps. Of course, they are ususally banging on the door yelling, "Mama, come out!" Whew! I feel tense just thinking about it.

My worst days have been the ones where I am home (b/c I need to supervise) with my 3 year old. I am trying to amuse him, keep him out of the workers way (we have a small house), keep him FED (without going in the kitchen). It may sound silly to someone without kids, but it is very, very stressful! It's like being home with a ticking time bomb, and trying to difuse it for hours and hours. On days like that, a "serving" of kava is helpful (kava is an herb that promostes relaxation. You can buy it in a yucky tea form, but I prefer the pills! It works almost as well as valium...).

Soooooo, my best techniques for dealing with lousy weeks:
    1. Kava
    2. Perspective. This one has kept me sane for 2 years. Of my group of real life friends, I am the only one with the luxury of a redone kitchen. Lots of them have 20 year old decrepit kitchens. I am so lucky! I keep reminding myself of this. I don't talk about my kitchen much with any of them. The other "perspective" comes from thinking about the "real" problems in the world. A few weeks ago, someone posted a link here to a blog for that 8 year old girl, Jaiden Tlapa who was in the snowblower accident. I have no connection to that girl. I am not a religious a person, so I cannot join the prayer groups for her. But I check her blog almost every day. When I am upset with contractors, I remind myself that Jaiden's parents just want their daughter to open her eyes again. When I am losing it with my boys, I think about Jaiden. I think about her a lot...

You sound like an amazing mother and person. You have handled house issues like a stong grownup. You aren't going to be pushed around. You feel terrible for one blowup at your kids, when most of us probably blow up frequently. Don't worry that you have permanently damaged them. Luckily, we can blow up about a hundred times before age 5. They don't remember much of it (I know--because I have asked my older son...) Instead of wallowing in the guilt, remember that guilt and bad feelings are useful tools: they teach us right from wrong, and they will remind you to do better next time. You can't take back the past, but you can learn from it. If you lose your temper with your kids, tell them and yourself: "Today I did not do so well. Tomorrow I WILL do better." That is an important lesson for them to learn as well.

And always vent here! Because we can relate!

:-)

Francy

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Been there, done that...more than once! :>)

I'm not sure of the exact reason we take it out on our loved ones. Some would say because subconsciously you know it's safe. You can lose it, and they will still love you. I know we don't think of that in the moment, but maybe that's why they get the brunt of it, and not the real culprits.

My kids have grown up and left home (so part of me feels a little guilty that they won't really be able to enjoy/benefit from the renos- do us Moms EVER stop feeling guilt?), so my DH is the focus of my frustration and YES sometimes RAGE. For me, exercise is the only thing guaranteed to smooth out the hormones/nerves whatever. Even if I should be doing house stuff, if I'm on the warpath, I know I'd better head out to the pool or at least go for a vigorous walk or perhaps even gorilla house cleaning with loud energetic music to get me moving!

The blow-up seems to have really upset you, if you want to avoid getting to that point again, best advice I can offer is to learn to recognize the triggers, and when you can feel you're beginning to get upset, deal with it then. As my DD used to tell me when she was little, Mom you don't want to go all the way to the top of Anger Mountain (they learned that at school- I thought it was a really valuable life lesson).

Remember to take care of yourself as well as you can. And we're here to listen if you need to vent again. Hope you have some FUN this weekend.

• divamum
    16 years ago

I freely admit that I haven't shared the same challenges you are since my DD is at school in the day and we haven't had to deal with subs, but ... remodeling is remodeling, yanno? I adore my builders but they NEVER remember to shut the back gate - we have a dog. Even his colleague reminds him to shut the gate and he forgets! I don't know what that blind spot is, since his mom was a dog BREEDER (hmm... maybe that's the reason - Freudian resentment?!)

Anyway, I think we've all had days from hell living through this process, if only because the lack of freedom and privacy does insidious things to our equilibrium!

Things that helped us:

- I try to be there every day when they leave so we can debrief for the following day. That means that even if I'm not there when they arrive, I've already "put down a marker". It's not always possible, but it did seem to help things run smoother. Also, I was blessed in having a GC who does things by email, so I could send stuff overnight ("I noticed [X] - what's happening with that?" or whatever); you may not have that option, but if so... definitely worth using.

- if I could'nt be there first thing, I left notes in really REALLY unavoidable places. Like, they couldn't get at their toolbag without moving it, or right on top of where they were going to work, or ACROSS the door so they would have to tear it to get in. Subtlety doesn't seem to be one of the bywords of the construction industry, so I fought fire with fire ;) Hell, if need be, hide their toolbox!

- You're human. Your kids will be fine. They are clearly well-loved children and I'm sure will weather one day of Maxed Out Mommy during the remodeling. We all feel wracked with guilt when we lose our temper with them, but that's life, you know? I'm sure it will not be the last time no matter how much you want it to be (hey, you've got those teen years to get through!), and I'm sure they will encounter socccer coaches, teachers, and bosses who are far less considerate of their feelings than you are! I think it's a life skill to learn how to cope with it; we all have to learn that sometimes people get mad even if they're not mad AT US. (Note I am NOT condoning taking out one's frustrations on one's kids, just acknowledging that it happens whether we want it to or not!). Your kids are young so it's harder to "explain" to them, but because they're younger they're not that likely to remember it. It'll be fine.

- Keep the cats in the closed off bedroom or, even though you know they want the sun, downstairs in the basement where they're safe. Put yellow tape across the doors if necessary with large scary pictures of "Beware Of The Cat" or SOMETHING that will get their attention (landmines? Bowl of water balanced on the door?!?). The cats will survive a couple of snoozing-in-the-sun days better than they will if they get out and lost. Think of it as protection rather than restriction :)

- go OUT whenever you can. When your hubby gets home, hand the kids off and go sit in Barnes and Noble, or walk around a dress shop, or exercise, or have wine with a girlfriend or whatever floats your boat. An evening AWAY will do wonders for your sense of being able to cope! Also, take the kids and GO whenever you can - park, library, whatever. Get them somewhere they can hang out without worrying about dust and construction mess. Good for you, too.

Most importantly, try to keep the perspective and accept that it's going to be WORSE than you ever imagined. My husband has been amazed at how calmly I've dealt with the hiccups doing this project - part of it was because we have very easy-to-live-with builders, but also it's because everybody told me how HORRENDOUS it would be. The reality has been so much LESS bad than I imagined that I've just kind of dealt with it (more or less - there have, of course, been some days where I just wanted to sit in the middle of the floor and cry!).

Hang in there - try to keep your sense of humour as much as you can and hopefully that will make it seem less daunting! After all, it's a kitchen - not brain surgery, a death in the family or a traffic accident. Remodeling isn't fun, but at the end of it you'll have the kitchen you wanted AND your life back!

• plllog
    16 years ago

What do you do when it's the people you love most in the world who are the ones holding that final straw?

What you do is admit you're human, and flawed, and do exactly what you did, which is model for your children how to apologize, and discuss better ways to handle rough emotions, and turn your lapse into a good lesson. How are they going to cope in the world if they don't learn how to forgive people? Especially, how to forgive someone they love as much as Mommy? I bet by the end they were more interested in comforting you than they were upset by the yelling.

In all of this very difficult, very frustrating time, you've done very well for yourself. It is not your job to be telling the plumbers what to do. That's what the GC is for! But you took care of it, and the insurance, and cooked that nasty electrician and got a good result from his boss. You're doing what you need to do under huge amounts of stress and if you broke down for an instant, you handled that well too.

Now what you need to do is forgive yourself. You made a mistake, you apologized for it, you used it as a teaching example, and now you have to opportunity to model for your children that it's okay to move on from one's mistakes once one has done everything one can to repair them.

If your husband doesn't understand venting, can he relate to spa day?

• polly929
    16 years ago

rmkitchen- You poor thing - now that's a bad week! I can so relate- I just had the worst 2 years of bad luck, between selling and buying a house and mountains of other bumps in the road with renovations- I won't bore you with all the details- but I am with Francy. I head for a glass of wine (after the kids go to bed) and then I just put it all in perspective. I work in healthcare and I see tradgedies every day- it makes my renovation problems seem so small. Oh- and I have to say- you handled that contractor with a lot of class- I would have been like "are you bleeping kidding me dude?" And maybe a few other bleeps-I have no filter on my mouth :)

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

RMKitchen - How I can relate (to the kid part of it)! My remodel only involves the kitchen and really has gone rather smoothly, but even so, it is stressful. We "only" lost the dog once (right at the beginning - the guys learned REALLY QUICKLY to shut the gate), and the kids (3, 5 and 7) have handled it relatively well.

These contractors have thus far been pretty insensitive, and it sounds like you need to have a heart-to-heart with your GC and lay down some absolute ground rules (doors CLOSED, CALL if you or subs are going to be over 1/2 hour late, under no circumstances are you to be interrupted b/w 1 and 2, only use the porta potty, no smoking at the jobsite - okay, I may be the only one that cares about that, but it's a big deal for me, if your kids nap then have a rule about the loudness of music...)

In my situation, it seems the kids ALWAYS want to talk to me right when I am dealing with an issue with the contractors. ALWAYS. It drives me batty. I do not think I am a "yeller" - in fact my DH thinks I am too lenient with the kids (I don't agree, but that's another issue!!), but when the kids are being blatantly rude and I am trying to resolve an issue quickly and they are repeating, "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" over and over and over again so I can't even ignore it, I can feel the steam rising.

Of course stuff like this crops up even when we are not in the middle of a remodel...the 3 and 5 year old gang up on the 7 year old, or the 7 year old pesters the 2 younger girls and they start screaming (those high pitched, girl screams that can make your hair stand right up on end)...STUFF happens and there will be many days, even if you are a laid back, patient person, when things conspire to put you in a testy mood and the last straw will come at the end of the day with the kids.

It definitely seems to be worse as the kids have gotten older. Lovely and loving though they are, it is HARD being a parent. And it is HARD dealing with a remodel.

Give yourself a break. You have beaten yourself up enough about it. I think you have been way too hard on yourself. As the others have said, now that this has happened, you will do your darndest to prevent a repeat performance in the future. Your kids will learn lessons from this as well - good lessons - and you will probably be tougher on the contractors (which is a good thing).

Things hopefully will get better too, as the project progresses and the contractors and subs get to know you.

GOOD LUCK! Give your kids a huge hug and tell them that the remodel sometimes might be hard for you and every now and then you might seem upset or mad - that sometimes even Mommies and Daddies need to take a deep breath and that you are sorry in advance if you get irritated. You will try your hardest and no matter what you love them with your whole heart.

Living with the remodel may be hard, but it will be fun too - my kids (even my 3 yo) have enjoyed watching all the neat progress and seeing the cool tools - and when it is done the house will be so much better for you to use. I told my kids that I appreciated their help and cooperation during the remodel, and it seems to make them feel involved. I ask their opinions about the progress - or what I should do - and even if I don't take it, they seem to respond better feeling invested in the outcome (even at their young ages).

Again, good luck. You sound like an amazing, loving mother!!!

• westsider40
    16 years ago

I am sorry that you have to always be the competent partner, the one to deal with these jerks. You handled the bathroom jerk perfectly. That smirky sob. I would have liked to have grabbed him by the sleeve and pulled him into the bathroom, handed him paper towels and spray cleaner and an empty plastic bag. After he cleaned up his mess, I would have forced him to take the dirty paper towels, now ensconced in the plastic bag and either put them in his lunch box or his truck. Oh, I would have sweetly and innocently called his work buddies into the bathroom to show them the mess the pig made. Sweetly, "advice, please, what would you fellas do if this was your house?" This pig obviously hates women. We should clean their toilet messes?
    Re emotionally vacant spouses, it is not cultural. I have one and there is no cultural difference. My private nickname is 'ez' for emotional zero. It is too bad that you have to be the strong one and the bad guy. Excuse my french, but someone has to have the b-lls in the family, and, clearly, it's you. It is easier to cop out and be distant than participate, but the price for that behavior is high. No way is it cultural. Lack of character, weakness, passive-aggressive, but not inherent in any particular culture.

You're kids will be fine, absolutely. You are under incredible stress, with a lot of responsibility.
    In addition to the other fine suggestions, just pretend you are a single by choice mother, and a single by choice Super Super General Contractor, put your emotions away, use your adult ego state (hush up little kid) and continue to do the fine job you have been doing.
    Most of these guys are jerks. The porta-potty decider is a good guy. You are not the jerk. I did rant b/c I envisioned myself and other able women in these abusive situations.
    Bev

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

((((rmkitchen))))) I don't even know you and I'm aching for you. I am so sorry to read your travails and hope things improve and FAST. You will deserve a HUGE time to yourself at some point very soon when you can be spared for a while.

• hilltophome
    16 years ago

Lock the bathroom door. The workers have no business using it. I have tons of workers in and out of my house and they NEVER ask to use the bathroom. That's what trees and fastfood restaurants are for.

Call the supervisor of anybody really crass. Money talks and you can take yours elsewhere. I had a man spit on my subfloor, and he got a talking to.

No, I wouldn't expect workers to close your door, any more than you think 2 year olds would. They're one in the same, so treat them that way. Put the cats in the basement or a locked room.

• hilltophome
    16 years ago

Chocolate, in large quantities and often. Then go exercise to burn it off. Yelled at the kids? Hug, apologize, and watch a movie or do something pleasant together. We all mess up. They'll bounce back and they'll see how intelligent, mature, caring adults handle their problems. You can do this! :)

• mommycooks
    16 years ago

Oh my heart goes out to you. You did absolutely handle the sub in the right way, and I am glad he is banned (though sorry you had to deal with it in the first place).

Hugs, screams into pillows, and escaping the house are all great strategies. If you have friends who you can visit with, with your kids, that can be a nice thing as well. We are here pulling for you!

• divamum
    16 years ago

rmkitchen, you MUST MUST MUST see today's For Better or for Worse Sunday comic strip.

Not to make light of the miserable week you've had, but it DOES help to know we're not alone and that this is terribly universal....!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

In reference to one aspect of your not being alone: may I just add this morning: I *hate* the health insurance/illness exploitation industry. I don't know how they sleep at night. My DD from a young age got to know that the *one* thing that could push Mommy over the edge into ANGER was having to deal with the greed, deceit, and conniving officiousness of "United Healthcare". Thank *GOD* we don't use them anymore.

• rmkitchen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!

From the bottom of my heart Thank You Thank You Thank You all! I loved and greatly appreciated the hugs and support, commiseration and encomium. I guess it's true: misery loves company! Although I am so sorry anyone has to feel stress during what should be an exciting, wonderful time. (Guess this applies to both remodeling as well as child-rearing, although it's laughable to think either could be without stress! Thats why two of my favorite parenting books are The B**ch in the House and Mothers Who Think.)

You know the way the child of an alcoholic might be reluctant to ever drink for fear of turning into their parent? For me, that's the way I feel about yelling. My mother was mean as spit and her yelling was ugly, personal, belittling and usually segued into hitting.

I'm sure this is why my yelling at my children rattled me so. I waited a long time to start my family (I was 34 when I had my first) so that I could go through therapy to ensure I did not turn into my mother. (I think this is common here in the States, not wanting to turn into our parents!)

So more than you know, I sincerely, deeply appreciate the comments of telling me I handled it well and that I'm a good mother and haven't scarred my children for life. That's my biggest fear -- I mean, I am terrified of heights, but the fear of hurting my children paralyzes me.

Yesterday (day after yelling) my 3.5 year-old and I attended a birthday party, dressed, at his urging (this was not a costume party), as Spiderman and Spidermom. He wanted everyone to know "we're superheroes together!" After we got home, my 19 month-old asked me for a "tickle-cuddle," so I guess they've both forgiven me as well as moved past it. Kids are more resilient than I give them credit for.

Phew!

hilltophome, I think you are right, that I need to just put the cats in the basement (where we hang out lots so they won't be without human companionship) because their long-term well-being is much more important than their short-term sun-worshiping. And with a wonderful user name like cat_mom, I bet she'll agree!

kitchenkelly, thank you for the use of your morgue drawers! Even though I have a foul mouth and talk a big talk, I'm a pacifist, so I'm really hopeful I won't borrow them. But it'll make an excellent threat to the next jerk who crosses my path!

(re: my foul mouth: The night of the dirty bathroom, my 3.5 year-old asked his daddy "Why's Dux [his name for me] 'so f***ing angry?'" Ahem.)

Francy, thank you both for letting me know you've walked in my shoes as well as saying I handled it well! Coming from you, who has such a sweet presence here on GW, means a lot.

raehelen and hilltophome, thank you for reminding me of two of my favorite self-soothers: chocolate and exercise. I really do need to just put the kiddos in the buggy and go out for a walk! Fresh air can do wonders. And if there's a chocolate treat for the three of us to have midway on our walk, all the better. (This is how I know the boys are genetically mine: they both love chocolate. One of my proudest achievements Â.)

divamum, thank you for your impeccable list of daily to-dos and reminder of how hard this is supposed to be .... I'd really thought I was prepared after months of reading (hardships) here on GW, but clearly for some of it I was not. Need to renew my prescription for Perfect Pills! (note to self: first discover "Perfect Pills")

plllog, thank you for telling me to forgive myself. Sometimes that can be the hardest thing for us to do, no? I remember a few years ago a casual acquaintance and I were chatting about how we never, ever heard our parents apologize to us when they were wrong, and how much it would have meant to us to have heard it. Not just because it would have made us feel appreciated but also because it would have been a great model for us in terms of how to behave. Thank you. And I loved your note about my husband relating to spa day! Now there's a brilliant idea. ....

polly929, my hero! I am so sorry about the past two years -- hopefully this leap year will signal the start of something good for you. Bless your heart for working in healthcare (what you must see ...) and having no foul-language filter -- love it!

socalthreems, I have loved following your kitchen and I am grateful for your nice note. I am with you on the no-smoking! And thank you for suggesting those ground rules. They are superb and have already (because of your suggestion) been passed on to the GC. Also, thank you for your perfect description of "feel[ing] the steam rising." That's it! But it seems like lots of the parents with whom I casually chat 'round here are either big-time prevaricators or Stepford Mommies; they absolutely deny getting frustrated with their kiddos (or occasionally bored with hanging out with toddlers all day long). That's when I wonder what in the hell must be wrong with me to feel this way? Many thanks to you and Francy for telling me I'm not alone.

westsider40, from the bottom of my heart I am so sorry about ez (which could not be more apt a description!). I guess it's just easy for me to chalk it up to cultural differences, but I guess some people are just born that way. One silver lining for me is that living with my ez has made me so much stronger, forceful than I ever thought I could be. Because of dealing with his non-presence in many areas I've found a voice (okay, a yelling voice the other day!). I would rather he step up to bat every so often, but I do like the feeling of the empowerment I've developed while living with him.

flyleft and mommycooks, thank you for your generous, unconditional support! Such kindness from people I donÂt even know. You and your notes are what should be in one of those MasterCard "Priceless" commercials! And, flyleft, the insurance with which I'm having trouble is ... United! Imagine that. I am so ticked about this, that medical insurance agencies are for-profit entities, and that now many of them are transferring their call centers off-shore, to minimize what they have to pay (US taxes, US salaries, US health care to their workers, etc.)! I guess I may be one of the stupidest people alive because for the life of me I still cannot understand why denying people legitimate, preventive / proactive healthcare is not as good as letting them get sick, suffer and / or die, or making them wait so that the treatment they will require ends up costing the insurance company even more. Seriously, what am I not getting?

You all are amazing. IÂll never forget this.

• Linda Ross
    16 years ago

We are also in the middle of a huge remodeling project and living in it. Anytime you can microwave from the bed you know you are about at rock bottom.

• remodelqueen
    16 years ago

Ha!!! I feel your pain, and have not even started our kitchen reno yet. We've started updating the kids bedrooms and bath so they will be comfortable during the bigger demo.

So, my cat has wandered out a rudely left-open door too!! When I have someone doing work in/ outside the house, I have to sit all day and make sure nothing is left open or disturbed. What the heck is wrong with some of these workers? They taped plastic over all of my windows and doors because we are patching the stucco after installing new ones. The guy never told us the process was going to take a flippen week!! I have two chihuahuas that need to go outside a few times a day, and 2 large dogs that live outside-- but I still need to feed them and check on them. So, when the workers left, I had to cut through the plastic. THEN, they use my trash can to put all of their debris in!! I have 3 children to cook for, and no trash can to throw the kitchen trash in? There's more, but I'm getting too fired up thinking about it. Hopefully they finish the job tomorrow!

Another guy doing work inside the house called one morning saying he was coming to do some work "today"--- he didn't show up until 7pm!!!!! On a school night. So, we had him do the work then said buh-bye and will find someone else to do the rest. I love how it seems like we have to beg people to come do work for us..... and it's not like we aren't paying them!!!!!

BTW, I have a foul mouth story too- I was driving through a parking lot and I was really frustrated with another driver. My then 3 year old yells from his car seat, "stop b*tch!". OOOPS!!!

• socalthreems
    16 years ago

RMKitchen - see - I knew you were a total sweetheart from the start - writing such a detailed, thoughtful response to all of us during your very rare free time from children and remodeling! Above and beyond!

As for admitting my parenting flaws, I think that comes from going to my monthly parenting class where we (4 moms) admit all the down and dirty to our parenting educator who then tries to set us straight (and so often the advice is to just laugh at yourself - or give yourself a time out!). Usually it is to (a) take yourself OUT of the equation if it is sibling tension, and (b) begin every sentence with "be that as it may..." As in "Be that as it may, you may not cut your sister's hair like the (horrible) Bratz doll you saw in the ToysRUs catalog," or "Be that as it may, WE do not play American Gladiators (that your Dad let you watch!) in the house with your 3 year old sister."

Good luck! In some ways I've found my "steam" less kid-focused during the remodel...maybe because I've found another target???? LOL! I can't wait to see progress pics!