SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahhxilyy

My dog attacked my other dog. HELP!

sarahhxilyy
12 years ago

My parents and I have a total of 5 dogs in our home right now. Three labs, ages 11, 7, and 2. My Mastiff/Amstaff Mix, Tyson, age 3. And a foster, Hershey, just over one year. He is a Pit Bull/Lab Mix. We have had Hershey for about 4 to 5 months now, so he is settled in with the "pack."

We have never had a problem with all of the dogs getting along until recently.

A few weeks ago, I noticed Hershey growling at Tyson in my bedroom when I was petting Hershey and Tyson came towards us. I immediately picked him up and put him in my mother's room with the labs. I haven't had a problem since then, until today.

Earlier today while petting Hershey on a chair in our family room, Tyson jumped up, and Hershey attacked him. I'm assuming out of jealousy or protection. I seperated it quickly, before anyone got hurt, and put them both in their crates until they settled down. I let them out of the crates and they were fine.

About an hour afterwards, I was sitting on the floor in the living room and Hershey came up to me, so again I started petting him. I heard Tyson coming towards us by his nails in the kitchen. Hershey began growling. Tyson walked into the room and Hershey immediately attacked, ripped open Tyson's ear a bit, but over all they were both fine. Again I crated them.

They now have been out of the crate for a few hours, and I won't show either of them affection in fear of what could happen.

Both of them know I am the master. They respect me, do as I say, and never show any signs of aggression. If I stare either in the eye, they bow their head or look away. If I say "No," or "Get down," they do so. They both sleep with me, or on me. They both are crated when no one is home. They receieve the same treatment from everyone in the house.

I have no idea what to do in this situation. The easy way out would be to tell the rescue to find Hershey another foster home, but I know it's not that simple. It's also incredibly difficult for me to get a hold of the woman in charge of the rescue, she still doesn't know what happened.

I feel as if this is either a protective act, or a jealous act by Hershey, but I really don't know. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (18)