SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarro_gw

2 Cairns Fighting

sarro
16 years ago

I own 2 Cairn terriers. I got one as a rescue dog about a year and a half ago. He is about 5 years old and very submissive and wouldn't hurt a fly. We found out 3 months ago that he is nearly blind now due to a genetic disease, PRA. Our groomer (she's also a breeder) then gave us a retired showdog of hers as a "seeing eye dog" for him as a gift. She said that this dog needed a new home because she kept attacking the big Bouvier de Flanders in their house (but never the other Cairns), and she'd be perfect since she was an 8 year old female.

We've had her for about 2 months now and just last night my neighbor brought her 2 collies over to our house. I wasn't very comfortable with it, but let them in anyhow. She said she wasn't staying long. But in that time they were there, when I wasn't looking, my 2 Cairns started fighting. From what I can piece together, the female had attacked the blind male and I could not her her to let go of him. It was horrifying and he was bleeding.

I don't know what to do or what to make of it. My friend said that all 4 dogs had been looking at a bone together before it started. I finally got her off of him and she was trying to bite me so I crated her for a few hours and she kept whining. He seemed happy immediately.

Then I tried to let her out of her crate hours later and he hid behind me while she charged at him again twice chomping her teeth very hard, so I crated her again until this morning. I had to come to work, so I kept them separated all day because I'm afraid he'll get hurt. She didn't seem to want to let up.

If anybody has advice for me, please let me know. I don't want to return her to my groomer because I feel like I'm giving up. But I don't want my blind dog to have a harder time than he already is. And I'm not sure what happened. I know she has a history with attacking big dogs though.

Comments (12)