SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sushipup1

about cooking/salad oils

sushipup1
14 years ago

(Before I start, a very Merry Christmas to all!)

OK, I use EVOO in the big jugs from Costco for about everything, sauteing, salads, etc. I must not use too much because the two-bottle pack lasts me quite a while. I keep the oil I am using in a dark wine bottle with a bar-type pour spout right at the side of the rangetop along side my kosher salt container, and I refill the bottle as needed. I do buy a super-premium EVOO for special salads, too.

And then I have some whatever oil for very mild dishes or for frying chicken or baking. Now, every time I buy this, I stand there for a long time looking at the labels. There's corn oil, 'vegetable' oil, canola oil, peanut oil (which I never buy at those prices), and something called 'blended' oil, whatever that means. I buy one or the other, but am never sure if I am getting the best thing for what I use it for.

So what do you all use for those events when EVOO is not proper? Note, I fry chicken maybe every three or 4 months, the rest of the time we do various saute dishes that are fine with EVOO, sometimes with a taste of butter added. SO I am not looking at buying a large bottle of anything, nor planning on using it up quickly!

What is preferred or best? Thanks, I love you all for all the great advice and recipes and friendship throughout the year!

Comments (15)