SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Cooking oils and location of the new cool bottle

User
14 years ago

I found this nifty bottle at the thirft store for $1 something and love it's shape. I bought an oil bottle at the store and used it's pour/spout thing for the new bottle. Bottle has a green tint to the glass. The pastic cap on top was actually a pen cap that fits well. Since I don't cook often I figured that would help keep it fresh??

I was searching online looking for how to cook with olive oil etc. and discovered all oils have a smoke point, not all oils are created equal and so forth. (olive, sesame, coconut, peanut, etc.)

All this time I was cooking wrong with it! Oops. I had a small amount of olive oil left after a year and the remainder is in the new bottle. It was a tiny bottle of olive oil so that should tell you how often I used it.

I'm sure there are some real foodies on here. Can anyone suggest an oil that's great to cook with and more idiot proof for people that don't love to cook? If I fry anything I usually use butter or water. I also don't care for olives so that could be why the taste doesn't really appeal to me. :)

Like I just said above I really don't care to cook. I think part of it is because I work too so the last thing I want to do when I come home is cook. It's not even really cooking itself I think it's just the time involved with the whole thing. DH sometimes will do it. Other times he'll make one thing while I make something else. Team work! :P Weird enough, I do like to bake.

I'm also a little torn as to what to use the bottle for. This may be a case where practical really is the best choice. I considered using it as a dish soap container after reading a thread a couple weeks ago on that. However, I the looks of it in the basket beside the stove which would make more sense to use some type of oil.

Pics

{{gwi:1511817}}

{{gwi:1511818}}

The washrag isn't dirty. I had used that one for clean up awhile back when painting and it's now stained the wall color. That one was grabbed by accident (DH)

Please add your thoughts/tips about cooking oils and what you think about the location and use of the glass bottle.

Comments (19)