SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliris19

What's the first thing you'll cook in your new kitchen?

aliris19
12 years ago

... not to exclude the experienced among you, I'll entertain entries from this variant to the question: what's the first thing you _cooked_ in your new kitchen?

Me first: I am really tried of boxed cereal; I miss my granola! With that, please feel free to provide a recipe:

[me first - super easy, super good and think how much money you'll save. In my neck of the woods 4 cups of this stuff, less healthy, can sell for $10.

Combine in a giant bowl raw oats, the thicker the better, nuts and grains in about the following respective proportions: raw thick oat flakes:total flour (mixture of several is fine and good):nuts (mixture is likewise good)::8:3:2 [suggestions in no particular order: steel cut oats, ww pastry flour, brewer's yeast, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, buckwheat, corn flour, bran]

Liquid/sweetener: 1-2 cups; greater amount of liquid for clumpier, less for less. Sweeten with your favorite sweetener, honey or syrup are favorites around here - solution is faster obtained by heating the water first. Juice or juice concentrate can work.

Flavoring. Feel free to sprinkle tasty flavors, say cinnamon, cardamom, clove, whatever, into the dry mixture before adding wet. Some flavors pair nicely with certain liquids, say OJ and cinnamon, e.g.

Spread combined dry and wet onto cookie sheets and bake as long as you like at 225-300 or so. I prefer about an hour which gives a very brown, carmelized look and flavor, but the Swiss don't cook their oats at all (="muesli") - YMMV.

Store when cooled, add dried fruits (or fresh) at time of eating, not during storage, else moisture will "bleed" between 'dried' fruit and formerly crispy oats :(

NB absence of oil. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone uses it for granola. Completely unnecessary.]

So *that's* the very first thing slated for concoction. I miss real food.

You? (over).

Comments (36)