SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stbonner_gw

KitchenAid mixers - which model do you have?

stbonner
14 years ago

The "best and worst" thread had so many "bests" listed as a KitchenAid mixer that I was wondering which model you all have. I currently have an Artisan model, and it's fine for most things but struggles with some pound cakes. I have given some thought to upgrading to a Pro 600 model, but I don't know if it is worth the money and the additional space the larger model takes up.

I'm pretty sure Santa would bring me a bigger mixer if I asked, but I'm not sure I want to trade up to the bigger model or not. Thoughts, anyone?

Comments (28)

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

I'm certain this absolutely doesn't pertain to me since I'm still using a 1964 C Model for it's small size/vintage appeal. It has probably kept me from upgrading since I also have extra bowls (SS and glass) and extra beaters, which helps when I need extra egg whites for a cake batter.

I just start with softened butter for pound cakes.

Sadly, I'm probably more an advocate for sticking with the old if it's working for you, which sounds like yours may not be. Once again, I am no help at all...

• Fori
    14 years ago

First off, measure where you store it--the 600 is taller! It's right on the edge of fitting under standard upper cabinets. Before I remodeled, it fit on one side of the kitchen but not the other.

I have the 600 for a year or two but never had a stand mixer before. I mostly use it for bread and if I use a lot of oats, it strains at my 3-loaf whole wheat bread recipe. But it pulls through. It was a gift after telling the spouse I should have one and it was a few dollars more on sale for the big one so...I got the big one.

I don't know if I can recommend it over what you have because I don't know about these things. I like it just fine but it is noisy. There may be better ones. I'm sure it can handle a pound cake. I just wanted to point out what is probably obvious to you--measure!!!!

• Related Discussions

Anyone own a KitchenAid Accolade stand mixer?

Q

Comments (0)
    If so, do you like it? I have been searching for a KA mixer online, and was comparing the Artisan to the Professional 5 Plus. I decided on the Artisan because the Pro 5 Plus is too tall for under my cabs, plus I like the tilt head of the Artisan better. In my search, I found a discontinued model, the Accolade (which was a Williams- Sonoma exclusive sold from late 2004 until 2006 or 2007). Seems like it combines the best features of larger models in a size similar to the Artisan. It has a tilt head, 5 qt bowl, and 400W of power (artisan is 325w). It also has metal gears, which is a nice advantage over the nylon gears that break more easily. But, as I mentioned, it was discontinued about 3-4 yrs ago because the Artisan was so similar and outsold the Accolade which was in the same price range. So the only way to get the Accolade is through eBay or craigslist. There are none on eBay, but I found one on my local craigslist. The seller said it has been gently used (pics look great) and no problems with it at all. She is moving cross country and doesn't want to haul it with her. Price is $150. Sounds like a good deal, but I wanted to see what some of you think first. Should I go with this one which obviously has no warranty, or purchase a new Artisan for $250 (after rebate)? BTW, I read some reviews on amazon of the Accolade, and the vast majority were favorable. One other thing I like about the Accolade is the black pearl color, a very smooth, matte finish. Not that I'd buy it just for the color ;) So, what do you guys think? I have to decide my tomorrow.
    ...See More

What Kitchen Aid Mixer do you recommend? or other brand?

Q

Comments (2)
    KitchenAid has a discussions forum on facebook. From what I've read, if you are going to make bread in a KA mixer, you really need to get a heavy duty Pro model. They are now making the motor without plastic parts on the more expensive models. I do agree that the cooking forum is much more active to get lots of answers about this.
    ...See More

If you have a KA stand mixer, do you need a hand mixer?

Q

Comments (6)
    I use the hand mixer more than I use the stand mixer, except that I keep the cheese grating attachment on the stand mixer, and that gets used almost every day. I also have the meat grinder and ice cream maker attachments, but those do not get used as much. My immersion blender (also KA) has a whisk attachment, and that is great for whipping small amounts of cream, but can get messy if not careful. I mix pancake batter by hand - I never thought of using a mixer for that. Lars
    ...See More

KitchenAid mixer model advise - the rest of the story

Q

Comments (6)
    Sorry. I couldn't edit my thread topic after I posted it, and I have a thing about misspellings!
    ...See More
  • User
    14 years ago

Like Claire, I'm not going to be much help either. I have a 30 year old KA made by Hobart. It has never had to be serviced (touching wood) and handles everything with ease including bread dough.

Ann

• trudy_gw
    14 years ago

Pro 600
    Works great for the Chopped Apple Bread recipe. Have not made a pound cake with this mixer yet.
    Have only had it for a year. Don't know how I ever baked all those years with out it!

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Pro 600 here too. It sits on a Jan Boos butcherblock rolling stand because I can't lift it (bad wrists). I use it where it sits and it works like a champ!

• cotehele
    14 years ago

I have two KA mixers. The K45 was made when Hobart owned the company. I've had no problem with it unless there are more than 7 cups of flour in bread dough. The motor is strong enough to work the dough, but the dough creeps up the hook and into the connecting peg. I use this mixer unless it is a big batch of something. The 'beater blade' that mixes cookie dough much better than the factory issue blade.

To handle larger projects, I have the Pro 600 6 qt. It is larger in every dimension than the K45. It has an s-hook for working dough that slings it out and down rather than up into the peg. No complaints about this mixer, but I have had it about 5 months. If it quits, I hope it is still under warranty.

The K45 is a tilt-head, the Pro 600 is a bowl lift. I actually like the bowl lift better. It is difficult to add ingredients to the tilt-head because there is very little space between the bowl and the mixer head.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I'm a wee bit jealous of those of you who still have your Hobart-built KA's! Mine finally bit the dust a couple years ago after many years of hard use. I gave it to a lady who wasn't going to ever use it for more than frosting or a cake mix. I've been haunting estate sales ever since to see if I can get my hands on another on of that age.

My MIL had one of the newer artisans, which she ended up giving to my SIL when she bought herself the Pro model. Being used to the Hobart-built, she wasn't impressed. I've used both the SIL's and MIl's, and I wasn't impresed either. I think if you're used to a handmixer or Sunbeam type stand mixer, the KA is a great change; but if you're used to the Hobart-built KA's, the newer ones are a real dissapointment.

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

Mine is a KSM90. It works great for me. I don't think it would have trouble with a pound cake, but my pound cakes come from a mix. I do use it for some bread dough. I can make a single batch of my sour dough recipe, and do the artisan bread in it. It's a bit small for my DS's cheesecake recipe, but it does work. I got him one last Christmas that has a 6 qt bowl, don't remember the model.

Tami

• kandm
    14 years ago

I really love my Pro6 although it takes up a lot of space and is pretty heavy. I like the ergonomic handle and the large bowl capacity as well the mixer's power. After 7 or 8 years it has only needed a repair once and that was for a simple gear replacement.

• country_smile
    14 years ago

I have the K45 since the 80's. The only repair it needed was to replace the cord after a small kitchen fire. I considered buying a bigger one because when I make cookie batter, I usually end of making two separate batches. (A double batch in the K45 makes for a really full bowl.) But, I wouldn't have a good place to store it because of it's size and I don't want it on the counter. Besides, what would I do with my present one?

• amck2
    14 years ago

My first was a tilt-head Artisan that I got for Christmas 10 years ago. Having only had mid-end hand mixers (burned out at least 1/2 dozen, I think) I was over the moon with my KA.

About 5 yrs. ago I got the 6 qt. Pro model. Gave DS my 5 qt. which he hauled out to grad school in CA. When he moved to Denmark last year he gave it back to me to use at the lakehouse.

If I could only have one, it would be the Pro. I prefer the lift bowl and appreciate the extra power when mixing heavy doughs. However, I did find it odd when I first got the bigger one, when making smaller recipes or whipping egg whites or heavy cream it seemed too big.

The plastic speed button split in half on the Artisan during the first year I had it. I contacted KitchenAid to see if I could buy a replacement to glue on. They said they didn't sell them, but had me return my whole machine and replaced it with a new one. They paid all the shipping charges.

That's the only problem I've ever had with either of them.

I've always swooned over the beautiful colors they show them in, but in the end bought both of them in Classic White. In my next life I will be courageous and bold, LOL!

• kandm
    14 years ago

My KA food processor has a mini bowl for chopping up small ammounts. I wonder if KA would ever design a mini bowl for the Pro6?

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I have the Pro6 and love it. I've had it for 5 or 6 years, had the artisan before it.

• bons
    14 years ago

They do make a smaller bowl for the Pro 6. I believe it's sold exclusively through Williams Sonoma. I'd love to have one but it's too expensive for my (unemployed) budget right now.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: KA Pro 6 smaller bowl

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'm another of those who have the old Hobart K45 and the KA Pro6. The Pro6 is heavy and tall, though ironically I don't think it's much heavier than the K45, just bulkier.

I've had it two years now and it's performed like a champ. Today I used the new Beater Blade (which lived up to its claims - I didn't scrape the sides of the bowl at all) and made 6 fruitcake loaves with no problems.

Carol

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

KA Professional 5. I love it! Make bread in it every week.

• kandm
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link Bonnie, you're right it is pretty steep for what amounts to a bowl with arms. Having some arms welded on to a stainless steel bowl might be a better bet.

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I went from using hand helds that I hated to an Artisan 5 qt. I am happy for now :->

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

I am the very grateful owner of a KA 5-qt. Artisan -- got it a few Christmases ago, and have used it regularly ever since. I've used it for pound cakes many times, and it has made them perfectly without a hitch. I personally don't have a problem with the tilt head; in fact, I prefer it.

I've noticed that a number of cooks on TV use them. They do such a great job for them, I figure they must be good mixers! :-)

*BTW -- did anyone catch Paula Deen's show this evening, when she made Kentucky Pie? I wrote down the recipe as she called it out, and hope I got it right. Two are cooling right now, and DH and DC are waiting impatiently. If they turn out half as good as they smell, they'll become a holiday staple here.

• ci_lantro
    14 years ago

Another one with the Hobart K45. I wish I had bought the next size larger because, as previously mentioned, it just isn't quite big enough for a double batch of cookie dough. And there's really not much point of making a single batch of cookies in my household. So I make double batches & wrestle with keeping all the dough in the bowl.

That said, I'm still really happy that I own it.

Haven't made a lot of bread with it over the years but, when I did, it worked great. Nowdays, I make a lot more bread but haul out the breadmaker because it's so easy & almost nothing to clean up after. That, & I can buy bread machines for next to nothing all summer long at rummage sales. So, it keeps the bread-making wear & tear to cheap, easy to replace machines.

• gellchom
    14 years ago

I have the Artisan, and I'm very satisfied with it. I use it all the time to make a big batch of very sticky challah dough (3 good sized loaves or 4 minis), and it handles it just fine. The grinder attachment is great, too. My mom made chopped liver with it for Thanksgiving -- mmmmm.

• joydee12
    14 years ago

I have the Pro 600 series in silver (sorta to match stainless steel). Had it 3 yrs. now. I use it for whatever I used to mix by hand, etc. Cookie doughs, meatloaf, even use to mash potatoes. It does NOT fit in any of my cabinets, & too big and heavy to be lugging from closets floors, etc, so, it has a permanent home on my countertop. It's pricey, but, mine has already paid for itself. I say: go for it.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Stand mixer is a Retro Stainless Kitchen Aid C3 here, was my mothers. I had a Pro line, but gave to the neighbor I don't use stand mixers that often anymore.

• arley_gw
    14 years ago

I have the 350 watt model, and it's a bit wimpy. Managed to snag a Hobart at an auction, so I don't use the KA anymore.

FWIW, I was perusing a Cooks Illustrated at the newsstand (I'm one of those cheapskates that often doesn't buy a magazine if I can remember what it said when I was glancing at it) and if I remember correctly, the two mixers that CI liked were the KA Pro 600 watt machine and the Cuisinart mixer. Can anyone verify this?

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Carol, what made you choose the Beater Blade and not the SideSwipe? I'm trying to decide between them, with the added complication of a bowl-lift old KitchenAid that is not adjustable.
    Both companies say it should work. And I'm not sure which design is best. Much internet research; inconclusive results.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I was gifted many many years ago with the K45, so though I might have preferred a larger model, I certainly can't complain. And I have to say the size of the bowl is the only limitation. I have used and used that old mixer to the very limit and have never had a stall or problem.

I bought the Beater Blade before the SideSwipe was available (or maybe I just didn't realize it was around). I understand there have been some complaints about the SideSwipe, but I can't speak to those because I have no experience.

The Beater Blade truly works. I don't have to scrape the bowl at all, and after years of doing that, I'm nothing short of amazed. However, I do have to say it's more of a pain to clean and occasionally I do stop the machine to scrape around the beater itself, so you can take your shortcomings. There's always something. All-in-all, though, I do prefer it to the standard beater.

Carol

• nancylouise5me
    14 years ago

We have had the KA Ultra power for many years. It has 300 watts on power. We have been very pleased with it. All sorts of dough haven't bogged it down yet. Cookie, pie, bread doughs all get mixed well. We also bought the beater blades. No scraping of the bowls are needed. They really do work! I asked Wayne if he wanted a newer more powerful KA for Christmas and he said no this one still does the job so no need for a new one. KA mixers do last a long time. NancyLouise

• adoptedbygreyhounds
    14 years ago

I wasnÂt going to post to this thread at first because you asked specifically about Kitchen Aids. However, I think you ought to consider the Cuisinart 5.5 quart.

CookÂs Illustrated reviewed high end mixers, and among several other mixers, gave the following rankings:
    Highly Recommended: Cuisinart 5.5 Quart Stand Mixer $349.
    Recommended: KitchenAid Professional 600 Stand Mixer $399.
    Recommended with Reservations: KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer $249.99.

The Cuisinart has an 800 watt motor, the KA Pro has 575 watts and the Artisan has 325 watts.

You can read CookÂs Illustrated reasons for their rankings in the link below.

A friend of DD works in a high end kitchen shop. They have several different mixers in use in their demo kitchen where they give classes. He said he prefers the KA Artisan for looks, but for performance he would choose the Cuisinart, hands down.

My Cuisinart 5.5 is only a few weeks old, but I am very pleased with it. There are some really good sales going on right now. I paid $275 for mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Forum thread with Cook's Illustrated article