SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
punamytsike

Starting to freak out :-/

punamytsike
13 years ago

We are now in a new country (Central America) and my DH birthday is coming up in 2 weeks. He wants to thanks all his new friends who have helped us this far by throwing a large birthday party. It has a potential of being the largest party I have ever hosted and it is starting to freak me out.

There are many things that make it real challenge. All new culture, we are just learning what is customary here. This is not too bad, as they know we are fearly fresh gringos and I think some mishaps will be forgiven because of that. What makes me most nervous is that I have hard time coming up how much food I need to make. I included in the invitation that please let us know if you are coming and my DH is supposed to ask if they are coming, how many. But it this culture, it is OK to bring your extended family and even close friends to these kinds of events. So I could have 20 people, or 50 or more and somehow I have to be preprepared to deal with it.

My thoughts this far:

Potato and pasta salad prepared day ahead. (How much should I make?)

We are hoping that we will have the smoker in next few days, so I can learn to use it, and then we will have smoked chicken and fish as our meat. Again how much should I prepare?

No idea what cake to make and how much. I have been baking banana(pineapple) bread daily and everyone loves it, so I might make some, so it is available, but want something more special as birthday cake.

Any ideas, how to make it less stressful for me, would be highly appreciated. Anything that could be made a day ahead, is helpful. Any ideas how to calculate how much to make something that will not go to total waist if not consumed? We are on a limited budget:-/ I need something also for people to snack on before the main meal is served. People tend to not be on time here. Showing up an hour or two later is nothing unexpected. So I see people coming and going all day long.

At the parties we have attended, people are served portions on the plates. I cannot see doing that to 50+ people alone, so I was thinking of setting up a buffet type of setting, so everyone can serve themselves. This is new concept here, so there are all kinds of possibilities why and what can go wrong, but I cannot see myself doing anything different and surviving it and maybe even enjoying this whole event a little.

The party is to start at 2pm and will last until 7pm or so latest, as it will be dark by then and it will be outside.

As you can see from my unusually long and verbose post, I am freaking out LOL

Comments (32)