SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristenfl

Galley Kitchen Granite

kristenfl
16 years ago

I went to Home Expo on Wednesday and I took advantage of a 10% off plus $300 off offer. They usually don't overlap like that.

I have a white galley kitchen that was built in 1988. It has the standard European white formica cabinets, with gray speckled formica counters. It has always looked nice. I recently put in a new porcelain gray tile. It has little bits of white and black in it. It is beautiful. I also have stainless steel and black appliances.

We have decided not to do a total kitchen makeover. We have decided to do a new sink and countertop, and perhaps new cabinet doors.

Our sink is leaking, so the counter and new sink must be done first. After seeing it in a kitchen at Expo, I choose the Luna Nero Stonemark granite. Now, I'm starting to freak out that I made the wrong choice. (After reading many posts here, it sounds like freaking out is something that most people do during a kitchen makeover) Whatever I do I'll have to stick with, because we're not rich and my choices have to last! I took home an absolute tile that looked just like it. I told the kids to pour their milk on it, and to touch it all they wanted. It was a total mess.

I went down to the stoneyard yesterday and talked to the people about stone. I love modern things, and want my kitchen to have that look. I also don't want my countertop to compete or clash with the floor. I loved the look of the Nero again, and also liked the honed and color enhanced version of it. I was told that the tile probably wasn't sealed so it would show more prints and such. I also saw a slab of Steel Gris that was simply stunning. I ruled the later out by putting the floor right next to it. Later we looked at sinks, and I noticed that on the displays, they had lovely floors with patterned granite that looked great. I hate that they don't have pieces for you to take home to look at in your own setting. I wonder if the Steel Gris might be an interesting look and open the kitchen up.

Any advice?

Comment (1)