SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

What went wrong this year and what will you now do differently?

Lars
14 years ago

My Christmas was rather unpleasant, but I felt an obligation to my parents. I had to do Christmas dinner for 18 pretty much by myself, but I did ask others to bring dessert, since all I made for that was candy. That worked out rather well.

Because my niece and nephew now have in-laws to whom they also have obligations, I proposed to move Christmas to mid-March and got a general agreement on that. My niece told me not to have it the third week in March because that's when they have South by Southwest in Austin. At first she tried to tell me that plane tickets would cost more at that time and that traffic would be a problem, but I told her that I was not concerned about that - I'm coming from L.A. afterall and any crowd in Austin will not phase me. Then she admitted that the real reason was that she wanted to be in Austin for the event, and I told her that she should have admitted that from the beginning. My other proposed month was October (which would be fun for Oktober Fest in New Braunfels), but my nephew has his wedding anniversary and daughter's birthdy in October, which will keep them busy that month. October and March are the only two months when the weather in Texas is predominantly nice.

I didn't have any food issues this year, to speak of, although I did do things differently from last time, and I pared down the menu. I made most of the side dishes the day before and heated them up Christmas morning.

Lars

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations