SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
centralcacyclist

I can't choose what to bring to a NYE party. Which one?

centralcacyclist
15 years ago

This is a party of a local social club of campers, diners, music lovers, art walkers, sailors, hikers, cyclists, back packers, etc. called the Adventure Club. Ages range from 40ish to 80ish. Married couples and intrepid singletons both. At meetings there are usually 25-30 people.

I haven't had the time to attend any outings and missed the holiday party but I am going to this potluck party. I don't have an oven right now, just a toaster oven, so I looked for no-cook hors d'oeuvres. Here are my choices:

Ann's Crab and Endive

Fills about 24 leaves

1 2-oz. can whole pimentos

1 green onion

1 shallot

1/2 lb. cooked crab meat

1 tsp. prepared mustard

2 tsp. lemon juice

2-4 Tbl. mayonnaise

Salt and pepper

Paprika

3 Belgian endives

Chop 1 pimento (reserve the remainder for another use), the green onion, and the shallot. Combine the crab meat, mustard, lemon juice, green onion, shallot, and 2 Tbl. of the mayonnaise, adding more if needed. Add the pimento and season to taste with salt, pepper, and paprika. To prepare the Belgian endive cut off 1 inch from the root end; carefully separate each leaf. Stuff Belgian endive leaves with crab meat filling.

My half recalled recipe of:

Cream cheese

Chicken breasts, poached and chopped

Chutney, chopped fine

Peanuts, chopped fine

Curry powder

Maybe some green onion or chives

Combine ingredients, shape into walnut sized balls and roll in chopped parsley. I plan to use cilantro instead.

I also found this:

Dried Apricots with Goat Cheese and Pistachios

Gourmet September 1999

To ensure you get moist, beautiful-looking apricots, avoid those sold in boxes and bags that you cant see through. If you buy Turkish apricots, keep in mind that theyÂre usually sold pitted but whole and, unlike most California apricots, will need to be halved horizontally.

Yield: Makes 150 hors d'oeuvres

Active Time: 40 min

Total Time: 1 hr

Ingredients

150 dried apricot halves (2 pounds)

1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice

1 1/2 cups shelled pistachios, 1/2 of them toasted

1 pound soft mild goat cheese, chilled

Preparation

Toss apricots with juice and let stand, tossing occasionally, 20 minutes.

Chop all pistachios, preferably by hand, and season with salt. Drain apricots, cut sides up, on paper towels. Top each with a small chunk of cheese and sprinkle with nuts.

Cooks' note:

You can assemble these 1 day ahead and chill them, covered, but they can't be stacked and will take up a lot of refrigerator space.

I don't want to take a cracker/cheese thing. I suspect there will be lots of those as well as items from the frozen case at Costco.

I wouldn't mind stuffing some pea pods, either, if someone has a good filling recipe to share. Not original but I like them and I think they are pretty!

If I were really lazy I'd make some deviled eggs and top them with a variety of stuff...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!