SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Custom bathroom window.

15 years ago

Hi:

I am posting this over here because this forum gets a lot of traffic.

Here is some background to explain the feasibility of what I want to do--feasibility isnt the issue--$$ is. Skip the next paragraph if you want to get to the meat of the matter.

I found the bricked up window opening in my bathroom, and determined that it was bricked up in 1965, 80 years after the house next door was built, so it did look out Over the other roof, it was not removed in 1885 because the other roof is in the way. It is part of an association, so it is the same "property". If the board approves it, I am ok in that regard.

I have room for a window of rough opening 28" square. My "full bells and whistles" window is a reproduction of the inswinging casements in the stairwells of some of the buildings: two concentric circles in a square, with spokes. It ends up being a 13-lite window. My second choice would be a square with panes (a 4-lite window)

Marvin clad exterior pricing on 13-lite: $7200

Full custom shop on 13-lite: $7800

Weathershield, Norwood,Marvin in slight variations on the 13-lite or the 4-lite all in the $3000-3800 range. Some of the 13-lite windows are less than the 4-lite, depending.

Marvin 4-lite clad outswinging casement: $1200

Full custom local shop push out casement: $1700

(Marvin and custom shop had the highest bids for 13-lite, lowest for 4-lite)

They all seem rather expensive to me; keep in mind this does include the upcharge of my contractor since I did not want to do the spec's and legwork on this one myself. Even though I will be looking out over a roof at rusty vent pipes, I will need to do an historic window.

The $7000 option is out but are these other prices in line? We are running a rehab where the Jeldwen Windows came in at 24 windows for $15,000. The homeowner got great pricing because of some professional connections.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022