SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mangotoo

stuffed cabbage

mangotoo
15 years ago

I have two heads of cabbage farmed picked. I want to make something my mother made so very good! The cabbage was stuffed with chopped meat and rice and then simmered in tomato sauce.

Can someone please tell me how to prepare this.

Comments (57)

• mangotoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

many thanks. Going to try all of 'em

• Kay
    15 years ago

I make it with sauerkraut, similar to Malna's recipe. When it's done, I add sour cream or plain yogurt, just gently adding it atop the mixture. The sauerkraut really makes this dish extra good -- and it's great with mashed potatoes!

• Related Discussions

Reviving old thread (Dec 2008) + Savoy/Napa Cabbage

Q

Comments (15)
    Yes, Pauline, guess it's not just me. I had that problem too. I love Savoy cabbage and do prefer it, except that it can be two or three times as expensive as regular cabbage here. Loved your video DCArch. [really, reallly loved the pounding a tall stake trick...going to do that one for sure. Thanks] Savoy cabbage is much more tender and it's pretty. Smiles. For something that is going to take the time it takes to make stuffed cabbage I usually manage to afford the Savoy. Lars, I think using the Napa is a great idea. So what if they make a smaller roll. Sounds good to me and I'm going to try it. Being more tender/quick cooking makes them similar to the Savoy in that respect. Thanks for the idea. I can be either very lazy or unable to sit for long times rolling cabbage so more often I make a stuffed cabbage casserole by just layering the cabbage, filling and tomato juice/sauce. Tastes great.
    ...See More

Stuffed Cabbage . . . discuss

Q

Comments (23)
    THANKS again for all the hand holding/help. The dinner was quite nice although a lot of work to get the house in order, so I simplified the menu quite a bit, plus I sort of had a headache all day. I had hot spiced cider (yum), lowfat cheddar cheese and crackers (BF's idea on the "low fat" cheese, an oxymoron if I ever heard one), low fat spinach artichoke dip, rye bread (from the store, not my bread machine), store bought and slightly doctored squash soup, marinated mushroom salad, cucumber and sour cream/scallion salad over torn romaine, and the cabbage rolls. Even though the pear cake would have been perfect, I just wasn't up to it so BF bought cheesecake and chocolate cake at the market. I made something approximating Ruthanna's recipe, only with ground turkey flavored with 1 tsp. Penzeys Bavarian seasoning (I had to do something with it), and 1 TBLSP dried onions. The sauce was my home canned italian style tomato sauce (with carrots, onions and celery, but not italian seasoning), cider vinegar and a little sugar, and 1.5 tsp. paprika and dash or corriander. I mixed in a yellow squash, red onion and carrots with the sauce. I did it in the crockpot but finished in the oven with my braising pan. While I was starting the layering in the crockpot, and just had the first layer of tomato sauce in the crockpot, I went to move it with wet hands or something . . . and the crock fell off the counter, shattered into a gazillion pieces and splattered tomato sauce all over my kitchen. Luckily I had another crock from my last crockpot that the heating element went out on. But it took me considerable time getting off all the tomato sauce from the kitchen, especially from all the nooks and crannies in the radiator. I'll be making these again, hopefully with less accidents.
    ...See More

Need a Tried & True Stuffed Cabbage Recipe!

Q

Comments (1)
    I par-boil the cabbage leaves, lay them flat, slather some olive oil on them, fill them with hamburger, spanish rice (from the can), a bit of tomato sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese over them. I secure the rolls with wooden toothpicks, place them in a greased casserole dish and pop them in a 350 degree oven until I think they are heated through - about 30 minutes. When I take them out, I top them with more cheese and tomato sauce - YUM!
    ...See More

RECIPE: stuffed cabbage stoup

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for posting this - I see it on the table this weekend! Did you really like the dill? Everything sounds really great until I get to the dill - I'm trying to decide whether to include it or not. Would the soup suffer without it? seagrass
    ...See More
  • blizlady
    15 years ago

Thank you malna for posting that recipe. I am also Hungarian, and this is exactly how my grandma and great grandma made their stuffed cabbage. I sometimes use all ground beef, but my grandma always used a combination of ground pork and beef. Don't forget to serve with a dollop of sour cream!

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

Every summer, our church auxiliary makes more than 1000 stuffed cabbage rolls to serve at our summer festival. After the cabbage heads have given up their large leaves, we core and chop them to make halushki. Chopped cabbage and onion are carmelized in butter until golden brown and then mixed with homemade noodle squares. It's a good way to use up the partially cooked centers of the heads.

• malna
    15 years ago

Ruthanna,
    Funny you should mention halushki. That was dinner last night. Found cabbage on the produce sale table at the grocery store - four small cabbages for 50 cents!

• jessyf
    15 years ago

I know you didn't ask for soup recipes, but I just made sweet and soup cabbage soup that was inhaled by the kids. Can't resist posting.

Browned about 3 lbs. of beef ribs, tossed in a can of 6-in-1 brand tomatos (pretty sweet to begin with), chopped onions, caraway seeds, minced garlic, couple bay leaves, chicken bouillion, 2 tsp of sour salt (citric acid) and about 1/2 cup or to taste brown sugar. Oh yeah and about half a large head shredded cabbage. Simmered until the meat was falling off the bones.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Malna that looks delicious! I need the recipe for halushki , I can wing it based on Ruthanna's description but are the noodles just like I would make regular home made noodles?

I also love the sounds of your cabbage roll recipe with the layers of sauerkraut. Will be trying that as soon as my stash in the freezer is gone.

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

So I hinted to my wife that dinner would be a mixture of Greek and Polish. Her guess - kielbasa with yogurt. I think not. Onions are sauteing as I write - somehow avgolomono and stuffed cabbage sounds like an odd mix to me, but I'm taking Ann T's word for it!

• malna
    15 years ago

Chase,
    Sure - you can wing it. Here's my recipe (I sat myself down a couple of years ago and wrote out our Hungarian family cookbook, so some of the comments in the recipes are "family" oriented comments :-)

Káposzta Tészta (Cabbage and Noodles)
    1 package (16 oz) egg noodles (we like big homemade noodles or store bought bowties)
    1 head green cabbage (medium), slivered
    1 - 2 onions, chopped (preferably sweet onions, like Vidalia or Mayan)
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
    Salt to taste
    Pepper or paprika to taste

1. Melt 1/2 of the butter in a large frying pan. Once melted, add the onion and cook until soft but not brown.
    Add slivered cabbage (cut cabbage in half, put cut side down, then slice into 1/4" strips) and a pinch or
    two of salt. Some of the relatives add a pinch of sugar as well. Cook over medium heat until the cabbage
    cooks down and starts to get a little golden brown.
    2. Boil the noodles according to the package directions (or if youre using homemade ones, cook them until
    theyre done). Then add the other 1/2 of the butter to the noodles to coat (keep warm if the cabbage isnt
    done yet) and add to the cabbage. Continue to cook for about 5 minutes until the whole mixture is heated
    through. Add salt and paprika to taste.

Bill likes to add bacon fry 4 to 6 strips of bacon and remove from pan and chop. Sauté the onion and cabbage
    in the bacon fat instead of the butter. Use butter on the noodles, though. If the mood strikes you, add caraway
    seeds or dill seeds (cook in with the cabbage).

And my recipe for
    Grandma's Noodles:

Grandma S. made these so often that her cutting board had notches worn into it, the width of a noodle apart,
    from cutting thousands and thousands of noodles.

Her Original Recipe (from the 1953 St. Pauls Lutheran Church, Monessen, PA cookbook)

One cup flour, 1 egg, pinch salt, cold water.
    Mix ingredients and add water until dough is easy to work without sticking. Knead well. Roll out on floured
    board to one sixteenth inch thickness. Let dry until it can be cut without sticking to knife. Cut into any
    shape desired. Cook in salt water.
    To store Dry out thoroughly.

Well, I just couldnt get these to come out how I wanted so I played around (one of the reasons my family cookbook has
    taken sooo long to finish) and came up with a slightly richer variation that works better with my pasta machine:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup durum flour (or increase all-purpose flour to 2-1/2 cups)
    1 pinch salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup milk
    1 tablespoon butter

1. In large bowl, stir together flour and salt, and then add the beaten eggs, milk and butter. Knead dough
    until smooth, about 5 minutes. Let rest in a lightly greased, covered bowl for at least 1 hour. (If using only
    all purpose flour, you may not need to let the dough rest this long maybe only 15 or 20 minutes.) Dough
    should be sticky.
    2. Divide dough into smaller portions. Keep dough covered while rolling out other portions. On a floured
    surface, roll out to 1/4" to 1/8" thick. Take the rolled pieces and run them through a pasta machine. (Or if
    youre a whiz with a rolling pin, ignore the pasta machine steps and roll out to about 1/16" thick.) On my
    Atlas pasta machine, I use roller setting #6 for the final pass.
    3. Cut into whatever size and shape you want. Let air dry (I lay them out on one of Gram's tablecloths)
    before cooking. Heat pot of water to boiling, add a couple of pinches of salt. Cook until done (time will
    depend how long youve let them dry). This recipe makes a lot of noodles, so we freeze the leftovers rather
    than trying to completely dry them.

This recipe makes great lasagna noodles and fettuccine, too.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Malna thank you so much...I will be making this soon!

So while I have your attention got a Paprikas recipe to share? Chicken pork or veal.....matters not!

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Yum!

Malna, my mother was born in Budapest and makes Káposzta Tészta almost exactly the same way you do. I prefer the bacon verson too and add LOTS of black pepper to mine.

I am also interested in seeing your recipes for borjupörkölt and sertespörkölt.

Thanks

Alexa

• lindac
    15 years ago

I am drooling.....and have a yummy beef stew going....but craving a sweet/sour, tomatoey garlickey stuffed cabbage!!

My recipe is from my college friend's Jewish Hungarian mother....no pork!! LOL!

Cabbage Rolls from
    Sara Rosen

Separate cabbage leaves by putting head of cabbage in a large pot of boining water and lettint ti sit for 20 minutes or so.
    Separate out individual leaves and fill with the following:
    Mix together....
    2 pounds lean ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 cup beef broth....or water
    1/4 cup uncooked long grain rice.
    2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
    Pepper to taste
    Mix together and place about 1 1/2 Tablespoons full in each cabbage leaf, roll up and fasten with a tooth pick.
    Meanwhile....shred the rest of the cabbage, an onion, a couple stalke of celery finly sliced and a carrot chopped fine, and a 1 pound 12 0oz can of whole tomatoes.
    Place cabbage rolls in a Dutch oven alternatly with a mixture of the veggies in layers.
    Add water to almost cover the cabbage rolls and between 1/2 and 3/4 cups brown sugar, juice of a lemon and a crushed clove of garlic.
    Cover the rolls and sauce with a couple of whole cabbage leaves and top with a drizzle of catsup over all.
    And bake in a 250 degree oven for 4 hours......check often to see that it doesn't cook dry.

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Hmmmm I bought some Hungarian paprika when I was in Canada and would love to put it to use, so will probably try something from this thread soon! Thanks all for recipes.

SharonCb

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Oh Malna, that looks delicious. If I'd seen that picture earlier I would have made that for dinner. Can't wait to try it.

Ann

• Virginia7074
    15 years ago

I love stuffed cabbage and this recipe is my favorite, from Jean Brody's Good Food Cookbook. I leave the beef bones out though. I haven't made these in quite a while, but I'm sure my DD will gobble them up, so I need to make them soon.

Sweet and Sour Stuffed Cabbage
    From Jane Brodys "Good Food Book"

1 large head cabbage (2 or 3 pounds)
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 large onion, sliced
    1 16-ounce can tomatoes with their juice, coarsely chopped
    salt, if desired, to taste
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
    beef bones, about 1 pound (optional)
    1 pound very lean ground beef
    ¼ cup grated onion
    3 tablespoons uncooked rice (white or brown)
    3 tablespoons water
    1 egg
    2 cups (approximately) boiling broth
    1/3 cup golden raisins
    ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
    ¼ to ½ cup honey, to taste

1. Boil cabbage in large pot of water, 5 to 10 min. When cool enough to handle, gently remove leaves. Reboil inner leaves, if necessary, to soften. Use just the tender, whitish leaves for rolling. Shred the tough outer leaves and small inner leaves for the sauce.

2. Melt butter in deep, heavy saucepan, Dutch oven or roasting pan. Add onions and brown lightly. Add tomatoes with juice, about ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper, beef bones and shredded cabbage. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered about 30 min.

3. For cabbage, combine beef, grated onion, rice, water, egg, another ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Place 1-1/2 to 3 tablespoons of meat mixture toward the stem of each leaf. Fold in the shorter sides, then roll from the stem to form a fairly tight, compact roll or "ball".

4. Add broth to sauce, mixing well. Add cabbage rolls to pan and cook slowly over low heat for 1-1/2 hours.

5. Add raisins, lemon juice and honey (start with ¼ cup and taste before adding more), distributing these ingredients as evenly as possible. Cook cabbage, uncovered, 30 min. longer.

Makes 12 to 18 medium-sized rolls

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Ann T - When I opened the dish, my wife showed the same hesitation that I had when I read your Greek recipe. But when we dug in we both agreed it was delicious and a keeper. Thanks for a great meal.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Oh I'm so glad that you enjoyed the Greek Cabbage rolls. Thanks for posting. I was hoping you would let me know.

Ann

• cream_please
    15 years ago

Malna, your recipe sounds wonderful!

I can see that it's been waaaay too long since I've made cabbage rolls. (:

Cream

• malna
    15 years ago

Wow, who would have thought Hungarian food was so popular :-)

Chase,
    Here's how my family makes Paprikas:

Paprikas Csirke with Nokedli

1 onion, chopped
    2 tablespoons shortening
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons salt
    1-1/2 cups water (I use chicken broth)
    4 to 5 lb, chicken, disjointed (I use chicken thighs)
    1/2 pint sour cream

Brown onion in shortening, add seasonings and chicken. Brown 10 minutes. Add water, cover and let simmer slowly
    until tender. Remove chicken, add sour cream to drippings in pan and mix well. Add nokedli, arrange chicken on top.
    Heat through and serve. For more gravy, add 1/2 pint sweet cream to sour cream.

Aunt Irenes Nokedli Recipe
    3 eggs, beaten
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup water
    Mix all ingredients together and beat with spoon. Drop batter by teaspoon-full into boiling salted water. Cook about 10 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water. Drain well and add to paprikash.

Alexa,

Yum, I love pörkölt.

This is the way I remember my mother cooking pörkölt. Hers was always just "meat and potatoes" - no vegetables. DH's family is from another part of Hungary, and he makes it more like gulyas (usually with pork, lots of vegetables and more "brothy" than mine).

1 pound stew beef, cut into cubes
    1 onion, chopped
    1 - 2 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 - 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (if Im using tender new potatoes, I leave the skin on)
    1 to 1-1/2 cups beef broth or water (sometimes Ill add a dash of red wine)
    1 - 2 dollops tomato paste (optional) or more to taste
    1/2 pint sour cream

Dredge beef cubes in seasoned flour (I use paprika, salt and garlic powder). Brown in small amount of olive oil or butter until nice and golden brown on all sides. Remove beef and add onions and garlic to the pan, cooking until golden. Add the potatoes and more paprika; saute until just golden.

Add the meat back to the pan and add 1 to 1-1/2 cups beef broth (or water). Stir in tomato paste. Simmer (about an hour) until beef is very tender and potatoes are soft. Add more broth or liquid if needed. Stir in sour cream.

I like to serve this over noodles with roasted carrots as a side dish.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I love your paprikas recipe! It is totally authentic sounding to me. Mine is again so similar - except I add just a tiny bit of caraway (to taste) to the onion when they are sauteed. I do understand there are regional differences when making certain dishes, but I never grasped why people put green peppers, tomato paste, whole chunked tomatoes, etc in the dish and called it paprikas.

My nokedli recipe is also very similar with slightly different proportions. This is not a dough that would "drop" easily, it is almost like a soft bread dough, hence the cutting board and knife.

Mom's Hungarian Nokedli

3 cups flour
    1 cup cold water
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    butter

Add the water, eggs and salt to the flour in a large bowl.
    Mix well. Cover the bowl with a terry cloth towel until you are ready to use. Fill a large pot with water and add salt to taste. Bring to boil. Wet a wooden cutting board and put 1/3 of the dough on it. Using a sharp knife, flick 1 inch strips into the water.
    Stir the pot occasionally and keep the water at a simmer.
    Cook for 5-10 minutes after the last batch is added.
    Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add with the nokedli to a dish and keep in a low, warm oven until ready to serve.
    Serve with Chicken Paprikash, Stuffed Cabbage or braised meat dishes.

I know plum season is gone - but let's compare notes on Szilvas Gombocs too!

Here is the way my mom makes them.....

Szilvas gomboc
    Hungarian Plum Dumplings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 1/2 dz. Free Stone Italian plums, washed, split, pit removed
    4 or 5 medium sized Potatoes
    1 egg beaten
    4 cups of flour (unsifted)
    1 tsp. salt
    Buttered bread crumbs
    Sugar
    Cinnamon
    Peel potatoes and cook in salted water till soft.
    Drain and peel.
    Put potatoes through a ricer while warm and add to sifted flour and salt on a kneading surface.
    Make a well and add egg and knead gently till all is blended.
    On a clean floured surface, roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick (or a little less).
    Cut dough into 4 inch squares and put a plum into center of each square.
    Place 1/2 tsp. sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon in the hole of the plum.
    Fold corners to the middle and roll the dumpling in your hands till round.
    Cook a few dumplings at a time in salted water for about 10 minutes until they float. Remove with a slotted spoon.

Place in a pan in which bread crumbs have been toasted in butter (one cup crumbs to 1/4 cup butter) and mixed with 1/2 cup of sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon.
    Keep warm.

When all the dumplings have been cooked and are in the pan, gently spoon the bread crumbs, butter, sugar and cinnamon mix over all.

• malna
    15 years ago

Yes, I shudder when I see paprikas recipes that have peppers and tomatoes in them. Might as well eat salsa if you're going to do that, LOL.

My grandmother would make szilva gomboc, but strangely, none of our family liked them very much. We must have all inherited my father's taste buds. My cousin, though, was happy, because she would get to eat them all! But my Gram's were exactly like your mom's.

Speaking of my father - he has requested Káposzta Rétes (Cabbage Strudel) for Christmas which has to taste exactly the way he remembers it (yikes!). I'm trying to figure out what my grandmother put in the filling (besides cabbage, of course). Hers was sweet - I wonder if she put apples in it? Does your family make that? My dad is 88 years young, so I don't have the heart to disappoint him. I wish I'd paid more attention when she was making it.

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Malna - that isn't one I recall, but I have to call my mom later this morning anyway. I will ask her about it. Glad we are on the same page with paprikas! (wink)

Alexa

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Malna , that sounds so good! On the list for next weeks dinner for sure!

Alexa I hada polish lady that lived downstairs from me when I was young and single. She made similar plum dumplings. She didn't use the topping though she mixed some sugar into sour cream and served that over them, to die for! to die for!

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Malna, your chicken Paprikas is identical to the one that I make. I serve it with Spaetzle. Is Nokedli the same as Spaetzle. The only difference I see is that I use milk instead of water and a pinch of nutmeg.

I don't want tomatoes or peppers in my paprikas or in my gulyas either. The Gulyas recipe I use is basically the same as your pörkölt. That is a new name for me. I love
    Hungarian food.

I hope you will share your Cabbage Strudel recipe with us too. I don't think I have ever had cabbage strudel.

Ann

• caliloo
    15 years ago

Is Nokedli the same as Spaetzle

Yep - just different countries... spaetzle is from Germany/Austria and nokedli is further east.

Alexa

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I asked my mom about the Cabbage Strudel and she said she did remember having it as a child, but didn't like it so she avoided learning anything about it. She did mention that it may have had raisins also.

I googled around and found this recipe - it sure sounds like it might fit the bill for you and your dad, bless his heart!

Hungarian Sweet Cabbage strudel

Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Ingredients:
    For Filling:
    1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
    1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup dark or light raisins
    1/4 cup walnut pieces, toasted
    . For Pastry:
    3 sheets filo dough, thawed
    1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
    Preparation:
    For the filling: In a large skillet, melt butter. Add cabbage and saute until tender. Add salt and sugar and stir to dissolve.

Add raisins and cook a few minutes to reduce and thicken any juices. Stir in 1/4 cup toasted walnuts. Spread on a parchment-lined sheet pan to cool completely.

To assemble the strudel: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place 1 sheet filo dough on a parchment-lined baking pan. Brush with butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 sugar and 1/3 finely chopped walnuts. Repeat two more times, reserving last 1/3 of butter, sugar and walnuts.

Turn the pan so short end of filo is closest to your body. Spread cooled cabbage filling 2 inches from top and sides, but all the way to the edge closest to you.

Using the parchment paper to help you lift, roll the strudel away from you, encasing the filling and forming a cylinder. Move the strudel, seam side down, to the center of the parchment paper and tuck in the strudel ends.

Brush entire surface with remaining melted butter, sugar and walnuts. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes on the pan.

Using a serrated knife, carefully cut into 8 pieces and serve warm. Garnish with an edible flower, if desired, whipped cream, or a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar.
    Source: Chef Gale Gand, Chicago

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Thanks Alexa, but once you mentioned the dreaded raisins that was it for me. LOL! Actually I was thinking more of a savory cabbage strudel, not a sweet dessert type. I like the idea of a savory strudel better. Is there such a thing?

Ann

• caliloo
    15 years ago

I've never heard of any sort of cabbage strudel, which is why I called my mom. But now that you mention it.... I think a savory one with the same sort of cooking method to make the Káposzta Tészta (leave out the noodles) and roll it in phyllo might be quite tasty.

I might even dice and saute onion to put in the melted fat between the layers of phyllo. And yes, I would add the bacon (or sausage) to the filling... just because I like it that way! LOL!

Alexa

• malna
    15 years ago

Alexa - that sounds REALLY close! Phyllo dough, raisins and walnuts are now on the shopping list. Thanks so much!

Ann,
    Most of the time it is a savory strudel - that's why I found it difficult to find a "sweet" recipe. My DH's family always had it as a snack or the first course of the meal.

Here's one from a Hungarian cookbook from the 1950's:

Finely shred 1 head cabbage (about 3 pounds). Place cabbage in large bowl and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons salt. Let stand 1/2 hour. Meanwhile, make the strudel dough (yeah, right - not me!)

In a saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter, squeeze cabbage dry (discard juice) and put into the pan. Cook cabbage 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and add 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper.

After strudel dough is stretched, spoon 1/4 cup thick sour cream over dough and spread with spatula. Sprinkle 1/4 cup bread crumbs over sour cream. Spread cabbage filling evenly over strudel.

Roll strudel and brush top and sides with melted butter. Bake at 350F for 35 to 45 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve warm.

• malna
    15 years ago

I made the cabbage strudel yesterday morning, along with some apple ones. Pretty close to the taste in my memory banks. These are slightly undercooked, as I thought they might better survive the 1000-mile journey in the hands of the Postal Service.

I had more ready to go into the oven, but DH stumbled into the kitchen half-asleep, thought they were breakfast burritos, nuked them, and doused them with salsa. Wish you could have seen his face when he took a bite. ROTFLMAO!

• caliloo
    15 years ago

OMG Malna! Your poor DH - I bet that was hilarious!

They do look interesting though - I think I will give it a try and not tell my family what is inside LOL! Of course, I will have to hide the salsa from my DH too LOLOLOL!

Alexa

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

That is too hilarious Malna, what a hoot!

Those look really good, hope your Dad enjoys as I'm sure he will.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

Omg Malna.. uncooked cabbage strudel with salsa. That really made me laugh. They do look delicious .. cooked.. lol.

I love stuffed cabbage and all the recipes have made me want to make it. The past couple years I have gotten really lazy and make it layered as a casserole instead of rolling the individual leaves. It has at least satisfied my cravings and is really pretty good. Smiles.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Ann T, what do you serve with Greek Cabbage Rolls in Avgolemono Sauce? I'm thinking about making this for a dinner party.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Lpink, I like to

with Greek Green Bean,Zucchini and Potato stew. Wonderful side. Or you can serve them wtih Greek roasted potatoes with lemon. Or even mashed potatoes if that appeals to you.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera
    =======================================================

Adapted from: Krinos Foods

(The original recipe called for a large can of tomatoes and did not include garlic or oregano.)

Green Bean, Zucchini and Potato Stew (Fassolakia Iadera)This is a traditional vegetable mixture that is often eaten cold, accompanied by hunks of country bread and feta cheese

1/4 cup olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, halved crosswise
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 ounces zucchini, cut into 1-inch-thick slices
    8 ounces russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 to 2 tablespoons fresh oregano chopped (or dried)
    1 14 ounce can of Italian-style tomatoes, chopped.
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    . Heat oil in heavy large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
    onion and sauté 5 minutes.Add Garlic and green beans and sauté until
    onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, cayenne
    pepper, parsley and oregano. Pour tomatoes and their juices over
    vegetables. Add chicken broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat. Cover and
    simmer until potatoes are tender, stirring frequently, about 45
    minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Can be prepared
    1 day ahead -- cover and refrigerate. Serve warm or at room
    temperature. 6 To 8 Servings

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Well we just had the leftover half (yes I know, 4 days later, I stretched it) and, at my wife's request, I served it over rice. Sounds a bit counterintuitive but she wanted something that would soak up the sauce. Had sugar snap peas on the side as well.

• Kay
    15 years ago

Ann T.
    I've been wanting to make your cabbage rolls with avgolemono sauce ever since I saw the picture and the recipe you posted. That's my favorite dish to order in a local Greek restaurant here. They serve it with Greek salad (or soup) and pita bread, but the green bean, zucchini, and potato stew or the roasted potatoes sound better.

I've never used savoy cabbage for stuffed cabbage. Is it much different from the regular type?

• malna
    15 years ago

Carnelian,

Savoy cabbage is sweeter and tenderer than regular cabbage. It actually is better for cabbage dishes, but I (personally) can't get past the fact that it looks like green tripe :-)

• Kay
    15 years ago

Thanks, Malna! LOL, you're right about how it looks. A few months ago my husband accidentally ordered a tripe dish at an Ecuadorian restaurant and ate it without realizing what it was. We figured it out later.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Eeeeew, not sure I like that comparison. LOL! Savoy cabbage is more flexible too so it makes it easier to roll up the cabbage rolls.

Ann

• livvysmom
    15 years ago

My MIL made stuffed cabbage tonight and it is so different than my mothers. MIL's is rice and ground beef with onions and green peppers -- cooked in a casserole dish with diced tomatoes.

My Hungarian mother's is rice, ground beef, pork and onions cooked on the stovetop in tomato juice.

Does anyone have any good tips for getting the cabbage leaves off the head???

PS: I would think savoy cabbage is much more expensive than cheap old green cabbage

• foodonastump
    15 years ago

Having never cooked with both before, I don't know what the difference between savoy and green would be in my own kitchen. What I can say, though, is that my MIL makes golabki frequently, with green, and I've NEVER seen my wife eat the cabbage itself. Stays off to the side. With the savoy (or was it the av. sauce?) she ate up the whole thing.

As for getting the leaves off, I simply steamed until the outer ones came loose, took them off until they got harder, steamed a minute more, repeat....

• bulldinkie
    15 years ago

I take cabbage cut around the heart of cabbage,stem,boil it till leaves turn color and start comming away from stem,meanwhile I mix in bowl,about 2Lbs ground chuck,1 cup cooked rice,chopped onion,chopped green pepper,kikomen sauce,about 1/4c.melted butter.add all to beef.take the cabbage out fill leaves roll them up,I use ragu sauce of your choice.Lay the cabbage rolls in the ragu. put either in griddle or dish and bake love with corn,scalloped potatoes.I like it when cabbage falls apart.mmmmmm

• charlp
    15 years ago

just found this thread... have made savory cabbage stuffing for years though My Tante did not................she made Cheese, cheese and cherry, and apple..........never any of it with raisens........the strudel I was making that Lee posted a few years ago was this...the dough is fat, flour.and water .no egg

the cabbage stuffing

1 large cabbage chopped or shredded
    1 large onion
    about 4 pieces of bacon

partly cook bacon
    add onion......cook till begining to brown
    add cabbage and some water.........steam with lid on pan
    when limp start to turn as it begins to brown
    keep turning adding salt and pepper as you go
    until it is all evenly browned
    let cool before speading on the dough
    one large head will do about one small studel

I use 2 because my table is 43" round and the overhang of the dough is about 3"

this should not be rolled tight but sort of flipped loosely

my family also makes stuffed cabbage but it is bavarian and we bake it and baste it with the juices .there is no tomatoe
    and gravey is made from the dripppings

charlotte

• ysop1016
    15 years ago

Should cooked frozen cabbage rolls be thawed before placing in the oven or just covered and placed in the oven frozen?

• lindac
    15 years ago

Also....if you freeze your cabbage.....the leaves become limp, when thawed andseparate easily.
    Linda C

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

I always thaw them first .....

• Lars
    12 years ago

I bought some Savoy cabbage for the egg rolls that I made last week, but I only used two leaves, and so I wanted to make cabble rolls with the rest of it. Does anyone have anything to add to this thread? I thought it was worth reviving.

I guess I've only had Hungarian food once - at Budapest Restaurant and Pastry Shop in Vancouver. At the time I was staying with a friend who had a house near Oak Street and 22nd Avenue. I had goulash there, and I found it a bit greasy, and I haven't had Hungarian food anywhere else, but I think if I make it myself I will like it.

Lars

• Lars
    12 years ago

I found Ann's recipe here, and it is very similar to what I made. I did not follow one recipe but simply read a bunch of recipes and got the procedures in my mind, and when I sorted them out, they came out like Ann's recipe. However, the cabbage (not cabble) I bought was Napa instead of Savoy. I really liked it, and so I wonder if I should switch to Savoy.

The last time I posted to this thread, it did not show up on top, and so it may not again.

Lars

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Bump...I don't want this thread to scroll off....too many good recipes.