SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Stuffed Cabbage . . . discuss

lpinkmountain
13 years ago

I'm making stuffed cabbage this weekend for my dinner party. Since BF doesn't like to eat a lot of pork (due to gout) and we've been eating pork loin roast leftovers all week, I have to make something other than the pork loin for Saturday's dinner. I can make it veggie with fake meat crumbles and no one will care. I'm also making broiled turkey thighs which I can get at the Market, or maybe some type of turkey sausages.

So I want it to be really yummy. I have made them maybe once, and had them a couple of time. I really like them with a sweet and sour type tomato sauce. My ponderings are:

Should I put raisins in the suffing or in the sauce? Should I include green peppers, and if so, in the stuffing or in the sauce? What kinds of seasonings?? Again, season the stuffing or sauce or both? Savoy cabbage or the regular honkin' big cheap kind? Are potatoes a required side, even with brown rice in the stuffing, rye bread as an appetizer, squash soup and pear cake for dessert. Carb overload!!

(I'd like to do asparagus soup, beet soup or spinach soup, or even cauliflower soup, but people are so darn fussy when it comes to vegetables!)

Maybe I'll just have to do baked pears for dessert, but I do a mean pear ginger cake. Also have homeade applesauce so maybe just some oatmeal cookies for dessert. I dunno, stuffed cabbage is more or less healthy but all that other comfort food is so darn starchy!

Comments (23)