SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoewolf

'Pitbull?' has moved in next door

zoewolf
16 years ago

We have a new next-door neighbor who also happens to have a rather large, nasty dog. My oldest daughter swears that it sounds like a Pitbull. Regardless, of what breed of large dog it is, Wolfie , who is a large 9 year old Chow, and "Pitbull" have greeted each other at the backyard fence, each trying to be more vicious (and destructive) then the other one. Zoe who is a small one year old Chow, has yet to try and tear down fence (with her teeth) but is right in there snarling and barking a "Pitbull".

ItÂs not so much the barking and snarling that bother me (although it does), itÂs that the fence that separates our yards is pretty old and will not withstand Wolfes savage attack on it. I donÂt know what their side looks like, but ours has portions torn away from him sinking his teeth into the wood and pulling -- and this new dog has only been here a few day now.

At our former house, we had a hiking/jogging trail directly behind our backyard where people would walk their dogs off-leash. What he did to that fence with his bare teeth was nothing short of amazing (in a very bad way). When a dog got close, he would go into some kind of a trance  he heard, saw or felt nothing when biting chunks out of the fence to get to this animal. Standing next to him while I was watering on one such occasion, I tried yelling at him to stop  Nothing. I started banging the hose against the fence  Nothing. Started spraying him with water  Nothing. When he is on a "mission" he is very, very intensely focused, apparently.

With that "fence" I stapled a roll of wire on it so that he couldnÂt get a hold of any of the wood. Worked for a few days, until he pulled the wire off. Next I stapled stronger, more heavy-duty wire to it, and then curled the edges of it so they acted as spikes. He just flossed his teeth with this idea.

The final desperate act I tried was actually putting up a wire fence in front of he wooden one. This worked the best, but was still not fool proof. I would watch him  without interrupting (as I had found out earlier this was impossible to do)  grab the wire in his teeth and PULL, and PULL, and PULL. Mind you that the animal on the other side was long gone by now. He just has an obsession with fences and whatÂs on the other side.

From my perspective, due to his past behavior, having a cyclone fence professionally installed a few feet in front of our current wooden one is a feasible deterrent. However, this just seems so drastic (and possibly expensive), not to mention, that aesthetically, I think that it would look terrible.

I was going to go over to "Mr. & Mrs. PitbullÂs" house today, introduce myself and see what we wanted to do about the fence. However, before I do go, I was hoping for some input from all of you, regarding some other possible solutions???

It just seems that there HAS TO BE ANOTHER (BETTER) WAY!!!!!

Comments (24)