SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rmlanza

Scary pitbull in my neighborhood

rmlanza
15 years ago

I don't know what to do. The family down the street has a pitbull that stays in their garage most of the time, even when they are home. They have two children that play with my kids. Their kids say their dog is not trained very well. The boy is not quite 12 (but he's a huge kid) and he's the one responsible for walking the dog. I see the dog pulling him along the street and I know that if that dog really wanted to, she could get away from him. What's scarier is that the girl (10 years old and the skinniest little thing you ever saw) also sometimes walks the dog. I understand that a lot of people think pitbulls are great dogs, and I'm sure they can be for their owners, but sorry, I don't trust them. Apparently these kids don't either because they often warn my kids about this pitt. I don't want to start a debate about pittbulls being great dogs or a menace to society, I just want to talk about THIS pittbull.

Okay so today the dog got loose. My kids were just about to go outside to play and just by chance, hadn't stepped outside yet (I was making them put their bookbags away first). My middle child (11) stepped out our front door and the boy who owns the dog FRANTICALLY yelled at him to get back inside. My son darted back in and we all ran to the windows to see where the pittbull had gone. The dog ran around to the back of my house within seconds of my son getting back inside and stood there looking at my rabbit in his outdoor hutch. The boy was hot on the dogs' heels thankfully and the dog was only there staring at my rabbit for a few seconds. The boy was able to DRAG the dog away, thankfully. I think if that boy had not gotten there so quickly, my rabbit would have been a goner. So what do I do? This dog is scary! My kids know that if that dog is outside, even on a leash, that they need to come in until they are done walking it. My kids aren't allowed to ring their bell and ask their kids to come out to play. These people had another pitbull a year or two ago and had to get rid of it because it bit the owner on his leg. He had 12 stitches. I've heard that the grandmother has also been attacked (she lives there but in their basement) and there are rumors that even the girl had been injured slightly. Can I call someone and complain about the dog even if it hasn't done any harm to anyone in our neighborhood? Or do we have to wait until it injures someone? Even the state trooper who lives across the street from me is terrified of this dog being in our neighborhood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (26)