SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mst___

What did you get........

mst___
14 years ago

I don't see that anyone has posted about what you got for the kitchen at Christmas. I got a digital scale that is perfect for my needs. I also got some kitchen mits and a apron.

Comments (60)

• pkramer60
    14 years ago

Santa was good here too. The new cast enamel braiser, a Calphalon grill pan and a new meat/deli slicer. And wine, cookies and chocolates. Burp.

• arabellamiller
    14 years ago

I really, really, really wanted that new T-fal low oil fryer. It looks awesome.

But I didn't get it:(

I did get loads of other wonderful things, but the only kitchen-related one was a Giada autographed cookbook. It's OK, but full of bacon-y or seafood-y recipes that I'll never make. I do love her though, and appreciate the thought.

I love hearing about other people's gifts!

AM

• Related Discussions

So what did you get!

Q

Comments (7)
    Alyssum and a beautiful marigold my daughter gave me a few years back. The seeds always came back true until this year I left them all winter and they wouldn't sprout even though I dried them on the kitchen counter for a few days. I have some older seeds from those and will try to see if I can get them going again. One volunteer came up, and I can save from that and mark specially. I'm planning on saving a few other kinds this fall. Man, I looked at my PS Rudbeckia, think I want something different, but there are hundreds of seeds in one bloom, don't know if they were ripe yet. I let one gorgeous iris go to seed and will plant them over the winter to see what happens. Usually I deadhead all those. If these grow they may be ugly because it probably open pollinated with a yellow iris nearby which might make for a yucky combo. I've got a volunteer campanula in the mess in the back, marked it and think it's safer to let it overwinter there, then move it in early spring. Also there are two tulip trees and one redbud. None would grow straight now so plan to roundup in the spring the whole area once I get what I want out of there/covered. Redbuds are easy to grow from seed but was told they take 7 years to bloom. I rubbed them between medium sandpaper 20X, planted (suggested on tree forum here), germinated very quickly from neighbor's tree to babies the same spring. I had 27 going and xplanted into pepsi bottles w/holes but should have sunk them into the ground over the winter. They all died. I think you can probably plant redbuds direct sow if you give them the sandpaper treatment. Otherwise it can take years.
    ...See More

What did you get this year that you ended up liking the most of y

Q

Comments (26)
    This year I added some green hosta (not something I do often). My favorite green additions: I really liked the fat, rippled leaves of Lakeside Old Smokey with white backs: Blue Monday has beautiful heart shaped leave that look like a green version of Moon Lily (one of my favorite golds): They don't look like much yet, however I'm already looking forward to next year as both plants had a number of eyes. I also liked Sara's Sensation and am looking forward to the very wide margins as it matures. It also handles a lot of sun well: All of these may not look like much now, just wait!
    ...See More

Vinyl floor - what did you get?

Q

Comments (7)
    I had DuraCeramic (grouted) installed in 2007. They removed the old vinyl floor and put down lauan (spelling?) underlayment. So seven years later, it still looks quite good except ... there are a few tiles that have hairline cracks (not very noticeable) and some tiles have been damaged by having things dropped on them. (I dropped one of those metal, retractable measuring tapes on it the other day and it left a dent.) Also, I don't find it especially easy to clean, compared to my old vinyl floor. If you get something like black heel marks, it requires vigorous scrubbing with a scrub sponge. I think the cost was comparable to having ceramic tile installed. In spite of those negatives, I am still happy with the look and would probably do it again.
    ...See More

How was YOUR Christmas - what did you get - did you have fun?

Q

Comments (1)
    I had a very quiet Christmas, and just as well because it was a stinking hot day (35C at 7am!) and there was no energy to breathe, much less anything else. My son and his lady came for breakfast, the first of many visits they had scheduled for the day. This was just fine by me. I got them when they were full of Christmas spirit, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, and by the time they left their appetites were ruined for everyone else's food! The best part of the breakfast was that THEY did all the cooking - I just 'supervised' and provided the food. We had a lot of fun and laughter together exchanging our little gifts, and when they left, I was able to recuperate by sleeping most of the day in front of the fan, or beginning to read one of the several books they gave me (from a list I'd prepared of Must Haves). My sleep was, however, disturbed by a number of phone calls from interstate friends, all very welcome. And in the evening a friend visited, ostensibly to watch Dancesport on TV with me (we are both into ballroom dancing), but mostly to escape her rowdy family at home after a mountain of a day. (She often uses my place as a refuge when things get A Bit Much.) In between these interuptions, I had the opportunity of watching all those silly little Christmas shows on TV. You know, Frosty the Snowman, The Little Drummer Boy and so on. I have a sneaking liking for these little things - maybe I'm in my second childhood! All very pleasant indeed, thank you.
    ...See More
  • annie1992
    14 years ago

Elery bought that Aldi's brasier for me, even though we agreed we wouldn't exchange gifts. That's OK, I bought him a new wine opener. I also got a gift certificate to Biggby Coffee and one to the local gas station, one from my mother to the local dive bar that I love, Schuberg's. They have wonderful homemade soups and delicious grouper filets.

Other than that, I got socks from Amanda, gloves from Ashley. I specifically requested that we not exchange gifts, I gave the girls cash.

Oh, and Makayla wanted the Ace of Cakes Gourmet Girl Cake Bakery. So, she got it. Amanda says it's a PIA, it's just a turntable for decorating, some really bad premade fondant and gel for decorating but she liked the gel gun, she said she could decorate a cake with that herself!

Annie

• craftyrn
    14 years ago

Package arrived early from the DS's family ( he lives in NC) :

Kitchen towels etc:

Doc usually gets me a bottle of Bailey's each Christmas that we use for Irish coffee at our Early Family Christmas but this year he bought a White Chocolate liquor--the Captain Morgan was from a neighbor:

And a friend stopped in with these:

Recieved just one cookbook this year-- from a friend-- the Taste of Home Christmas 2009 edition ; friend who has a small diner type restaurant gave us a whole beef tenderloin; youngest DD & hubby gave us a gift certificate to a local Italian restaurant.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Ruthanna, we must be on the same simplification plan. :)
    Except with a couple of friends, we don't exchange gifts, either.

A friend gave me Zarela Martinez' Veracruz cookbook, which I've been wanting for ages and just never could justify buying for myself. I think I shall be eating a lot of Mexican food in the near future. The recipes look yummy.

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Stepson and his girlfriend got me a Cuisinart coffee grinder to replace the one that died last week. Got a Salton kitchen scale from hubby and a bunch of cookbooks. I was going to ask for a new kitchen center but my Oster is still going strong after a quarter of a century so I decided to wait until it expires then I will get a replacement. Al

• ghoghunter
    14 years ago

Vacuumfreak I got the Pinzon Stainless steel mandoline! I will be careful!! I'm going to use it first for apples I think. I want nice thin slices because I want to dry them.

As far as the pressure cooker goes I may try a pot roast first with a boneless chuck roast. I'm really excited to try everything.
    Joann

• mst___
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Craftyrn, I usually buy myself a bottle of Baily's every Christmas too. This year I was eyeing the white chocolate liqour. How does it taste?

• carol_in_california
    14 years ago

I got a pair of silicone cooking chopsticks with a little smiley faces on one end to adding seasonings, I guess.
    The instructions were all in Japanese but DDIL added a note that they were dishwasher safe.
    I love using cooking chop sticks after seeing my DDIL using them when we visited them in Tokyo.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Nothing kitchen related for me this year...unless you can count being taken out for a lovely Christmas dinner of Duck a l'Orange so I didn't have to spend the day in the kitchen lol.

Oh yes I can't forget that I hinted to both my daughters in Canada that I had run out of Montreal steak seasoning and Montreal chicken seasoning as well as Old Bay seasoning (Lou you got me hooked on that) and so they sent those for Christmas, as well as some nice things to wear when not in the kitchen.

I picked out my own gifts from Wolf:... Nike Air walking shoes and some deep anti-wrinkle cream.:-) So that takes care of me. I hope to be slim and un-wrinkly!

Oh Annie BTW Wolf LOVES his new 22" computer monitor! It was such a surprise for him. I had the computer man come in quietly early one morning and we set it up while Wolf was sleeping. I made a big golden bow to put on top and put a Christmas card ..."to my dear husband" beside it, then I had to go out to Pilates, so he was alone when he woke up and saw it. He's so happy and so am I that I could do that.

SharonCb

• User
    14 years ago

Alex, I got Vodka and wine too !!!! Santa knows us well!

Santa always brings me neat kitchen tools, that's 'cause he wants neat tools too!

This Christmas he brought a Calphalon Santoku knife, Calphalon tomato knife and a new fancy dancy bread machine 'cause my one at the cottage doesn't work on the bake cycle. Santa didn't seem to know I only use the knead and rise cycle, never the bake cycle but I won't tell.

• compumom
    14 years ago

My co-workers gave me salad dressing cookbook, an oil cruet and a Trader Joe's Companion Cookbook. The cookbooks look great!

• Lars
    14 years ago

I got a lump of coal this year for Christmas - that's how much I was appreciated for doing all the cooking and coordinating for Christmas dinner. While in Texas, I did buy a couple of things for my kitchen, but mainly because I needed them there. I got the nut grinder that I wanted, which greatly helped me while making toffee in Texas, and I also got a new meat thermometer. This one is very small and digital. The one I have here in California is very large and doubles as a candy thermometer. I had to buy another candy thermometer in Texas as well, but it was only three dollars, and so now I have three - one is digital, but I like to have the other kind as a backup - in case the battery goes out in the middle of candy making.

I also bought myself a couple of cookbooks at Half Price Books in Austin (which was having a 20% off sale): The African and Middle Eastern Cookbook, which is more Middle Eastern and Arabic than African, but that's what I needed, plus Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts, which has a lot of recipes that I hope to use in my two ice cream makers that I bought last August. It has 187 pages of dessert recipes, and so I thought that made it worthwhile. Besides, I didn't have an ice cream cookbook!

I bought myself other presents (to help offset the misery we endured in Texas), but they were not kitchen related, although I did buy a couple of gingerbread men that I left at my parents' house. I asked my mother today to mail them to me, since she does not like gingerbread, and I love it. We got them at a Czech bakery called "Ye Olde English Bakery" in Temple while having lunch with our niece. There was nothing English about the bakery, and Kevin got the last of their Kolaches, which is one of their specialties.

Lars

• cotehele
    14 years ago

From DH, I got a new kitchen, and that is going to be my gift for many Christmases and birthdays.

MIL & FIL gave me a stick blender. They had not heard of such a gadget. It's on MIL's wanted list now. From SIL, a quilted apron and an orange Kuhn Rikon paring knife.

• dedtired
    14 years ago

I got two giant bags of coffee and three bottles of wine. I'll be floating soon.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lars, I'm sorry your trip home went badly. At least you got yourself what you wanted.

Sharon, I was sure your darling Wolf was going to love that computer monitor. Good for you for keeping it a secret for so long!

Annie

• whistle_gw
    14 years ago

I got a red, five and a half quart, Le Creuset dutch oven. Santa was good. I'm sure it's the only piece I'll ever own! Later I'd like to start a new thread about recipes for this jewel. My son-in-law, who is a chef/cook said it's the only piece of cookware that he's ever seen come with an instruction booklet in multiple languages!
    Happy New Year, everyone.

• ysop1016
    14 years ago

Shaun,
    What is your garlic thingie called. My garlic press minces too finely. I got a gadget that hooks on to a pot and it holds the lid while you stir or check. I also got salad/pasta "salad hands."

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

My brother gave me a Scatergories game for Christmas and one of the questions was " Kitchen gadeget that starts with the letter M".
    I said Mandoline and no one believed me!
    I had to go get my Williams Sonoma Catalog and show everybody what a mandoline was.

I'm in the camp that doesn't give or receive many gifts. But I did buy myself new Christmas mitts and the red enameled roaster from Aldi's. And some gourmet foods from tjmaxx and a gorgeous serving tray from World Market.

And one of the best things I have ever bought: Bake Klean Release from Williams Sonoma. This stuff has given new life to all my Nordic molded pans that were difficult to release cakes. This product is like a miracle drug for complicated cake pans and I will always buy it now. It's a different formula than Bakers Joy or Pam and doesn't compare.

• dannie
    14 years ago

Beachlily, which Lagostina set did you get? I have the Commercial Pro from Canadian Tire and it is great! It is wonderful on my new induction cooktop.

Giftwise, my daughter who still lives at home yet got a heart-shaped waffle maker. It makes two waffles at once. We have been the lucky recipients of homemade waffles in the last few days.

For me, a bottle of Caramel liquor and a set of virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar with spices was it for kitchen type gifts.

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

Oh speaking of waffle maker, I'd completely forgotten about the Belgium waffle maker from hubby. Got it at the Superstore and it was actually pretty good. Used it once before wrapping it (test drive) but won't be able to use it again until next year. Stepdaughter, stepson and his girlfriend are here for the holidays and they don't like waffles. Don't believe stepson's Chinese girlfriend who came straight from Singapore ever had waffles. Once they are gone I will make waffles for just the three of us. Al

• beachlily z9a
    14 years ago

Dannie, the Commercial Pro wasn't on sale, but Padova was on sale. That's the one I got. I'm excited! I've got a soup pot made in Italy from Lagostina and it is a workhorse on my induction range. Thanks for the confirmation!

• dannie
    14 years ago

Beachlily, I saw that set and it is a great one! Really nice quality and the handles feel really good in the hand. I considered that one but I like metal lids better so that is why I didn't get it, otherwise it would have been my next choice. You will love it!

• dancingqueengw
    14 years ago

I got the new Thermapen, a Shun knife and my DD gave me Colorado Classique Cookbook. Today I used gift certificate combined with my own $ to buy a 3-1/2 quart Le Creuset in BLACK on sale. Perfect size and I LOVE the black.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Oh, gosh, where to start...
    My family knows me well.
    From mom: 3 different kinds of coffee, Scottish shortbread that she actually packed home from Scotland, a whiskey flavored coffee flavoring thingie (from Scotland), honey powder.
    From my brother: Salmon and halibut that he caught on a trip to Alaska, Thuringer sausage from my favorite smokehouse in his home town, a stove top grill pan, smoker bags, spice rubs.
    From santa: small portable kitchen timer (will be very handy this summer when I'm canning, etc.)
    I bought myself a Rival electric meat slicer (used, $20) just before Christmas and we 'needed' $130 worth of stuff at Whole Foods this morning. I'll post pics on the thread I started about that as soon as I buy more camera batteries!

Yes, the kitchen made out very well this year!!

Deanna

• bunnyman
    14 years ago

I had not one but two hams gifted to me. Planning to use most of it to make soup. Probably enough ham to keep the soup pot full until March. A bottle of burbon from one of my sisters. Bar gifted me with a grab bag of homemade candy and popcorn balls. Lots of shopping for myself but so far I've not bought much... a new sound card for the computer for michael and Lyra has a new leather blazer. Lots of little treats... some pre-packaged Palak Paneer, Cholula hot sauce, german beer, tamarind juice, sumatran coffee. Best food gift to myself was a bar of chocolate that has hot pepper in it... very addictive so you have been warned. I've not had many steaks this year so I've splurged and had three in the last couple days. Best "gift" so far was simply time off work. I don't have to be back until the 4th and I'm loving every moment of freedom.

Most adults got Penzey's from me. I was pleased to see the gift boxes were very nice. I didn't know what to do for the kids in the family so they all got giant bars of milk chocolate. The kids were suitably impressed and happy so that worked out. I gave Grandma fancy chocolates that went over well... never know what to get her. LOL... my sister gave her a years supply of paper products.

So far my family has had a safe holiday. Local restarant owner lost his adult son to an auto accident yesterday so safety is on my mind.

: )
    lyra

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I had a great Christmas! Got a microplane, new cookware, & a Kitchenaid mixer. I had asked for the microplane & cookware, but had not clue on the mixer. It was a last minute gift apparently, they wanted to get me something I wasn't expecting. It worked! They went out on Christmas Eve & of course couldn't find the one I had pointed out once, so just picked one expecting me to exchange it. I found a Kitchenaid Pro 5 on line, bigger, better, & cheaper so now I have to wait for my present :)

• shaun
    14 years ago

Ysop, it's called Chef'n Garlic Zoom Garlic Chopper; here's a link

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Chopper

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I got a Thermapen, a stick blender, an electric citrus juicer, The Barefoot Contessa in Paris book and the Trisha Yeawood cookbook.

I used the Thermapen yesterday on the smoked turkey. It was fantastic, so easy to read. My first smoked turkey came out pretty good. I don't know why I was afraid to smoke poultry.

• jojoco
    14 years ago

The only kitchen related gadget I received was this thing to tell how long to cook fish based on thickness.
    See the link below. Not sure if it works...

Here is a link that might be useful: fish thingy

• suzyqtexas
    14 years ago

I got a real Lodge Dutch oven, cooked my stuffing outside on Christmas Day and on Saturday, Green Chili Stew. It was fun. Also got a Pastry Queen Parties: Entertaining Friends and Family, Texas Style cookbook.

• partst
    14 years ago

We stopped exchanging gifts years ago. We were supposed to go to Hawaii with DD and family but that got postponed until April due to their car crash. DH had the week off so he revamped the garage. Insulation, drywall, new sink and cabinets even 6 feet of carpet by the door into the house it looks like big kitchen with woodworking equipment in it.LOL I can open my car door without hitting the table saw and even have counters to put stuff on plus I got 2 drawers for my junk. Boy it doesnÂt take much to make me happy anymore.LOL

He called this morning and said his office is full of gift baskets, booze and 3 boxes of SeeÂs candy. I told him to bring home the booze and give the girls in the office the candy and baskets. It will look better on the them than on me.

DD and DSI are on the mend that was my gift this year. Plastic surgeon did a great job and DD wonÂt have any scars at all.

Claudia

• cookebook
    14 years ago

I got a peeler, a Shamwow (which I guess is kitchen-related) and, believe it or not, a box of tomatoes. I have no idea where my sister-in-law got good-looking tomatoes this time of year.

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

Claudia, I'm glad to here things are getting better.

There certainly are some great gifts listed. I was hoping for a Thermapen but no luck.

I got a:
    Breville toaster oven
    $50 WS gift card
    Ninja food processor
    Mario Batali Extra Deep Lasagna Pan
    Cook's Country Best Recipes Cookbook
    Salt grinder

• booberry85
    14 years ago

So excited! I just got (tonight) a new Cuisinart Food Processor from the DH! I had a mini prep (Little Pro Plus) before, but the cup cracked. They don't make that model anymore. Now I have the 7 cup one. I'm going to play with it over New Years weekend.

I also received a Penzeys gift certificate! My sister gets me them for either my birthday or Christmas. I always look forward to them!

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I got Pioneer Woman's cookbook!

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Popover pans for me this year. Broke them in with yorkshire puddings on Christmas Day....they really poped big time in my new pans. Yum! I gifted myself, family, and friends with some of that G-three steak sauce and marinade. I'm loving the taste of it and can't wait to baste something on the grill with it. I'm thinking chicken or pork will be the first. DS gave me the DVD Julie and Julia, loved it but I'm a huge Streep fan and she really did a great with this one. The office crew gave me a big bottle of Crown...said they were sure they had given me more than one excuse to have a stiff one after work. LOL!

Sounds like y'all got some great things too!

David

• bri29
    14 years ago

Sounds like you all got great christmas presents! I'm so happy for you all, we're truly blessed...

I got two cookbooks (Marcella Hazan and Lidia Bastianich, yay!) Julie and Julia and Ratatouille and the best gag cooking gift ever: a cooking game for the Wii. :) It's a lot of fun and requires absolutely no cooking skill whatsoever.

Bri

• sooz
    14 years ago

Had a great time visiting with family at my cousin's home. We exchanged yummy baked goods!

As for my other gifts that were related to cooking -- I got a manual can opener--a wonderful gift because my old one is not doing its job very well.

Also received two kitchen timers... one with batteries--works fine so far.

The other one is a mechanical one (up to 60 minutes!) and it's cr@p--tried to set it for 30 minutes and nothing. Tried to set it for 5 minutes, and nothing. Yup, I moved the little face plate over to the 55 and then back to the number of minutes I wanted. Cr@p piece of metal and plastic!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

I received a big bag of shelled pecans and a big bag of shelled English walnuts, a Wilton long handled scraper, made to scrape down the bowls of the mixers, a Nordic Ware pie baking kit, a measuring glass, a cook book on how to make food and treats for dogs, a Pyrex set of 3 baking dishes with hot and cold packs and the carrier for them, they all 3 fit in the one carrier, and a new white microwave. I did great in the kitchen department!

Sue

• tami_ohio
    14 years ago

The only cooking related gift I got was a pair of oven gloves from my DS. He didn't know what to get me, and I was here at the CF when he asked. Someone had complained about oven mitts not fitting, which made me think of them!

Tami

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Part of mine just arrived via UPS 10 min's ago. Tenderloin filet dinner for 4!

That and a new pastry blender were the only food related items.

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

I got Rose Levy Beranbaum's new book, Heavenly Cakes. It was on my Amazon list. And DH and I together were given a box of Wagyu hamburgers and very thick bacon.

• ysop1016
    14 years ago

Shaun,
    Thanks for the info on the garlic press. That site had some other pretty neat items. The garlic press got mixed reviews on Amazon. Are you pleased with it?

• petaloid
    14 years ago

The only cooking-related gift was a kitchen timer shaped like a cartoon cat's head (we are owned by three kitties).

I got the giggles when I unwrapped it - I'll put a link below to a photo:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Tracey_OH
    14 years ago

Pat, I bought my friend the Pioneer Woman cookbook and wanted ro keep it for myself. I got the Taste of Home cookbook also. Nice cookbook with lots of pics. My big gift was an iPod touch. LOVE it!!!!! I've downloaded the Epicurious app and I can check recipes and the cooking forum withe the wifi. Great gift.

• amck2
    14 years ago

I'm late chiming in. Had 10 consecutive days of stay-over guests and little to no time to check in or post. Happy to be back!

I got a Boos cutting board. One big enough to set a turkey on with the moat to collect juices. I've been wanting one for years.
    DH got me a 2-yr. subcription to "Bon Appetit" magazine and a bread cookbook that gives measurements for making 1 lb. loaves. I've been wanting one since I got my Mini-Zo bread maker.
    DS brought us an assortment of food-related gifts from Denmark including bottles of Glog (a wine-type beverage you heat before drinking that has dried cherries and slivered almonds in it....yum!) and several large tubes of marzipan.

• Cloud Swift
    14 years ago

We only do Hanukkah gifts for the grandkids, but on a visit to the Korean grocery store, I bought myself meat shears and springy tongs. And I found a new source of kosher beef that is antibiotic and hormone free and has reasonable (compared to other kosher meat) prices. They are even running a shipping special - less than $10 for any size order.

Last night I made braised short ribs (from flanken ribs from the new butcher) in my wok with a recipe from Breath of a Wok. I used the meat shears to cut the ribs apart and the tongs to turn them in my wok.

• Bizzo
    14 years ago

I got a new crockpot, to replace the vintage 1970's one I had. We made pot roast at my mom's with it, and it was FANTASTIC!!!!

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

Socks. But I promise I will wear them in the kitchen. Does that count?