SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_li

What's For Dinner # 258

kathleen_li
16 years ago

Merry Christmas!!! I am waiting for my pie to come out of the oven, but there are the desserts...

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

DH made the rugelach, 3 kinds, apricot, raspberry choc chip and lekvar.

Comments (102)

• stacy3
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

wow, that snow is beautiful. OUr s is all gone. :-( At least we didn't have to drive in it.

Thank you Monique - I somehow managed to do it twice in one week! (couldn't do it again if I tried...)

I made Chase's Cheesecake Supreme for the other side of the family and not a crack! It figures - both of these can kind of be covered so no one would see if they did crack, and they were both flawless...:-)

here is Sharon's before:
    {{gwi:2089754}}

And after:

{{gwi:2089756}}

- here is Ann's recipe. It looks even more wonderful with the sauce on it -

Praline Cheesecake
    ==================
    1-1/4 cup crushed graham crackers
    1/4 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup finely chopped pecans toasted
    1/4 cup butter melted
    3 - 8 oz packages cream cheese
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup pecan halves toasted.
    Caramel Sauce topping
    1 cup corn syrup - dark
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 Tablespoon Brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon vanilla
    Combine graham crackers, sugar, pecans and stir in melted butter. Press
    mixture over the bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides of a 9" ich spring pan.
    Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
    Beat cream cheese, 1 cup brown sugar, evaporated milk, flour and vanilla.
    Add egss and beat until just blended. pour into crust. Bake 50 to 55
    minutes or until set.
    Cool in pan for 30 minutes. Loosen sides and remove rim. Cool completely.
    Arrange toasted pecans on top of cake decoratively.
    Make Topping by combining corn syrup, cornstarch and brown sugar in a small
    saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
    To serve cake, Pour sauce over top and serve remaining sauce in a pitcher at
    the table.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Wow - Stacy - how gorgeous are your cheesecakes! I just made Ginger's recipe for Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake and it also gets covered on top (with chocolate) but it was perfect anyway. Figures.

The food pics here are sending me over the edge - we're having fish tonight (not a favorite of mine) and instead I'm craving chicken stuffed with spinach and a creamy tarragon sauce :)

• Related Discussions

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner?

Q

Comments (55)
    Dinner last night was a first -- I made a pot of chicken soup when it was 100 degrees or more outside (we've stopped watching). Special request of son upstairs with covid. I figure today to tomorrow will be d-day for me, so waiting to see. Tonight will be either leftovers of the soup or verde chicken enchiladas and spanish rice made the night before or whatever DH makes. Could be BLT's -- not really into cooking today.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #408 Late Fall 2023

Q

Comments (97)
    No interesting cooking for people over here, but I’ve been cooking tasty food for dogs :-) We’re in Berkeley taking care of our friends’ very elderly and reportedly on his last legs little dog. I am, of course, determined that he will not expire on my watch, and when he eats enthusiastically I feel better. So, what to feed him? The base is a tasty homemade chicken stock, made from a roasted chicken, carrots, celery, onion - just like you’d make a chicken stock for yourself. We cook a batch of rice with that stock. Other chicken is browned then simmered, and minced up. His kibble is soaked in more stock. Then some more cooked chicken and carrots get pureed with stock into a sort of gravy-paste. Rice, kibble, and gravy are mixed, then briefly warmed in the microwave. Finally, crisp bacon is crumbled on top. I am pleased to say that Elderly Dog positively gobbles his food, cleaning his bowl reliably enough that I can give him his pills crushed in the food. I’d happily eat it myself, actually, except that there’s no salt or spice. Well, I don’t really like kibble. All the fixings are in stored in Tupperware so feeding doesn’t take long.
    ...See More

What’s for dinner #411 Late Spring 2024

Q

Comments (0)
    Sunday roast chicken with tarragon stuffing that’s trying to escape the bird. You can tell DH prepared the vegetables because the carrots are in rounds which I never do. He made the gravy as well.
    ...See More
  • msazadi
    16 years ago

Oh God I love cheesecake but truly I am sooo full, it couldn't tempt me now!

We had my ds and family over along with Dick's dd. I am really realizing how distracted I get with 6 extra people talking to me as I finish up dinner. 6 incl 3 questioning grandchildren! Is this just old age?!?!?

Dinner went well and was yummy...no pics tho for the above reason. We had eggplant rollatini, stuffed shells, salmon braised with fennel, pulled pork (Just cause I'm sick of salmon...;-) ) and salad and whole wheat rolls. Lots of cookies and a to die for dessert that dd brought from Whole Foods. Choc mousse cake. Uuuummmmmm.

I made the shells along with the rollatini not being sure if the short people would want/eat the eggplant. My dgs eats it all. He's 13, need I say more? But the adults all like the rollatini and I have to say it's a good variation, tho a bit more work imho.

Those oatmeal scotchies??? DS does not eat sunflower seeds in cookies!! LOL His wife says he's a pita about things like that. Oh well, dgs will eat them all and I actually like them myself. Next time, plain old raisin oatmeal for him.

All in all a good day, and Dick is napping it off. Again, thanks to so many forum people for helping my cooking so much over this and other years.

Oh yes...I got the W-S Soup Cookbook from my chicks! ;-) Maureen

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maggie, I don't secure them..if you pound the cutlet thin and use a large one, you will have enough play to roll it easily, then dip in eggs and crumbs with a little flour mixed in. If you have to you can use those sandwich picks I guess.
    The baby is sick, to the doc everyday and a day in the hosp. He has congestion and they are concerned about his breathing..only 3 wks old! Thanks for asking and a little prayer would be appreciated!!

Woodie, I don't like fish either, and I think I told you the Talapia story, you know what THEY feed on...forget it!

This morning we had blueberry pancakes, and for lunch some Long Island Clam Chowder with a sprinkle of bacon. And because I can't resist, my bargains at 75 off from the local store! (sorry for the non shoppers!)

And coming to my table in a setting soon...

The plates came to 38 ea and the mitten bowl was a budget buster at 50!!

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Beautiful cheesecakes Stacy! Like Maureen I'm sure I couldn't eat any more sweets....unless you twisted my arm a little....and gave me a piece of the one with fruit topping! Yum.

That clam chowder looks delicious Kathleen. And those are cute dishes too,

Yesterday we went out for Austrian food and as I was craving some fresh salad, I chose a tuna salad as a starter and then took a half size portion (from the seniors' menu) of a schnitzel parisienne...an escalope dredged in flour and egg without breadcrumbs with bratkartoffeln.

Wolf chose kassler (smoked pork chop) with sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. The restaurant was packed with holiday tourists down from Europe for the mild weather and sunshine. Nice music and a holiday atmosphere.

Today I decided to make my New Year turkey curry a couple of days early...so it will fit in with my plans to have salmon on Jan.1st this time. It was so good, together with rice, turkey dressing, cranberry sauce, chopped walnuts, pineapple pieces and mango chutney. The two men really enjoyed it. So that's what we had today, while the turkey carcass was simmering on the stove with the usual seasonings and vegetables. I'll freeze half of the broth and make a soup with the rest. I've bought fresh shrimp which we'll have as a vol au vent tomorrow evening. The champagne is in the fridge and the balloons are blown up. Just have to decorate the table again and put out the glasses.

Today was a beautiful sunny day. Here's the turkey curry and a part of the garden this morning, a geranium and osteospermum.

Take care tomorrow everyone and have a lovely evening!

• Carol Schmertzler Siegel
    16 years ago

I wanted stuffed chicken after I saw Kathleen's pictures. Had way too mushrooms that really needed to be used up so I had my parents in for dinner, and we started with stuffed mushrooms. Dinner was Ann T's recipe for Chicken Breasts stuffed with Mushroom Duxelle. Was on my to try list for ages! I only had boneless skinless, and it came out great! The sauce was really nice!

{{gwi:2089766}}

{{gwi:2089767}}

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Carol - beautiful dinner! Love the spoons.

Kathleen - poor baby boy! Ugh! I see you were at CVS. I have the little village - ds uses it as his "Christmas set-up" on his train table - of course I paid full price. Take me shopping! Love the mitten. We had blueberry pancakes today, too.

Stacy - when you do something - you do it! Perfection.

Masazdi - don't you need a nap, too? Sounds like a great day.

Sharoncb - I wish I could get a tuna salad that looked like yours.

Woodie - Bailey's Cheesecake. I'm in.

They had leftover chicken for dinner - I had caramel corn, cheese corn, and regular from the giant can:)

Still don't know whats up for dinner tomorrow. Went to Jordan's Lobster Farm today but the line was out the door and I couldn't wait.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen..how do you find all those great deals???!!! Dishes for less than a dollar a piece???!!!! And cute ones at that!

Your breakfast and lunch look amazing too.. and a little prayer going up for the wee one!

Stacy your cheesecake magic is incredible! YummO

Sharon, I just wanna visit for one day!!!!!!!!
    Carol, you're meal looks very comforting!

Dinner here tonight: Baked beef ribs with My Smokey Maple BBQ sauce. Baked cheesy noodles, coleslaw and lumpia from my neighbor.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I read about the baby this morning on GB. Oh, I so hope he is doing better, poor little guy. I will keep him in my prayers.

Also, love your new china...$.38??? Is that all? WOW..I don't think I've ever seen nice china as cheaply as you can find it!! I guess I just don't know to bargain shop..LOL! And the mitten bowl is just adorable!

Sharon, I just love the wooden cruet set at the restaurant. And your dinner of fetuccini, bacon and peas looks fabulous. I've got to try that soon. And your turkey curry always looks so good.

Stacy, 2 cheesecakes and not 1 crack! WOW...I am impressed and don't think I've ever made a cheesecake that did not have several cracks. In fact I thought that was supposed to happen???

Linda, glad Tim's butt is fine...LOL! I should not laugh as I had the same thing happen and same place too. Darn neighbor's mutt!

Carol, I scanned Kathleen's stuffed chicken breast tutorial and it sure does look easy and so good! Love your spoons and the sauce looks luscious!! I don't have the recipe for Chicken Breasts stuffed with Mushroom Duxelle could you repost please.

I ordered a Mechanical Pastry Bag from Williams Sonoma tonight. I have so much trouble with the standard pastry bag and really make a big mess and I don't like messy any thing! I am quite excited to get it. I will link below in case anyone else is interested.

We had Garlic Shrimp tonight and it was good but I expected it to be better. But I was tired and did not let the shrimp marinate for long.

{{gwi:2089769}}

And I've decided I am ready for Spring!

{{gwi:2089770}}

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Mechanical Pastry Bag

16 years ago

Terri, can you post a recipe for your Smokey Maple BBQ sauce, or is it bottled? Beef ribs sound good. I haven't had those in ages!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Michelle, that's fancy schmancy!

Carol..no problem..
    It's from a website that I found last early spring. For chickens. I make the rub and the sauce all the time.
    ~sent the rub made up to Jessy in the last swap~

Quick Maple Barbecue Sauce
    1/2 c cider vinegar (I've used red wine as well.)
    1 c ketchup
    1/4 c brown sugar
    2 T dry mustard (prepared works when all the dry disappears.) :o)
    1/4 c maple syrup
    2 T worcestershire
    2 t smoked paprika
    1/2 t cayenne
    1/2 t fresh ground pepper
    1 t kosher salt

Combine in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 15-20 minutes until thickened.
    Yields approx: 2 1/2 cups
    ~I make a half batch all the time! But it seems to store well in the fridge in a canning jar for a few weeks.

Here's the rub recipe too.

Smokey Barbecue Dry Rub
    2 t smoked paprika
    2 t kosher salt
    1 T sugar (I use Raw.)
    1/2 t freshly ground pepper
    1/2 t cumin
    1 t garlic powder
    1/2 t chile powder
    1/2 t cayenne pepper

Blend together.
    Makes 3 Tablespoons
    ~I quadruple the batch and store in a spice tin.

16 years ago

Thanks, Terri :)

Michelle, those are very pretty!

• User
    16 years ago

DH and I had Lou's Pizza last night. Lou this is the bestest pizza crust ... I made one slight change :) I used 3 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat ... yummy !! I used just a small amount of tomato basil marinara sauce with a mix of provolone and mozzarella on top.

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

The pictures keep getting better here.
    Carol, your Chicken with Mushroom Duxelles is perfection.
    Stacy, your rendition of Chase's cheesecake looks pretty wonderful from this end.
    Kathleen, you and a once-regular member, Renée [Bubbe], share quite a flair for designing tablescapes. Btw, I'm going to start hanging out here more often, because I didn't know you had a baby. We'll keep him in our thoughts in the hopes he'll recuperate very soon.
    That's a lovely topiary Michelle.
    Ohiomom, pizza looks wonderful.
    Linda, we're all happy to know Tim's keister is fine. Hah! ... but seriously, I'm glad to know the mutt-attack failed to damper Tim's spirit.

We just got back from vacation last night, and were greeted by 6 fresh new inches of perfectly white snow. Looks prettier than a Hallmark card.

Anyway, I've actually missed my kitchen; can't wait to start cooking again, as soon as I'm settled in.

Monique and Jain, thank you pals.
    I'll be looking for your email tonight. Right now, we have no choice but to break out the snow-blower and clear the driveway, so we can go grocery shopping.
    There's nothing in our fridge except old milk, and a bottle of ... [Look away Ann. This may burn your retinal cells] "Ketchup."

Sol

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Sol, I didn't know I had a baby either!! My son and his wife just had their 4th, and he is the one we have been speaking about! And thanks for the good thoughts. I am hoprful he will be fine, it is just that he is so youmg anf the congestion has the docs conderned. But he is nursing and gaining, so that is good.

Ohiomom, that pizza looks great! And Michelle, so does your shrimp!! Spring is a long way off me thinks!

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

WOW...Linda, the pizza looks great. I've yet to try Lou's pizza but maybe sometime this week.

Terri, thanks for posting the BBQ sauce and rub recipes.

Last night we started out with Martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives and they are always so good. Geesh, I love vodka martinis!!

But the highlight of our NYE Dinner was the salad and the Green Goddess Dressing was outstanding. I'm not a big salad person but this dressing is a keeper.

For snacking during the bowl games we had bagels, cream cheese and smoked salmon. Gosh, it tasted so good!

We had another blizzard yesterday and it must have snowed for at least 10 hours. It seemed as if it was never going to stop and we got about another 8" of snow for a total of about 12" on the ground and today it snowed a tiny bit more. It is well over my boots now.

And it is up to the puppies necks!

Michelle

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Brrrrr...it's getting cold here too! I just got my Mac back from the data transfer and after a bunch of furniture moving this am, it was pizza for us too...Ledo pizza i.e. It was supposed to be a roast turkey surprise for Dick but noooooo time. grrrrrr. Oh well, tomorrow am, even tho we are going out with friends tomorrow night!! Hot turkey, cold turkey, he likes all kind of turkey - fortunately.

Kathleen, I'm glad to hear that the wee one ISN'T yours. Phew! I wondered how in the h*ll you could bake, and decorate AND have a new sprout!!! Glad to know you're relatively human!!! :-) And many good wishes for solid growth and easy parenting for the little one.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Furry babies!!!!!!!! I want a furry baby!!!

Okay well your salad looks amazing Michelle! I'm not much for salmon on bagels though..

Well I'm about to put a loaf of gluten free white bread in the oven..*but I just realized ..rereading the recipe that I shorted myself a 1/4c of milk...ooops...we'll see how it goes..looks right..dough seemed right too...

And after it's done..I'll throw some pork ribs in...I'm salivating...!!

• greginnd
    16 years ago

Happy New Year everyone. I really need to spend some more time over here. Everyone has such fantastic photos and wonderful creations.

I was inspired by Carol's spoons for these cold sesame soba noodle appetizers.

{{gwi:2089786}}

And I made this chocolate dessert by layering lefse with a chocolate ganache. Quick, easy and it tasted pretty good too.

{{gwi:2089789}}

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yikes, . Sorry for the typos in that last post!
    Thank you for you good wishes, Maureen. I think I am relatively human, depends on the day though, LOL!
    Michelle, the salad looks great, I am a salad person as long as you leave off peppers, etc. And I recog your Mikassa plate! They are all closed up, I will miss them!

Terri, hope your bread isn't too dry, and that your ribs are delicious!!

Tonight I made shrimp and linguine in wine sauce. These were 8 and under shrimp, they were HUGE. Could have done 2 each as we had a baked clam and then a spinach salad.
    Baked Clam

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I've said a little prayer or two for that small one, I hope he's better soon. As for the dishes, well, I guess I'll let you shop for me, LOL. I managed to go to ONE store and gave up in disgust, everything seems to be made in China and I'm just not impressed. My mother has begun to collect snowmen and she'd love that plate.

Stacy, that fruit cheesecake looks soooooo good.

SharonCB, your pictures are even more beautiful since my place looks much like Michele's. I love it, of course, but it's very different than it is here!

Linda, I'm glad to hear that Tim has a fine butt. That IS what you said, isn't it? (grin)

Michelle, those puppies are just so darned cute.

I'm so far behind I can't ever catch up but this was my New Year's Day dinner. Black eyed pea salad, turnip greens and a nicely rare t-bone steak. The peas are for good luck, the greens for prosperity and the steak because, well, because it sounded good. (grin) The salad was really good, a Cooking Light recipe. The dressing was a bit of low fat sour cream, some of my homemade lowfat yogurt and that orange muscat vinegar from Trader Joe's.

{{gwi:2089798}}

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Kathleen..Kamren was standing next to me when I scrolled down...He said your shrimp looks good but that "clam" NOT..LOL

But he wanted to resee that "thing" above..Greg's chocolate dessert..then wanted to know what it was.. LOL
    ~that's my boy..Chocolate first!

Annie..yummy looking steak!

Well the bread was not to dry..but it was a bit flat...I don't think the little extra liquid would make a difference..I'm going to ask in another post about what I could do to "change" it's flavor a bit. Must of been over all pretty good..I had to smack hands to save some for me to have a sandwich tomorrow! Best bake another loaf tomorrow too!

Anyway...here's finally a picture of a meal...

{{gwi:2089800}}

Baked Ribs, sauced after cooking, salad, roasted potatoes with Parm and a slice of Gluten Free White bread.

• woodie
    16 years ago

Those puppies are about as adorable as it gets - I just wish I could hug and snuggle with one of them!

Greg, I love the idea of using the spoons like that - what a great idea - you can put practically anything in them I suppose.

Kathleen - I'm also thinking about the grandbaby - hope to hear good news about him soon. I NEED that clam dish - info please??? (Snow? We had a few flurries this morning but that's all. Our friends had a clear shot driving home to Montauk yesterday from our house, no traffic at all but I guess they have snow today also. Good luck with the weather.)

We had some of Ken's homemade chicken soup for dinner last night - the last container in the freezer. It tasted so good after a lazy, snoozer of a New Year's Day :) Some of the leftover Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake was perfect with it.

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Woodie, want me to send you some snow? The banks in my driveway are officially over my head now, it's getting harder to shovel the driveway because I have no place to throw it.

Still, Elery got more than I did, they got nearly 2 feet of snow in 24 hours over the New Year's holiday. I will say that Michigan is very good at snow removal, having had lots of practice, LOL. No one I know even missed a minute of work, although the schools have been closed.

Annie

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

So many good food and photos again! Michelle I love the look of that salad with green goddess dressing.
    And your little babies are so cute covered in snow!
    Annie we do have snow but thank heavens it stays on the mountaintop.
    Greg....lovely dessert YUM!

I'm still talking about New Year's Eve when we ended up changing plans. Dec. 31 was such a beautiful wall to wall blue-skied sunny day that I didn't want to spend it fiddling in the kitchen and we all wanted to go out. (All means DH and I with our houseguest.) So we went to the French restaurant for a 3 pm dinner and as we weren't hungry enough for an elaborate meal again at night we were happy with a buffet of salad, ham, manchego cheese, olives & pickled onions, crusty brown bread & butter. We opened a nice red wine and one small benjamin bottle of bubbly at midnight. It was relaxed and easy. So we watched the year come in on our two TVs while tremendous firework displays went on outside from all sides of the valley. I peeled and deveined my shrimp in readiness for our traditional New Year vol au vent but ended up popping them in the deep freeze for another day.

I made a turkey noodle soup somewhere along the way and we started the January 1 dinner with soup followed by baked salmon in teriyaki sauce with green beans and baked yam. Today was leftover day, clearing out the fridge and using up all that we could.

We finally began work today on creating our new little patio in a corner of the front garden which becomes sun-drenched every late afternoon. It's up against the house and a wall so it's wind protected, private and has a magnificent view of the volcano. It's been my dream for a long time to make that into a sitting area for afternoon coffees, lounging and reading, just at a time when the sun has left the back garden and is shining fully on this tiny corner on the other side of the house.
    Today the workmen started and they say they'll be finished with paving and painting by noon Friday.... Yipee!

Pics from the French restaurant on Dec. 31:
    Dining room, Guest's Spaghetti Provençale, my Chicken Tarragon and Wolf's (he always has this) Salade Niçoise.
    Yesterday's soup and salmon at home.

Suzie in this morning's sun, a partial view of the area being dug over for new patio, and the builder checking the laying down of the concrete and reinforcing rods.

I was up early this morning to go with the builder to a tile factory to pick out the paving tiles. They're rough textured and off-white. Can't wait to sit in that corner! We have some extra patio chairs but just need an inexpensive little table and sun umbrella.

SharonCb

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, the food looks great, but I LOVE the dishes, the restaurant's are so pretty, and yours are gorgeous!! I am sure you have shared, what they are..but I would love to know, I am addicted!

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Dinner tonight was a simple "idea"..I had ground chicken, veggies and thai rice noodles..we love teriyaki flavors..

So I added some ground ginger, garlic and onion powder, pepper/salt, little wheat free soy sauce and a bit of sesame oil to the meat. Browned 'blobs' of it in a mixture of EVOO and sesame oil. Tossed in some fresh broccoli, baby carrots sliced and a 1/4 bag of predone tri color coleslaw.
    Then made a sauce of water, brown sugar, garlic and onion pow, ginger, soy, rice vinegar and sesame oil with arrowroot.

It was tasty!

I also baked a loaf of Gluten Free Banana Bread and right now have some GF Linzer bar cookies in the oven. Smeared with my HMade rasp freezer jam... Can't wait to try those!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Sharon, thanks for the kitty weather report, you know I love them!

Terri, I'll take the raspberry jam, OK? Tonight I made a batch of cornbread to go with the leftover turnip greens. That jam would be a nice addition, LOL. I had to go with my second choice, local honey.

Annie

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well Annie, I've got more in the freezer..and Tayberry too...The garage is always unlocked. LOL...Help yourself!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Thanks, Terri. How many days do you think it'll take me to drive there from Michigan, LOL?

Annie

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

We had BBQ-ed Turkey Legs for dinner last night. DH wanted turkey so I had these in the freezer. Mighty tasty

Linda

• Marigene
    16 years ago

Another hit and run.....dinner last night was meatballs from a recipe I have used for over 40 years. I make it about once a year now. I also did a little baking over the weekend!

{{gwi:2089811}}

Used up the last of the home made caramels to make Caramel Bars
    {{gwi:2089812}}

Chocolate Chip Cookies
    {{gwi:2089813}}

Almond Cakes with Ganache
    {{gwi:2089814}}

• compumom
    16 years ago

I see some friends from GB over here-- Greg and Kathleen. I was having lots of trouble posting and now even logging in over there. Are they down for you too?

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Ellen, you're not the only one. I also had trouble logging in at GB just minutes ago. I'll try again tonight.

Sol

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Annie, about 3 days..since you drive in snow the mountain pass shouldn't be a problem..

Marigene..Nice baking!
    Linda, yummy BBQ foooohdddd........

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Terri, the Jeep is warming up. I have to be careful that I'm not sidetracked in Wisconsin, home of Penzey's. (grin)

Annie

• stacy3
    16 years ago

marigene, I"m floored. Your pics and your creations are gorgeous.

And linda - Great looking turkey!

Michelle, I love those pups in the snow - could you tell me about that salad dressing? I'm craving it!

I have tonight's main course ready - I'll be picking Will up soon and going to pick out paint for his room, so there won't be much time later.

Scott and I finalized our wills this morning. Been puttting it off for soooooo long as I hate to think about the whole guardianship thing - and there was lots of disagreement about it - but it's done. I am so relieved.

I hope it's as good as I think it's going to be!

Stuffed Pork Tenderloin.

{{gwi:2089815}}

• User
    16 years ago

Dinner last night was pasta with meat sauce and a simple salad

Tonight I'm making a Chinese style Lemon Chicken, rice and steamed broccoli.

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Kathleen, I'd like your recipes for the clams and the shimp please...both look incredible!!

Lynda, did you BBQ the turkey...it looks so good!

Marigene...Marigene....Marigene!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Love the cakelettes with the Ganache and I was thinking of making some cakelettes today too!

Sol, I don't know what it is with GB but I have been unsubbed at least 3 times and have a heck of a time over there. If you're not subscribed you can not access the Help Menu nor anyone's email address. I finally just gave up.

Stacy, your stuffed pork looks fabulous! Make sure the post a pic of it cooked!! Here's the Green Goddess Dressing and it is just so good!

Basil Green Goddess Dressing

Copyright 2006, Barefoot Contessa at Home

1 cup good mayonnaise
    1 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts (6 to 7 scallions)
    1 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)**
    2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
    2 teaspoons anchovy paste
    2 teaspoons kosher salt ** (I skipped)
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup sour cream
    3 heads Bibb lettuce (I used any kind of lettuce)
    2 to 3 tomatoes

Place the mayonnaise, scallions, basil, lemon juice, garlic, anchovy paste, salt and pepper in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the sour cream and process just until blended. (If not using immediately, refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve.)

Cut each head of lettuce into quarters, remove some of the cores, and arrange on 6 salad plates. Cut the tomatoes into wedges and add to the plates. Pour on the dressing and serve.

**Notes: I got 1/4 c. lemon juice from 1/2 a lemon. And I skipped the salt due to the Anchovy Paste.

No baking or cooking to speak of here. I'm still trying to catch up from Christmas and New Years.

Michelle

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

I always wanted to try making turkey drums. One of these days.

Tonight I marinated (1 hour only) lean pork chops in a mixture of duck sauce, sweet & hot mustard, worcestershire, and the stepchild of cream of mushroom soup - Lipton's onion soup mix! Baked at 450 for 1/2 hour.

Served with pureed sweet potatoes, popcorn cauliflower (thanks AM!), and braised green beans with tomatoes which were really good.

Greg, your dessert looks great. Is Lefse something you can purchase? Thinking I could use nutella and it would be really quick!

I tired.

• msazadi
    16 years ago

Holy sheet Marigene...that truly all looks GOOOOD.

Well, my pork dinner turned out to be ...for tomorrow...since I didn't read the recipe again until too late for 5 hrs of cooking. I had thawed a turkey for a surprise to Dick but whichever day we were to have it seems to have been waylaid by new computer stuff. I spatchcoked it the other day then and roasted it with southwest seasoning. (Darn side by side refrig doesn't seem to have as much usable storage space at times...)

Well, that turkey became the meal for Boys Night In, and they were happy as clams. I made a gravy with some powdered green chile in it - half leftover fresh and half a jarred gravy. Sometimes you need what you need.

Macaroni and cheese and about 3 lb of our frozen yellow beans and 1 lb of store frozen green beans, sauted with an onion and a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles. That veggie got raves, and couldn't be simpler.

Dessert was Ann T's bread pudding with homemde caramel sauce. I tried to get them to finish up our cookies, but they only ate half. Oh well....there's only a small amount, and I prob will freeze them for desperation times.

I know there were a bunch of men who won't be cold tonight! This is sooo much fun for me to do, and I had a nice walk to and from the library in the cold night.

• kathleen_li
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marigene, those goodies look delicious. I see you are using your new little pans, they are adorable!

Michelle, thanks for that recipe. Is Hellman's good enough??
    I will email you the recipe..
    Stacy, I hope your tenderloin came out the way you wanted!

It is way below freezing here, so Maureen you are a good soul to go out!!

• Gina_W
    16 years ago

A couple weeks ago I tried something new - spaghettini with toasted bread crumbs. It was really good and so simple. I've already made it twice as a side dish. Basically you heat some olive oil in a pan until very hot, add bread crumbs and cook until crispy. I used panko. I added dried shallots and chopped nicoise olives, S&P to taste. Then tossed the noodles in the crumbs. Yummy comfort food.

Tonight I braised lamb shoulder chops in wine and tomatoes and made some butternut squash soup. I've made better soup - I didn't have homemade chix broth so I used Penzey's soup base instead. Passable but not the same.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    16 years ago

Hope everyone had happy holidays!

Wow kathleen's what a gorgeous Christmas setting. I don't have anything that great. But here are my cookies left for Santa.

After all the holiday junk food we ate, we had a simple french onion soup. That's about a third of the way through carmelizing the onions (should take a good 2 1/2 hours). I was going to ask, is there any easy good way to make the crouton? before cooking it, but was tired I just winged it. I still think there has to be a better way!
    {{gwi:2089820}}

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

I've been reading and enjoying. My picturs are waiting to be organized, I have been cooking, in fact. I'm about cooked out! It's certainly been a busy, busy few weeks.

But... there's light to the east... I'm almost done working until Memorial Day....yippppeeee!

Stacy..great looking pork tenderloin... yum.

Marigene..goodies galore that look soooooo good. Yesterday I was thinking I might quit baking and cooking for at least a few weeks.....ain't gonna happin'....not with the inspiration around here.

Nancy

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Maggie, Popcorn Cauliflower? I must have missed that could you repost or point me to the post. Thanks!

Maureen, you are so lucky to be able to walk to a library, that has been a dream of mine FOREVER. I love nothing better then sitting in an aisle in the library, with books all spread out, my pocket computer, reading and jotting notes.

Kathleen, Hellman's mayonnaise is just fine. And thanks again for the recipes!!

Gina, gosh I've never had spaghetti and bread crumbs and it does sound so good. I've copied and will try it soon!

Rob, your cookies are so cute! And the ingredients you have spread out for the Onion Soup look perfect. What kind of cheese is that?

I think I will have Joe make dinner because I'm baking tonight!! Got 2 breads rising and grated cheese ready and 3 more recipes to complete.

Michelle

• User
    16 years ago

So many wonderful meals. I need to play catch up.

Stacy, great photo. I love stuffed pork tenderloin.

Sharon, I can't wait to see your finished patio.

Marigene, I want one of your caramel bars.

Sharon, spaghetti with meat sauce. That is my idea of comfort food. I have some meatballs in the freezer. Maybe we will have spaghetti and meatballs this weekend.

Ann

• maggie2094
    16 years ago

Here you go, Michelle - from AM:

POPCORN CAULIFLOWER

2 heads cauliflower
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    6-8 Tbl lve oil

Cut the cauliflower into small florets, toss the stems. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and toss the cauliflower to coat it. Put the cauliflower in a single layer on a lined pan and Roast at 450 for about 35 minutes, tossing occasionally.
    AM

I halved it. We had Shepherd's Pie tonight. I normally love it and it was good but I am going through another "grossed out by ground beef" stage - and I have another pound in the fridge I have to do something with tomorrow and freeze. I can't help it - I start thinking about e-coli and other things.

So, went to CVS thinking I could get some mitten bowls or cute stuff like Kathleen - of course I am 2-3, 7 days too late. All they had was Hersey's holiday kisses for 40 cents a bag. The flavors are: candy cane, hot cocoa, cherry cordial, caramel - oh my. I need this like I need an extra hole on my belt.

So, I will close this thread with the age old question...how many kisses do you think equals a regular size candy bar? Just trying to gauge how piggish I should feel right now. I threw the reminder in the freezer for their own safety.

• lyndaluu2
    16 years ago

I just BBQed it in the oven...

Linda

• mer4205
    16 years ago

Sitting here listening to Garrison Keillor's show - drinking chardonnay and I decided to lurk- OMG the pictures are fabulous! I am now just starving and realize the wine by itself is not enough! The pictures of your fantastic dishes are mouthwatering! Guess I will grill a lamb chop and have a potato pancake and a nice salad. I do enjoy to cook and don't have a problem cooking for one. Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday night! - MARIA