SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen980

Red sauce and tofu advice

ganggreen980
14 years ago

DH is currently recovering from his third surgery in 13 months for kidney stones. In one year, he grew 6 kidney stones in one kidney, most over 1 cm in size. He grew an additional 7 mm stone in his third kidney. He has a duplicate system resulting in 2 ureters in the space of one normal ureter, almost all the way down to the bladder. We've talked with the surgeon and we've done research.

Many people are simply "stone formers," and DH is one of those. Diet can contribute to the formation of stones. The list of things to eliminate includes but is not limited to: Leafy greens such as spinach and kale, eggplant, all nuts but especially peanuts and peanut products, all dairy, tomatoes, anything with seeds, all berries, most root veggies, whole bran and whole wheat, meat, soy products, beans, chocolate, tea, and coffee. While citrus fruit is okay, the zest or peel is not. Again, this is a limited list.

So, the surgeon's comment is that obviously it's unreasonable to maintain this restrictive of a diet for any length of time. His suggestions are to completely avoid chocolate, spinach, all berries, all nuts and nut products, tomatoes but very specifically anything in concentrated form such as sauces.

For the rest of the list, we're using moderation rather than elimination.

Here is my question. It has become apparent that I'm rather reliant on tomato-based sauces such as BBQ sauce, ketchup, and spaghetti sauce. Last night I made meatballs. The sauce I typically bake the meatballs in consists of ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, worshestershire (spelling!), a little garlic powder, and water. I did find a sweet and sour sauce to sub, and while it was liked by the kids, it was primarily sugar - something I'm not willing to do often. What could I make that could be mixed up as quickly as that sauce but would not be tomato based?

The same issue goes for spaghetti. I typically make spaghetti once every two weeks or so, sometimes once a week. Just a real basic, slightly more than takeout spaghetti - Noodles with spaghetti sauce. I have often mixed regular spaghetti sauce with an alfredo-type sauce. Keeping in mind that spaghetti nights are "get dinner on the table in the time it takes the water to boil" type of nights, what else could I use?

Tim's first thought was to go with mac & cheese, but our waistlines will not handle that on a regular basis. LOL

As for the tofu, my pseudovegetarian son who will only eat a bit of chicken, discovered "tofu soup" while at Outdoor School last month. I've tried unsuccessfully to find recipes. Would any of you have something I could try? Of note, he does not like cooked veggies. He will eat a nice variety of raw veggies but nothing cooked.

Now if only you could help me with dinners over Christmas accommodating the above and in addition my diabetic father and my "going off of meat" mom! In addition, she's supposed to keep sodium below 1,000 mg daily. Nah, that's got to be another post! Sigh.

Comments (28)